headgasket question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
headgasket question

Alright this question may be completely nooby, but I never can really find any good info on the matter.

Why is it i hear about so many turboed 5.0 head gaskets failing.. this is one of the things holding me back from a turbo system (that and losing the flawless mustang exhaust sound). Why do the gaskets blow?

I would seriously shoot something if I spent all the money and time getting a turbo kit installed and blow a headgasket

How is changing the sparkplugs on a turbo setup?

1994 Lazer Red GT Vert :: Bilsteins :: mach springs :: MM lower control arms :: MM subframes :: 03 Cobra A-arms :: Cobra brakes :: 03 cobra steering shaft:: Aluminum DS :: Pulleys :: CAI :: Bassani O/R system :: 3.55 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
do some research

Dart Blocked SBF, PT106mm, Callies Magnum Crank, Oliver billet rods. New top end package in the works
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
U.S. Air Force RETIRED

Trader Feedback: (88)
knock on wood I haven't popped one yet...most gaskets fail from a lean condition or getting to greedy with timing on pump gas...

I run Fel Pro 9333PT1 gaskets and have worked well for me and anyone I know who runs them on S/C, Nitrous, and turbo cars

1990 Mustang GT
2004 Mystichrome Cobra
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypowa2 View Post
Alright this question may be completely nooby, but I never can really find any good info on the matter.

Why is it i hear about so many turboed 5.0 head gaskets failing.. this is one of the things holding me back from a turbo system (that and losing the flawless mustang exhaust sound). Why do the gaskets blow?

I would seriously shoot something if I spent all the money and time getting a turbo kit installed and blow a headgasket

How is changing the sparkplugs on a turbo setup?
Because people who buy turbo are those that arent even satisfied with enough horsepower NA. So all the people who want crazy horsepower are the people who tend to push their combos. People who push their combos and run trubo usually have a high tendancy for engine failure. Headgaskets usally blow becuase someone gets agressive on their tune, which figures into the people with turbos. changing spark plugs on the passanger side of a single turbo is a real PITA (assuming yours is on that side).

BTW im bolting on a t66 to a 10.5:1 compression motor as we speak. Im hoping to keep it together to start at 6 psi then work my way up. I give it 50/50 that Ill blow a headgasket in the first month.

1995 Mustang GT - 347 - PT7576
2004 Mazda RX8 - 13B-REW BWS362
2013 Mercedes GLK-350
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Headgaskets blow and pistons break from a bad
or over aggressive tune .............. period

most people also use cheap headgaskets so at the first ping
they blow right out.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
You get alot with a turbo setup. It does put a strain on a stock setup. You can easily start lifting heads with stock headbolts. I think ARP studs plus 9333pt1 felpros combined with a good tune and you are good to go. But as you mess with turbo or forced induction stuff, you need to be open to the idea of replacing headgaskets/pistons/etc. Comes with the territory. Your motor will be doubling its intended hp and torque. You don't get aught for naught.
As far as plugs go-I would think it depends alot on the turbo setup. On my homebuilt one with P heads, it is not that bad on the passengerside-so long as you replace them from under the car. No way could you do it from the top.
The real pain is replacing headgaskets when you have to take all the turbo stuff off in addition to everything else.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have not blown a gasket, and made about 7 track passes and 2500 hard miles running 13.2 afr

1994 Turbo GT
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (62)
I myself have had zero head gasket problems. I use fel-pro 9333 pt1, ARP head studs and a good SCT turn form Bob Kurgan. Car sees about 14psi. A lot of it has to do with the tune, but Heads studs over bolts does help to.

As for changing spark plugs, will that depends on the kit you have

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have the FRPP 1011-2(or the -1 i forget) which is a fel-pro gasket. 15lbs of boost. No problems.

I have the hp turbo, and changing plugs or checking them is fairly easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement