BEST TURBO TUNER IN MICHIGAN OR CLOSE - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (29)
BEST TURBO TUNER IN MICHIGAN OR CLOSE

going with one of quick times single turbos and need to know who people reccomend in michigan or something fairly close for tunning. i know you get what you pay for. any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (38)
alternative automotive,

1988 notch
post #3 of 29 Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

do they have a good track record and what is there average price. where are they at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (62)
Don't know how fair you are willing to go but I have had Bob kurgan tune my last 2 set up and he has done a great job. He has tuned many cars from here and everyone is very happy with the work that he does.

http://www.kurganmotorsports.com/

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
x2 on Alternative Auto. Lidio has an excellent reputation!
post #6 of 29 Old 07-22-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

is a turbo diffrent to tune than a supercharger. the reason i ask is because paul saviniki of pauls high performance is just a couple of minutes away. it just seems hes so busy and its hard to talk to anybody there. and mainly i see vortech setups there.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
x2 Bob Kurgan! If you go with someone else, you still might want to talk to Bob about eddy current. Cheaper dynos don't have it and if they don't it doesn't put a proper load on your car which means you wont spool and build boost like you do during driving. Thats why I had to trailer my car out to a shop farther away because the shop he uses close to my house, didn't have it. It only comes standard on the more expensive setups. Heres more info:

http://www.dynojet.com/automotive_dy...dyCurrent.html

Matt
'95 GTS - (no engine) | TR-6060 | 9" w/Tru-Trac | Griggs T/A | MM Panhard | Koni DAs
post #8 of 29 Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewiz View Post
x2 Bob Kurgan! If you go with someone else, you still might want to talk to Bob about eddy current. Cheaper dynos don't have it and if they don't it doesn't put a proper load on your car which means you wont spool and build boost like you do during driving. Thats why I had to trailer my car out to a shop farther away because the shop he uses close to my house, didn't have it. It only comes standard on the more expensive setups. Heres more info:

http://www.dynojet.com/automotive_dy...dyCurrent.html
Very good point that is the reason why I too take my car 120 miles away from my house to dyno tuning.

By the way bikewiz how is the car doing? Hope you are having better luck then when you got it going.

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfive0 View Post
By the way bikewiz how is the car doing? Hope you are having better luck then when you got it going.

Yeah things are going a lot better. I went drag racing again, and bent the brand new axle. Most likely b/c I was running wheel spacers to fit the 335 Hoosier DRs. I caved and called up Moser and ordered a complete 9" rear end with a 3.50 ratio. Gonna have to weld the tri-link to the top of it. However, I got them to widen the axle 3/4" on each side so I dont have to run wheel spacers anymore. After talking to Bob about axle companies, I wish I would have gone with Strange instead.

I was actually bs-ing with Bob today for a while on the phone. Told him about this post and about how both you and I recommended him, lol. He was telling me more about your car, he really likes it. He said - and I quote, "For what the car is and what he has in it, it makes a stupid amount of power!" Thats sayin a lot coming from Kurgan who runs low 8's. How is your car doin?

Matt
'95 GTS - (no engine) | TR-6060 | 9" w/Tru-Trac | Griggs T/A | MM Panhard | Koni DAs
post #10 of 29 Old 07-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewiz View Post

I was actually bs-ing with Bob today for a while on the phone. Told him about this post and about how both you and I recommended him, lol. He was telling me more about your car, he really likes it. He said - and I quote, "For what the car is and what he has in it, it makes a stupid amount of power!" Thats sayin a lot coming from Kurgan who runs low 8's. How is your car doin?
Will I know I don't have much into it but the car would not make the power it does with out him I just come up with the set up and put it together. He makes it run the way it does.

It is doing ok. I have not got to drive it that much because I just got married and have been doing wedding stuff. Only gone to the track a few times and did a burn out for about 1300 of the 1320. But I just got my Baseline rear suspensions in and anti roll bar so I hope for it go better here soon.

post #11 of 29 Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah Bob Kurgan tuned cars tend to have traction issues, thats the only downside lol. He should have that disclaimer on his website!

You got a pretty sweet setup, you should do fine. What tire are you running? I've got just a street/road race suspension with that 335 Hoosier DR and the one time I kinda had a good run my 60' was 1.60.

Matt
post #12 of 29 Old 07-28-2007, 05:50 PM

I have a set of M/T ET streets but I also have a set of 3.27's gears in the rear and that is not helping at all.

post #13 of 29 Old 07-28-2007, 08:53 PM

You say 3.27, but the sig says 3.73. I use a 3.55, well now a 3.50 since I'm going 9". 3.27 should be perfect to make boost. Your boost must not come on that well in 1st and 2nd with the 3.73 huh?

Matt
post #14 of 29 Old 07-29-2007, 09:06 PM

That sig needs to be changed I don't even have the 331 anymore. I am makeing my power on a stock 302 short block. Yes the 3.27 bring the boost on really nice and fast.

post #15 of 29 Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesna150 View Post
is a turbo diffrent to tune than a supercharger. the reason i ask is because paul saviniki of pauls high performance is just a couple of minutes away. it just seems hes so busy and its hard to talk to anybody there. and mainly i see vortech setups there.
It is different then a S/C. Pauls does mainly blower setups because they are all off the shelf parts, he's done so many of them and has a superchips most combinations that will get you close with a tune up...Its like an assembly line almost...He's cool to talk to sometimes, but my opinion is just that...Although I dont really know where else you might take it to have it tuned...What about D&D in Wixom? Are you wanting a chip, or do you have something aftermarket?

"All your base are belong to us"
post #16 of 29 Old 08-02-2007, 04:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion'01 View Post
x2 on Alternative Auto. Lidio has an excellent reputation!
x3
Lidio is great to deal with, he's tuned 4 of my cars as wel as my family/friends. Very fair and straight forward.
I'm sure Kurgan is good too, but if you're in MI Alternative Auto all the way.
I hope to put a big # up on their dyno very soon.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
My car - https://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=925968 was tuned by Sean @ C.A.R.S. Automotive in Waterford, MI 248.682.3840

Also, I know for a fact that Dan Millen is doing all the tuning for Livernois Motorsports down in Dearborn, MI. However, you have to schedule ahead of time because Dan's race schedule has him out of town quite often during the race season. But Dan know's how to tune, that's for sure. 313.561.5500

qikazz

'91 mod motor, turbocharged notchback, mid-8s... (SOLD)
'91 331ci GT, twin 76mm turbos, hopefully mid-7s...
'03 Evo, 2.0L, 68mm turbo, AWD street terror, mid-9s
post #18 of 29 Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qikazz View Post

Also, I know for a fact that Dan Millen is doing all the tuning for Livernois Motorsports down in Dearborn, MI. However, you have to schedule ahead of time because Dan's race schedule has him out of town quite often during the race season. But Dan know's how to tune, that's for sure. 313.561.5500

qikazz

Having Dan tune an Accell DFI on my car was the worst decision I ever made. He couldn't get it right even NA.
Stay away from there IMO.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

i think im going to go with Alternative Auto. i called and there in the process of moving so ill wait a couple of days.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Yep, last I talked to Lidio it would be mid-August until things are smooth at the new place.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #21 of 29 Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
+1 on the eddy current setup, you can look for shops with mustang dynos as well
post #22 of 29 Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiLX View Post

Having Dan tune an Accell DFI on my car was the worst decision I ever made. He couldn't get it right even NA.
-J
...and yet he tunes his own car, which happens to be one
of the fastest in the country and runs 6's @ 210+mph
frequently. Sounds like there is more to the story to me.

Black '03 Cobra Coupe
2.2L KB | NX | Solid Axle | 620rwhp (no nitrous)
post #23 of 29 Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit213 View Post
...and yet he tunes his own car, which happens to be one
of the fastest in the country and runs 6's @ 210+mph
frequently. Sounds like there is more to the story to me.
You can think what you want.
I'm not gonna get into any more details than I've already posted, if you want more details you can PM me.
If you don't think he's had some very experienced tuners get that car to where it is you're sadly mistaken.
I'm glad you always support Livernois but I am one of the people that they did not do right by. I already said taking my car there was the worst decision I've made with the car.
You have a Cobra (probably SCT tuned, which Dan does not do) so unless you have personal experience with Dan tuning your aftermarket EFI you do not have the experience I have. As I said, PM me if you have a problem.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #24 of 29 Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
If you don't think he's had some very experienced tuners get that car to where it is you're sadly mistaken.
On the chassis, I would agree. But no one touches the tune in that car
but him.

Quote:
so unless you have personal experience with Dan tuning your aftermarket EFI you do not have the experience I have.
I do have personal experience with Dan and with his tuning abilities.
That's why I can honestly say that he's one of the best out there
and that's extremely evident by the way his personal car performs.

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience and I can appreciate your
frustrations. Good luck with your car!

Black '03 Cobra Coupe
2.2L KB | NX | Solid Axle | 620rwhp (no nitrous)
post #25 of 29 Old 08-26-2007, 05:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Just my opinion, but I'd take it to Dan Millen also. Lidio is good, but he mostly does supercharged cars, and more importantly, his dyno is a dynojet, which doesn't work as well with turbo cars. The Mustang dyno works much better with turbos than the dynojet.

post #26 of 29 Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:

-J
No thats for sure your car didn't turn out right. It had nothing to due with my tuning ability, there was some voltage and wiring issues and I can agree the car was never right. It was the only car I ever seen of the 100's of DFI's I have looked at where the airfuel was all over the place and kept changing. Just for your knowledge I didn't completely tune your car, another guy at our shop did. I did try and give some pointers and did help him but there was definitely some sort of problem. This is why NOW I am the only one who tunes cars period. Until I can find a guy that can, I will continue to be the tuner. I have to say sorry, if there is something I can do for you let me know. I will make it right, most people that know me, know I am a reasonable guy.

Thanks

Dan Millen
post #27 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Lidio is good, but he mostly does supercharged cars, and more importantly, his dyno is a dynojet, which doesn't work as well with turbo cars. The Mustang dyno works much better with turbos than the dynojet.
I agree with the loaded dyno statement, it is more important with a turbo car. I talked with Lidio at Milan and he mentioned possibly upgrading the dynojet to the loading type when he moved, but I'm not sure. Either way he spends time on the road/highway to make adjustments as well as after I have it on the track. He does do more supercharged SCT stuff now, but tuning is tuning, he has a lot of FAST experience, and he's tuned 3 of my cars with great customer service everytime.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #28 of 29 Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Millen View Post
No thats for sure your car didn't turn out right. It had nothing to due with my tuning ability, there was some voltage and wiring issues and I can agree the car was never right. It was the only car I ever seen of the 100's of DFI's I have looked at where the airfuel was all over the place and kept changing. Just for your knowledge I didn't completely tune your car, another guy at our shop did. I did try and give some pointers and did help him but there was definitely some sort of problem. This is why NOW I am the only one who tunes cars period. Until I can find a guy that can, I will continue to be the tuner. I have to say sorry, if there is something I can do for you let me know. I will make it right, most people that know me, know I am a reasonable guy.

Thanks

Dan Millen
Dan:
That's good to hear for the sake of your customer's. Thats the same feeling I got from speaking with Scott back over a year ago when he said changes had been made, but because of my experience I won't bring the car back or recommend you to anyone.
To me, it's a past issue now and I'm over it, but for the money I spent and the amount of time the car was at the shop to make it right, I can't see any reason it left the way it did. It may not have been your tuning, but you knew those issues and they should have been worked out.
Last, I don't go around bashing you or your company (this post and the one on Milan have been my only real posts like that) and I do hope things have changed.
Best of luck in the future.
-J

'91 LX hatch
Bimini Blue
427"/88mm at 16 psi
post #29 of 29 Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Pande Televski of Pande's Performance is the best in my opinion. He is an expert w/DFI, so if you have it, he's the man to go to. I've been around the block a few times and won't take my car to anyone else. His prices are fair and he's in westland. His shop phone # is734-326-2872. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement