Go turbo or leave it be? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (14)
Go turbo or leave it be?

I currently have a Vortech sq s trim installed. I have had it on there for about 2 months. Ive put 1k miles on it so far. I really like the s/c and car runs great. I have a good tune using a draw through maf car runs/drives good. I use to have a turbo car and there is definately two different kinda of feels to the power. I personaly like the turbo feel better.

I really like the fact that I would be intercooled. Im currently running 20* timing non cooled on my 306. I have forged low compression pistons a little over 8 to 1. Im making around 15 psi now.

Do you guys think its worth it to go turbo? I would like the torque increase and the power down lower. I only take my car to 5500 rpms and I would only like to make about the same hp just match it with torque maybe a little more (hopefully). I would like a quick spooling turbo but nothing to small I have to use lots of boost to make good power. Im thinking maybe a garret t-64 or the t-70 seems to be really popular. As far as tuning goes I would think I can just use my draw through maf and a by-pass and just use my tune i have? I would just use a dyno and play with boost but I would think that it would work out just fine not much to it lol..

Having a stock block is a turbo easier on the engine then the supercharger? I ask because of the free power from exhaust and you dont have strain on the crank from the belt. I currently run a 3.73 its way to big I think. I'd like to go at least a 3.55 with the s/c. Should I go even lower with the turbo if i decide to do it? Because Im only going 5500 with 3.73 and a 26.5 tire im only hitting 116 in 4th. I just want to be able to drive through the 1/4. Maybe 127 or so. Is there a gear between 3.27 and 3.55?

Sorry so long I thank anyone in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Im not understanding how none of the 40 views have any input. Should i try different questions or what..

Last edited by slo5.0.; 05-28-2007 at 05:53 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
If you've got that kind of money, maybe you should consider putting it elsewhere, like a dart block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
A 3.27 gear would get you your trap speed and would be the best gear to run IMO, since it's what I run, also most turbo setups are blow thru and regardless you would still need to tune and yes turbo cars are a little easier on the motor since they don't run off the crank.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is your suspension set up like? I would look at that first and spend the money on that before i worried about other things if your car sees a lot of track time
post #6 of 11 Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
To answer your question about gears, there is a 3.31 that comes in the new Shelby's, I believe Pro 5.0 makes them in that size as well.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

never seen a 1/4 before. I dont have that kind of money, I plan on selling the s/c possibly then goin turbo from there plus some $. I will have to look in to that 331
post #8 of 11 Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
I would leave it alone.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I agree.

If you were starting from scratch, then yah, I'd say go turbo but since you have a supercharged car that is running great, leave it alone. You can always change to a smaller pulley later.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
bro, go turbo.. I recently did and my car is amazing.. It runs so smooth and easy on the street and runs [email protected] on drag radials and still has a/c. I went with a bg turbo kit and never looked back again!! Good luck with your decision

post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement