New Guy with simple question, kinda long - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
New Guy with simple question, kinda long

Hey guys,

I am rather new to forced induction, I just sold my '03 Cobra to buy a house, and i bought a '91 notch. My issue is i miss the boost and HP related to the boost. I am searching for the ideal system to put on my notch. it is a daily driver, and i am only looking 10psi max. anywhere from 5-10psi would be fine. I need something basic, streetable, and rather easy. I am looking for suggestions from the turbo and blower guys as to which will be more effective to install keeping the factory block, trans etc.

As i said it is a daily driver so reliability would be another important factor. I am not looking to make 1000Hp, just a reasonable level that would put me back into the HP feeling the cobra had. (Knowing that it pushed 400+ but weighed more, i am not looking to match teh cobra HP exactly). Any opinions or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Well, since driveability is an issue, I say go turbo....Turbo cars drive like stockers.....Especially when you retain the stock cam....Turbos are also easier on your internals.....A decent turbo system is $3K though.....You can buy a nice used S-trim for around $1600 and get you maybe 300rwhp....But the beauty of a turbo is that you don't have to spin the crank outta the motor to make boost and power.....Turbo's are fairly rough on stock T-5's though...The torque they make rains havic on the 10spline input shaft.....Most stock 5.0's with 7-8psi from a turbo will put down 375-400 through a stick.....Hope that helps..

post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM

I am assuming your notch is stock? IMO, you can get what you are looking for supercharged, for less money. Get a TFS-h/c/i combo(or something similar), vortech s-trim, 30-42lb injectors, and you will make over 450hp easily. A turbo would make more hp, but the money would be a little bit more. I agree that a turbo is probly a little more street friendly, maybe, but most likely about same as supercharged.

My old combo, consisted of gt40 intake, Y303 heads, Fcam, 30lbinj, c&l maf, S-trim, and I made 450rwhp. The car would run 11.40-50's @ 122 all day and pull down 22mpg hgwy, with a 3.55 gear. I still had a/c and excellent drivability. BUT, the block split in half just in about a year and a half.

Last edited by fred50stang; 05-17-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Don't forget your notch is WAY lighter than that terminator.
I have both supercharger and turbo mustangs. I would say both are street friendly. But tasting both, I like the turbo better for power and the blower for simplicity of piping. You will reach your goal either way.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input, if i went turbo what would be the better A/R size for a single and twin? The notch is lightly modded with exhaust and gears, I am looking to put an intake and cam in it, and possibly heads, we will see. also, of course i will be up grading the fuel to accomadate the changes. Any other suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
A single system with a 62-1 and .81 A/R you would reach your goal. I would stick with a F-cam because its a very mild cam and a great turbo cam off the shelf. I had a T-trim running 17-19psi with a killer topend and would get smoked by a friends turbo car on 12psi. Turbo is the only way to go.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=76547.0

That is my build up and I have 350 in the turbo piping total including the headers 450 if you include the V-band clamps. All my piping is 304 stainless I got out of a scrap pile at a local muffler shop. If you are good with your hands its easy to do yourself.

All in all you can put a complete kit together for around 1000-1500 that includes the headers, piping, turbo, BOV, wastegate, and intercooler. Sure you may not have all the highdollar stuff but you will get 400-500 HP.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I've had both blower cars and turbo cars in the past....I'll NEVER have another blower car.....Hence why I have another turbo stang....Turbo's are the #####.....If motor "y" and motor "x" have the same specs, i.e. heads, cam, intake, cubic inches, then strap a turbo on it in place of the blower, you'll gain 100rwhp at the same boost level.....And will have better driveability.....
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I agree with Erich in that either way will bring you to your desired goal. The turbo is addicting yes and I have enjoyed my time with several systems and several motors but again the superchargers are less expensive, easier to install and reliable. It comes down to money, the deals you are getting, and just plain discretion.

65 Mustang
68 Barracuda 440
Sponsored Links
Advertisement