problems with my turbo coupe.. Expert advice needed.. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
problems with my turbo coupe.. Expert advice needed..

hey fellas, I've got a bug/misfire in my mustang that has me stumped. To start from the top, its a 93 stock bottom end, edelbrock heads, tfs cam/tfs intake, b/g headers with a mpt70,c4,42lb injectors,pmas calibrated and all the good stuff. Car was fine, we dynoed it about a month ago and it made 491 with 10 lbs of boost but was leaning out due to no fuel system. Fast forward to recent, I installed an aeromotive pump with a filter before and after, dash8 feed with dash6 return, aeromotive rails/aeromotive fuel reg.. That night I didn't get to dyno and drove home. I noticed the car would misfire when sitting at a light and thought it was loading up or something. I didn't get on it until I got back on the dyno. Today we strap the car to the dyno, make a hit. Fuel pressure was fine/ air fuel was fine/ but the car still has an intermittent misfire and feels flat. Check the timing and its the same, set at 26 total.(c16 only).. To wrap this up the car wouldn't make over 350 to the wheels today.. I'm so bumed out because im pretty mechanically inclined.. I tried another a9l and it was the same. I can only think that I have a problem with my distributor or my air flow meter.. I'm sorry for the long post but I don't want to leave anything out.. thanks and please try to help!

miamijdm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered User
 
Erich's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: MD
Posts: 5,957
Just to make sure, try a leakdown or compression test just to make sure you didn't damage anything when it was lean. Or maybe a plug messed up..
What plug gap are you running? You should be at 0.025 or else you could be blowing spark out (as they say). Another thing, check your plug wires really carefully. Are you burning any with the turbo setup? Watch the motor run in the dark and look for arcing. Also make sure you are not bubbling coolant.
Just a bunch of random ideas but maybe its the wires. That would give you the misfire and it is easy to have something too close and burn up the insulation on the wire.
Erich


97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
Erich is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chambersburg, pa
Posts: 646
Garage
x2 on the wires i had a number two cylinder wire burn up and my car was missing and popping through the tailpipes, slapped a stock plug wire on it I had laying around and it cleared right up. on my new set of wires I am going to run heat sleaves on them.
strkdblwncapri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Just to make sure, try a leakdown or compression test just to make sure you didn't damage anything when it was lean. Or maybe a plug messed up..
What plug gap are you running? You should be at 0.025 or else you could be blowing spark out (as they say). Another thing, check your plug wires really carefully. Are you burning any with the turbo setup? Watch the motor run in the dark and look for arcing. Also make sure you are not bubbling coolant.
Just a bunch of random ideas but maybe its the wires. That would give you the misfire and it is easy to have something too close and burn up the insulation on the wire.
Erich
im running a plug gap of .035 same thing I was running when I dynoed 490. I have the taylor shielding on the wires so I don't think its my wires.. The car was fine when it was lean before the fuel system. I brought the boost down to 8psi that day and didn't change anything except the fuel system till now.. never even got on it..
miamijdm is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 581
I had my autolites gapped at .037 and the car ran and dynoed fine, I put a 1000 miles on it and it started misfiring-pulled the plugs and the sharp edges of the electrode were rounded a bit, closed gap to.030 and has been fine ever since.
Just my experience.

89'LX 306,T.W.heads,perf.intake,36's,stock cam/1.7's,70mmT.B.,T-56,3.27's,Twin 60/63 T3's intercooled,14psi,Evolution WG's, Meth inj.
579.2rwhp 658.6rwtq,[email protected] kicked off track
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MOOVS is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOVS View Post
I had my autolites gapped at .037 and the car ran and dynoed fine, I put a 1000 miles on it and it started misfiring-pulled the plugs and the sharp edges of the electrode were rounded a bit, closed gap to.030 and has been fine ever since.
Just my experience.
i'll give that a shot this weekend.. I have a fresh set of plugs to put in there. thnks
miamijdm is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered User
 
stephen_wehner's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morris Cty, NJ and Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 231
sounds like either spark plugs have the wrong gap or a burnt wire

My plugs are gapped at 33
stephen_wehner is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 05-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 4,744
kinda sounds like lean backfiring to me.

What did your a/f's look like on the dyno pulls???
r.barn is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
kinda sounds like lean backfiring to me.

What did your a/f's look like on the dyno pulls???
the car hasn't been lean. It was at 11.0 all afternoon..
miamijdm is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 4,744
has to be in the spark somewhere then

1. do a compression or leak down test make sure everything
is still sealing inside the engine good. ( i dont think this is your prob though )

2. Start from the plugs and work your way back to
ignition box make sure plugs, wires, dizzy, cap and rotor
coil and ignition box and everything is providing spark like it should.
and double check ALL grounds, bad grounds do wierd things too.

Sorry cant be more help ....... kinda strange problem you got here.


Let us know..............


Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
r.barn is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
has to be in the spark somewhere then

1. do a compression or leak down test make sure everything
is still sealing inside the engine good. ( i dont think this is your prob though )

2. Start from the plugs and work your way back to
ignition box make sure plugs, wires, dizzy, cap and rotor
coil and ignition box and everything is providing spark like it should.
and double check ALL grounds, bad grounds do wierd things too.

Sorry cant be more help ....... kinda strange problem you got here.


Let us know..............
I ordered another distributor, and im going to do just as you said.. this has to be an ignition prob.. so new cap/rotor/wires and plugs are going on this week.. I'll keep you guys updated.
miamijdm is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Registered User
 
Erich's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (20)
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: MD
Posts: 5,957
With my stock ignition, I had to run 0.025 gap. 0.035 cut out as soon as there was 5 psi.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
Erich is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
With my stock ignition, I had to run 0.025 gap. 0.035 cut out as soon as there was 5 psi.
Erich
im going to give that shot tomorrow. thanks
miamijdm is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: miami,Fl
Posts: 296
wow.. let me start off saying THANKS to all that tried to help me out with this.. I went to the shop today and found 2 sparkplug wires burned inside the high temp sleeves that I have on my wires. I changed cap rotor plugs and wires and the mis is gone!! woohoo.. to make the night better, I dynoed it with c16 in the tank, 13 degrees of timing with the spout and 12 lbs of boost through a c4 and it made 520 whp!!!!! im stoked to say the least!!!! thanks to all again!!!!
miamijdm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome