just some info - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
just some info

hey guys.. just a quick question or to..

i am looking into going turbo and was wondering what recommendations you would have.. i have no experience with a turbo car at all and will be doing all the work myself except for the tuning.

Current setup:
TF track heat heads
TF track heat intake
TF cam stg I (221/224, .490/.510 @112)
TF pushrods
Lucas 1.6rr
24# bosch injectors
BBK CAI fenderwell
PP 70mm TB
Pro-M 75mm MAS coversion
Tremec t-3550
FR Aluminum Driveshaft
FR 3.73
FR double roller timing chain
FR valve covers
FR lifters
Fluidyne 2 core aluminum radiator
Black magic electric fan
MSD 6al
MSD coil
Holly 190 litre fp
BBK equal length shorties
Basani X

i dont plan on going stupid as hell or anything.. i would be happy with between 500-550 rwhp when done.. i wouldnt imagine it would take me to much to get there (i was thinking 10-14#)..

what turbo kit/setup would you guys recommend? i was thinking of rebuilding the bottom end of the car also since its stock and 177k.

priced out around 2k to completely rebuid the bottom and was thinking of dropping CR to 8.3:1 to be safe.

thanks for any advice.. id like to actually get started on this within the next few weeks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 PM

Fuel should be your first priority. Bigger injectors, fuel pump. I think the general consensus is that, stock lines are safe up to about 450-500. You can see in my sig, that I started getting lean @3200. 255l intank, stock lines, rails, and 42#inj. I now have the glennsperformance.com 950hp system.

I say get a fuel system or build one yourself. You def. want to forge the pistons at least, and add a girdle. What cat-back you running? If you are running a chambered muffler, you are holding up some hp and tq #'s too.

IMO- your top end, including cam, looks good for what you are trying to accompish.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
500-550whp is where things begin to start breaking so I will just list a few things I needed to do

-T-5 trans went south but I have heard of them lasting longer for others
-Block cracked and this is a major concern when hitting the 500 wheel mark, Mexican blocks are stronger however they can require more $ in terms of machining.
-As mentioned before the fuel system will need upgrading- going with a 255 intank and a booster pump (t-rex or similar) should get you by but around that hp point (500-550rwhp) you really need to look into the whole deal with lines, rail and pump, and 42lb injectors which assuming a 80-90% duty cycle are good for a little over 500 at the crank (safely), so maybe 50's or 55's are more toward your liking.
-With the power again forged internals are a must,

These are the major issues I can remember hitting that hp mark but just remember if you go cheap and skimp on things such as fuel your 2,000 dollar shortblock will just end up being a big paper weight

65 Mustang
68 Barracuda 440
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred50stang View Post
Fuel should be your first priority. Bigger injectors, fuel pump. I think the general consensus is that, stock lines are safe up to about 450-500. You can see in my sig, that I started getting lean @3200. 255l intank, stock lines, rails, and 42#inj. I now have the glennsperformance.com 950hp system.

I say get a fuel system or build one yourself. You def. want to forge the pistons at least, and add a girdle. What cat-back you running? If you are running a chambered muffler, you are holding up some hp and tq #'s too.

IMO- your top end, including cam, looks good for what you are trying to accompish.

no cats on car.. just bbk equal shorties + bassani x + 2 chamber flows that dumb behind rear axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement