Looking at twin turbo 2001 Gt at car lot - SES light on... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Looking at twin turbo 2001 Gt at car lot - SES light on...

I've never owned a turbo car. I'm looking at a 2001 GT with 49K miles at a car lot. It's got twin turbos w intercooler and engine is stock. I know it has upgraded fuel injectors (42lb?). I believe it does not have cats. The SES (service engine soon) light is lit at all times... I've been told it puts down 330 hp and 390 trq and seen the dyno sheet... it's tuned very rich and was done at a local tuner (tuned rich for safety/longevity?)

My question is: is the ever present SES light reason for concern. Should I run away from this as quick as possible Would you buy this car for approx $17K??? Would I be crazy to finance this over 5 years? I only drive 5K miles per year... I don't know there is any possibility to get a detailed list of mods...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
i would not be concerned about the light, most power-adder cars have to have the back 02's turned off, and the light being on may be because it is so rich. turbo cars run better really rich and it also deters detonation. If the turbo kit looks good and is namebrand stuff then i would say yes buy it. as long as thats not the only car you will have.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2007, 12:50 AM

See if you can get under the car and look at the rear o2 sensors. They are probably not even connected. They wont be running if this is an HP Performance twin turbo setup like mine. You cant run Cats with the HP Perf twins
Not a big deal with a CEL
Buying.... take it somewhere and have it looked at to make sure th turbos arent almost dead. That HP seems a little low for twins. If its really rich then those fools at the dealership may have played with the tune.
Idiots where I bought mine were driving one ported and pullied on the stock tune back and forth to home at night. didnt bother to get the predator when it was brought in

04 Cobra 57mm Twins
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

672hp/673tq on 17#
Tuned by Bob Kurgan
kurganmotorsports.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I would be worried about the light. It comes on for a reason. Do you what turbo kit is on the car. Like the other guy said the turbos could be bad. How do you know it is tuned rich. Do you know what fuel pump it's running. The hp does look really low. What transmission does it have.

2002 2V TF heads Custom Edelbrock NA SVT Cams
Twin 6466 TH400 Dominator EFI TH400 UCC
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I wouldn't be getting that. You could probably buy a stock gt in good condition (no ses light, etc) Then buy a turbo kit, for around the same price if not cheaper.

Then you would know whats done to it, and have your own tune. I agree that 320 sounds low, unless its at 6lbs.

1994 Turbo GT
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
More details on the kit. Who made the kit, what kind of turbos?
That check engine could be on for alot of reasons. But it does suggest, things are not so neatly done.
Does the car have any engine work done to it? With the stock hypereutectic pistons in the mod motors combined with the metal headgaskets they run, you can run into some trouble if you detonate.
Figure a turbo kit is going to run about 6K when it is all said and done. For that you get a really nice one.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2007, 03:37 PM

For that price, I would say hell no. You could put up another 4k, and get a 40-50k mile terminator, or buy a mach1 with 25k miles for 17k. The mach1 with a 100shot will kill that tt 2v too. Look around at mach1registry.com and other stang sites, they are pretty low at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement