306 or 331 take a look inside - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
306 or 331 take a look inside

ok so its time to get a short block going my current stock shortblock has 180k miles and is getting older by the day.

heres what the top end will be on whatever i decide to go with

edelbrock performer heads 1.9 valves
crower 15511 camshaft with 1.6 rockers
performer rpm2 intake
hellion 62mm base kit

as far as a bottom end goes im going to have to stick with a stock block , i know it will be somewhat of a time bomb so i will limit myself to boost levels and what not .

will never see over 6000rpms .

so now to the fun stuff

would you do a 306 with good rods and pistons , good machine work and all balanced with 9-11psi.

or go with a 331 set up and be able to make the same power on lower boost ?

or scrath both of those freshen a stock shortblock and wait untill i can get a dart bassed set up ?

1990 Notchback stock bottom end , TW's , F cam , Systemax and 66mm in the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
freshen up the shortblock and save the money for either a dart or Boss block

post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

so just freshed up a stock forged piston short block with good rings , bearing , and balanced sounds like a plan to me

1990 Notchback stock bottom end , TW's , F cam , Systemax and 66mm in the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I just did a dart 306 engine, I cant be happier I save the money and did it right.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian15 View Post
so just freshed up a stock forged piston short block with good rings , bearing , and balanced sounds like a plan to me
Or find a low mileaged stocker to slap in there. I'd pull one out of a wrecked late 90s/early 00s Explorer/Mountaineer.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I agree with everyone else.....If you know for sure that in the next couple years that you'll have $5K to spend on a nice shortblock, then just find a stock low mileage shortblock with forged pistons for the time being.....Should be able to be bought for a couple Ben Franklins.....But if your like me, I know that I won't be able to afford a $5K shortblock in the near future cause I'm going back to school to finish my degree and have a house and family, etc.....So I just kept my stock block and bought a 347 kit with cast crank, I-beam rods, and dished Probe pistons and a DSS main support to go along with my turbo kit.....I'll have to make myself happy with that for years or until I graduate college......
post #7 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
Or find a low mileaged stocker to slap in there. I'd pull one out of a wrecked late 90s/early 00s Explorer/Mountaineer.
well i actucally have a explorer shortblock with 70k on it sitting in the garrage , just dont know how the hyper pistons would work ?

post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Hypers work out fine just so long as your tune is not bad. Hypers get a bad name because they are not forgiving to detonation like forged pistons are. If you have the shortblock already, I'd swap it out unless there is just some sort of technical reason I am unaware of that prevents them from working in there. Should only take a weekend to do the swap.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (62)
I have to go with everyone else. I just sold my 331 and went back to a stock 302 until I am done builting my iron eagle block. I would look at it this way, a stock 302 everything it with will give out about the same power level. You could put a lot of money in parts in it and make more power on less boost but the block is still weak.

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement