38mm wastegate enough? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (30)
38mm wastegate enough?

I haven't started my car yet, so I want everything to be good before I need to start tearing #### out. So with that said, I'm running a 306, TFS heads, TFS Track Heat manifold, stock cam, 1.7rockers, B&G Turbo Headers, Precision PT-67 P-trim .68 a/r. I'm shooting for 475-500rwhp anywhere from 10-15psi, whatever it takes. Will my Tial 38mm wastegate be enough to fight off boost creep? Or should I get ahold of at least a 44mm unit?

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
It should be enough but can greatly depend on the design of the system. For example a 38mm is enough for a PTK kit but put it on an HP kit with a similar sized turbo and boost setting and experience boost creep.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
I don't think you'll have a problem with it, try it and see.

Is your your WG vented back into the downpipe or to the atmosphere? I've read somewhere that an "undersized" wastegate is more prone to boost creep if vented back into the exhaust, and not so much if its vent to atmosphere.

I haven't got mine running yet, but will be using the same TiAL 38mm wastegate with my turbo kit (B&G hotside,3" custom coldside,MP T-70) I think it'll be enough.

88' Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I run a T-70 with only 7psi with no creep. You just have to put it in a good spot so it can work correctly. Vented into the atmosphere also helps.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

It'll be dumped back into the downpipe. Right now it sits in a bad spot, on the crossover, maybe 9" below the turbo. I'm moving it where the passenger header and tube for the crossover meet just under the flange of the turbo, and dump that back into the wastegate. If it was a track car, I'd run it towards the ground, but it's not, so I wanna keep it kinda quiet.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
My WG dumps back into the exhaust. Brian (B&G) told me that I would get boost creep ( 9 psi regardless of spring ) by it dumping back into the exhaust.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Turbo Wizard

Then it is not designed correctly. Seems pretty simple to me, you can find other kits designed differently with the same sized gate and turbo that does not experience creep. For example, PTK kit dumps back into the exhaust and I have seen them with T7x turbos and 35mm wastegates and have no creeping issue.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm def going to change the position of the wastegate, I really don't like the spot it's in right now. I'm using a TownCar/CrownVic P/S & alt setup, so everything is on the driver side to help even the weight out. So with everything outta the way on the passenger side, I'm able to mount the wastegate at the merge of the one header and the crossover just under the turbo flange. I guess I'm gonna throw on a 44mm unit since I'm changing the position anyway. I don't wanna have to dig everything back out once it's in. I just wanna drive the car now. It's already been park for over a year

post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Yeah, HP changed their wastegates to 44's after they started having problems with the 38's and boost creep. The kit I have was one of the first few that took advantage of that change. Although I also dumped mine back into the exhaust.

1992 FHP SSP Coupe
1988 AL SSP Coupe
2003 Redfire Cobra--SOLD
1995 Mustang GT Vert-331/60-1 turbo SOLD
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Yeah, HP changed their wastegates to 44's after they started having problems with the 38's and boost creep. The kit I have was one of the first few that took advantage of that change. Although I also dumped mine back into the exhaust.
Yeah but they blamed(on forums at least) the boost creep on faulty wastegates and said that is why they were doing the change which is a load of BS, the thing is just placed incorrectly.

--Admiral Aaron

post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
My HP kit has the 38mm wg. I have noticed some boost creap when I was starting out with the kit. Now I have the boost set at 15#s and it does not move.
An interesting side note to this I will be stepping up this summer to a 351 and a t76gts turbo. My kit will only work with a 302 so I had to buy the 351 specific passenger side manifold and crossover tube. I was planning on just running two 38mm WGs because they are much cheaper than the big WGs. When I ordered my 351 specific pipes I mentioned that I wanted them to add a extra WG mount they said that I would be fine with the one 38mm WG. There reasoning was the higher boost levels I planned on running, 15 to 20#s. It will be interesting to see if they are right. If not I will have to weld on that nice shinny ceramic coated crossover pipe.

1979 Mustang coupe, EFI 393, A/A intercooled Eaton m122, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swapped in.

1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars, tunnel ram with two Predator carbs, solid roller cam, 9", 390/45r15 drag radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement