mod or pushrod? help! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
mod or pushrod? help!

well im wanting to build a new combo but i cant make up my mind which way i want to go. i have a 97 cobra engine with good internals (manley h beam rod and 03cobra pistons)that i could use with my precision 88mm turbo or do i want to sale that and do a 351 base r block engine? if i keep the 4 valve i would want to have the heads and intake ported so for what that would cost i could buy a good set of heads for a windsor. i will need to buy the cams for my 4 valve also so there is another big chunk of money. the car is not a race car. its a 93 gt weekend cruiser/show car/street racer but im looking for around 1000rwhp through a 5 speed the cheapest way possible. just need a little advice from some people who have been there before and know what to expect out of each of these combos (power difference between the two) . by the way the windsor i would build would be somehwere in the neighborhood of 400 cubes with afr 225 (and a really good bottom end of course ) if that helps. like i said not trying to set any records just want another really fast street car. any imput you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
I personally would stick with the 4v but might just be because been wanting to do a mod turbo car for awhile now.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Mod 4V. Sounds like you have that motor in good shape for a turbo-also lighter and much more interesting. Can you just use the stock cams on that?
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
its a 93 gt weekend cruiser/show car/street racer but im looking for around 1000rwhp through a 5 speed the cheapest way possible.

FAST
CHEAP
RELIABLE

pick two...

Clevor finished!! Now on to everything else...
post #5 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 10:24 AM
DNA

Trader Feedback: (0)
Big question

If you don't have all the Mod Motor parts you need now (Sensors, brackets, accy, timing covers, cam covers, etc.....) I would sell your Mod stuff and go Windsor. I have done both types of motors(Windsor/Blower combo and Mod/ Blower and Turbo Combo) and I have found that the Windsor is a bit easier and makes mad power.

The Mod motor is also good at making power but tends to be a pain in the arse when gathering missing parts. ( Doing it riught now with a 2Valve Turbo GT).

Either way you choose do it with the best parts you can afford up front and you will be happy.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
I say stay modular... first because its a fox-body at it will be way cool to pop the hood and see a 4-valve
The 4-valve will make plenty of power, so i wouldnt worry about that. I know of 3 cobras around here that put down over 800rw on a single 76mm at only 20psi.
They were 03 cobras, and the only thing they changed in the block was the rodbolts, changing them to ARP2000's, and headstuds, also ARP. They were breathing through stock, unported heads and stock 03 Cobra cams.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate View Post
FAST
CHEAP
RELIABLE

pick two...
yeah i meant as cheap as possible. im not gonna cheap out on this either way i go im gonna do it right. i just didnt know if i could do the windsor cheaper or the mod motor
post #8 of 13 Old 02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
DNA

Trader Feedback: (0)
Cost estimates

If you are familiar with it use excell spreadsheets. Lay out all the known costs for each engine, item by item. Then toatal them up and add a 45% of the total as misc to each and see where your costs come out. Contact people like Newtrod etc..
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks to everybody for responding!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 PM

I don't know this from personal experiance but from the reading I have done it seems like the modular blocks are very strong in stock form, much more so than a production push rod block.

You already have the mod motor with good guts I would go that way. Plus like it was said before 4 valve mod motor in a fox is a really cool idea.

1979 Mustang coupe, EFI 393, A/A intercooled Eaton m122, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swapped in.

1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars, tunnel ram with two Predator carbs, solid roller cam, 9", 390/45r15 drag radials.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJunky View Post
I don't know this from personal experiance but from the reading I have done it seems like the modular blocks are very strong in stock form, much more so than a production push rod block.

You already have the mod motor with good guts I would go that way. Plus like it was said before 4 valve mod motor in a fox is a really cool idea.
thanks dude thats probally what im gonna do
post #12 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
U.S. Air Force RETIRED

Trader Feedback: (88)
modular for this reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTPbj19SLs

1990 Mustang GT
2004 Mystichrome Cobra
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins
post #13 of 13 Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I know of 3 cobras around here that put down over 800rw on a single 76mm at only 20psi.
They were 03 cobras, and the only thing they changed in the block was the rodbolts, changing them to ARP2000's, and headstuds, also ARP. They were breathing through stock, unported heads and stock 03 Cobra cams.
thats quite impressive, got any more details on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement