suggestions on setup plan - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
suggestions on setup plan

I have just recently become facinated with getting a turbo for my 93 GT. I know that I eventually want to get about 450hp with a single turbo and I plan to get the engine rebuilt with twisted wedge heads and keeping the stock cam. I also would like to get a new tranny and clutch but the car has about 125,000 miles now and I figure that it is going to need some freshening up before too long although the engine runs finr right now. The question I have for all of you is what order should I rebuild the engine, install heads, install turbo, and replace the tranny? Obviously this is all very expensive and since a am still in school for about another year, I am on a limited budget for the time being? I just want to see what you guys would do for the setup that I want? thanks a lot for the suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM

if the car isn't a daily driver i'd start with the turbo build, then the tranny, and end with the heads...

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
post #3 of 7 Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM

save money and do a junkyard turbo set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

well right now the car is a daily driver but hopefully when I get out of school i can get a 2nd car but i wont be able to afford the turbo before then anyways. I don't want to do a j/y turbo setup because I don't know wenough about turbos to get the right parts and plus I want to get a nice kit froma pro. thanks guys for your suggestions. I would like to hear more
post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Best way to learn is to build a junkyard setup.
I would do the turbo first and while you are sorting it out, you may wreck your engine anyway so may as well do the experiment on the old one before rebuild.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM

I was in the same spot as you and I ask the same ? so I went with turbo first T66 turbonetics13# boost,30#injectors,diablo chip ARP head bolts and multilayer head gaskets,and I pull 450hp/500torque plenny for vettes and LS1 on spray and 03 cobras
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (26)
You've got a '93, so the hypereutectic pistons will probably let go first. Do a turbo build, and in your spare time find a cheap but good shape 87-92 short block (they came with FORGED pistons) and get all the rebuild parts. Do a nice simple rebuild, get some arp rod bolts, hone the block, clean it up nice, get the short block ready because you'll need it sooner than later. Dont powershift, and your t5 will last longer than your axles and block. I beat on my WC t5 all the time with my single turbo and its still alive, sitting at the shop. Subframe connectors, 255lph high flow intank pump, adjustable regulator, Turbo setup, new bottom end, aftermarket heads/intake if you can afford em, clutch + steel input shaft bearing retainer for T5, 31 spline carrier and axles.
SS

'86 GT T-Top - 5.0/T5 - in pieces.
'90 LX Vert - stock
'83 Cutlass Cruiser LS/LR4 swapped, TH350, 8.8 rear swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement