Turbo Newbie-Which kit to get? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-28-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Turbo Newbie-Which kit to get?

I am new to the turbo world and am looking to get a kit that can give me 350-400hp on stock motor. I know that there are a bunch of kits out there and I want to here everyones opinions about which kit is best and why. fittment? reliabilty? power? would I need any other mods done in order to run any of these kits? oh and one more dumb question for ya. what is a flange and what do the different sizes mean? t3, t4, etc.?
thanks for the help

Last edited by RosstaGT50; 01-28-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM

i've been patient for all these newbs and always answered the question, but this exact one has been asked about 1 too many times now. do a search, find a couple that YOU like and then ask about them specifically.

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
post #3 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scones View Post
i've been patient for all these newbs and always answered the question, but this exact one has been asked about 1 too many times now. do a search, find a couple that YOU like and then ask about them specifically.
lol, what do you think this is turbomustangs! he's been on this board longer then you.

i went with a hellion because the price i got was unbeatable. my kit is installed on a fairmont and i had to do a few mods to lower the intercooler, but it fits perfect.

your results will probably be lower, but here is an article for you to read

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co..._051100_turbo/

and yes, you can learn alot with the search function too.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
lol, what do you think this is turbomustangs! he's been on this board longer then you.

i went with a hellion because the price i got was unbeatable. my kit is installed on a fairmont and i had to do a few mods to lower the intercooler, but it fits perfect.

your results will probably be lower, but here is an article for you to read

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co..._051100_turbo/

and yes, you can learn alot with the search function too.
actually i've been on here longer than even YOU. i didn't have internet access for a year and when i came back i couldn't remember any of my passwords lol

if you really want my opinion though i'd go with a set up from Jeff at www.ponydown.net or Brian at B&G turbos...both great guys to work with and you can't beat the price and turnaround time of either...

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
post #5 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scones View Post
actually i've been on here longer than even YOU. i didn't have internet access for a year and when i came back i couldn't remember any of my passwords lol

if you really want my opinion though i'd go with a set up from Jeff at www.ponydown.net or Brian at B&G turbos...both great guys to work with and you can't beat the price and turnaround time of either...
I'm sure they can do pretty good on the price, but it's very difficult to beat Hellion on delivery time, as they keep their kits complete and in stock.

Steve Sisler
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol | 2008 Buell 1125R | 2006 Suzuki SV650S | 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI | 1998 Mustang Cobra, Chrome Yellow track toy
post #6 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
For that power goal why bother with a turbo kit? You can meet that goal and then some with an SC and save a good bit of money and possible headaches. Since you seem to know little about turbo kits and rather people just do research for you, I think you need to get the most complete kit possible. I'd go with a Hellion kit because of that.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Go with anything except Pro Turbo Systems unless you want to wait for a year and get the run around on all your parts.

Check turbomustangs out and do some research through the Kit feedback forum.

92 LX Coupe
94 Cobra- Sold
post #8 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I agree with snipe656. If all you are wanting is 350-400 range (especially if you just want 400hp at the flywheel) I would go with a sc, as it is easier. Just the nature of the beast. But if you have to go turbo I would go with a B&G or Ponydown kit as well. These kits tend to have 6 week or more waits but if this is not an issue then I personally would go with one of the two. Plus both owners are helpful and good people.

65 Mustang
68 Barracuda 440
post #9 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Turbo Wizard

400 at the tires is a cake walk with an S-trim. Hell my old Saleen made 450rwhp with nothing fancy at all, still even had the stock cam in it and had functional cats with shorty headers.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I say Hellion for the fast delivery. But the others(B&G, Ponydown) are great too. Those guys are very reliable and helpful.

1992 FHP SSP Coupe
1988 AL SSP Coupe
2003 Redfire Cobra--SOLD
1995 Mustang GT Vert-331/60-1 turbo SOLD
post #11 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
B&G and ponydown are all great kits but like snipe says go with hellion. this kit has fuel components, fuel pump, injectors, mass air, ect.ect... ponydown and B&G are cheaper but they come with nothing but hotside,coldside,intercooler,turbo, wastegate and BOV. trust me buy a COMPLETE KIT you will thank me later.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)
it also comes with piping all the way to your catback.

had i not got my new kit for half off, i would have gotten quicktime, b&g and maybe ponydown. qt was my 1st choice.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
post #13 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
www.turbochargedinnovation.com

95 Rio Red5.0- Twin Turbo sold
90 notch- 400w 14.1-glide' gutted traded
2000 gt SOHC pump gas 11.50s on NUTS
2001 terminator clone,4v teksid,tr3650,irs,turbo
post #14 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdmeback View Post
B&G and ponydown are all great kits but like snipe says go with hellion. this kit has fuel components, fuel pump, injectors, mass air, ect.ect... ponydown and B&G are cheaper but they come with nothing but hotside,coldside,intercooler,turbo, wastegate and BOV. trust me buy a COMPLETE KIT you will thank me later.
I have a B&G custom Drag radial kit so I'm a bit bias but based on just the cost issue........for the price of getting a "complete kit" from Hellion I would check the classifieds and get all the supporting hardware much cheaper than what Hellion sells it for.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 PM

Hellion for stainless, warranty, accessory retention and delivery times.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Give Newt-rod a call over at Quicktime turbo`s , I`v got one of his kits on my car now . The install was a breeze , Everything lined up and went on perfect . The kit is a very well made kit and the best bang for your money . And his customer service is top notch . Give him a shout .

91LX Vert 306 Winsor Sr. heads ,42lb inj , 70mm Accufab TB Typhoon intake ,TFS Stage 1 cam
70mm Turbo kit

Last edited by lethl-lx; 01-29-2007 at 11:57 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by papis408 View Post
I have a B&G custom Drag radial kit so I'm a bit bias but based on just the cost issue........for the price of getting a "complete kit" from Hellion I would check the classifieds and get all the supporting hardware much cheaper than what Hellion sells it for.
Yes but put yourself in the shoes of the original poster. You are completely different in what you are willing to do and what you are doing. Things like Hellion are a great option for that type of person. They order on Monday and get it all by maybe Friday and they are driving down the road turbocharged by the end of that weekend. That is not going to happen playing pick your part in the classifieds.

--Admiral Aaron

post #18 of 18 Old 01-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Nor is there any guarantee on the parts you buy out of the classifieds.

Used parts are always a crapshoot at best unless you know the person and the history of the piece well, which is usually impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement