What kind of power could we see out of a 408? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What kind of power could we see out of a 408?

If you're going to run a turbo you're limited by the stock block. If you're going to build an aftermarket block why not go 408 or so?
What kind of power could we make for a pump fuel street combo keeping rpm's below 6k rpm's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM

Why would you want to keep the RPM's below 6K? Run a 427, a big single turbo, and spin it to 7K and you can make more power on pump gas than you'll ever hook up on the street. Turning less RPM's will just limit the size of your powerband.

Black 1991 Notchback
Grabber Blue 2012 GT - HID's, Brembos, Nav
Red Metallic 2011 F350 Lariat CCSB
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000HP View Post
Why would you want to keep the RPM's below 6K? Run a 427, a big single turbo, and spin it to 7K and you can make more power on pump gas than you'll ever hook up on the street. Turning less RPM's will just limit the size of your powerband.
I guess to keep it more responsive for daily driving. I think a engine that makes peak power around 6k would have great off idle tq and response. High rpm engines are great for the strip but a bit of a compromise to me for the street...IMO

Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 AM

I guess potential power depends on turbo and supporting mods. But it really shouldnt take much to put out around 650-700rwhp on pump gas WITH the right turbo and supporting mods.

life is short, drive fast!!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (26)
mm&ff [email protected] = [email protected] rpm and 714ft lbs of [email protected] rpm.

A guy came over and started talking to me about the car. He asked what it ran so I told him 8.80's. He said, "No, I meant in the 1/4 mile."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVI357
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstang View Post
mm&ff [email protected] = [email protected] rpm and 714ft lbs of [email protected] rpm.
OK I'm sold.

Link to article to drool over?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORCITYMADMAN View Post
I guess to keep it more responsive for daily driving. I think a engine that makes peak power around 6k would have great off idle tq and response. High rpm engines are great for the strip but a bit of a compromise to me for the street...IMO

Thanks for the response.
A motor that peaks power at 6000 is going to be faster shifting it higher than your peak power. You would probably shift a motor like that at 6700-7000. If you're talking about a 408/427 there is no such thing as having it not responsive enough. Even a low compression 427 will make 425+ ft-lbs of torque before the turbos spool, believe me when I say low end responsiveness isn't going to be your problem. 7000-7500 RPM's isn't that high. Z06's with a 427 turn that from the factory and make gobs of power.

Keep in mind that old MM&FF was done on a STD corrected engine dyno with zero accesories hooked up. That would probably be around 560-580 RWHP SAE corrected in a car. I would not run a single T4 framed turbo on a 400+ inch motor. With a pair of 67mm turbos you could have full boost around 4000-4500 RPM's, make tons of off idle torque with the big cubes, and make 900+ to the ground on pump gas.

Black 1991 Notchback
Grabber Blue 2012 GT - HID's, Brembos, Nav
Red Metallic 2011 F350 Lariat CCSB
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
madman, afr web site under sbf magazine articles.

1000hp, go tell mm&ff they suck and you can do it better.

A guy came over and started talking to me about the car. He asked what it ran so I told him 8.80's. He said, "No, I meant in the 1/4 mile."

NOVI357
Sponsored Links
Advertisement