PART 2 - Progress of my JYTT Stock Longblock Project - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
PART 2 - Progress of my JYTT Stock Longblock Project

Time to start part 2 of my JYTT stock longblock project. Here's part 1, in case anyone missed it, or if anyone cares.

Cliff notes- I have an 88 GT vert. I got a low mileage stock longblock and put all new gaskets in it, shaved the engine bay, and am going Megasquirt to control it all. I have 2 T3's from Thunderbird TC's, both freshly rebuilt, (Had to buy a new CHRA for one since my last post) I drove it once and manged to absolutely MANGLE both head gaskets because I got into it a lil too much.

I built an addition on my house this summer and fall/winter- myself- nights n weekends so I haven't had a chance to work on my Stang since.
Things are winding down with the addition and frankly I miss working on it so it's time to start again.

My plan is to update the Megasquirt N Spark firmware update and rewire the stock TFI to be managed by Megasquirt so I can control spark tables too. While I'm at it I'm modifying my stock 88 GT seat rails to accept 91 CRX seats. I know, it sounds dumb, but check out the pics. They're going to look good in the car. These seats were designed by Recaro for Honda. They're the closest thing you're going to get to a racing-type street seat without going directly to recaro (or sparco, etc) Don't prejudge- check em out.
Not to mention the local u pull it had them for $20 a bucket with tracks. haha

Thoughts? Of course, there are no tracks on them at the moment- they'll sit higher when I get the tracks welded on.

More updates to come if anyone cares.

'88 Stang GT Vert
'92 Honda Civic Si Hatch, daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
nice build just finish reading the whole thing im starting my own projects anytime know like how you position the turbos simple and clean looking turbo setup keep up the good work and dont give up.

post #3 of 18 Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks man. I'm GOING To drive this thing.. I'm determined.

'88 Stang GT Vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-12-2007, 03:09 AM

glad to hear you aren't giving up after all that work....keep us posted

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
post #5 of 18 Old 01-15-2007, 04:59 PM

nice, those seats out of a prelude? I've since given up on the turbo thing and sold all my crap, put an a-trim on it, blew a h/g and thats where i'm at now. Glad to see you still have the spirit, good luck with finishing up this thing and post some more pics of the motor.

91 lx hatch. Performer heads, Performer 2 intake, 1.7rrs, tfs 1 cam, pullied a-trim with power pipe, long tubes, orx pipe, and a magnaflow catback, [email protected] on 17" Nittos.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumRed91LX View Post
nice, those seats out of a prelude? I've since given up on the turbo thing and sold all my crap, put an a-trim on it, blew a h/g and thats where i'm at now. Glad to see you still have the spirit, good luck with finishing up this thing and post some more pics of the motor.
No, seats are out of a 91 CRX not a 'lude. Thanks!
Yeah, I Almost did that same thing. I started taking out the oil feed and return lines then I just decided to keep going with it. I spent way too much time and effort to give up now. If I can't get it reasonably running by next summer then I may re-think the whole thing but until then I will keep going.

Thanks Scones. Good to see you're still watchin'. haha

'88 Stang GT Vert
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Still watching too. Do you think you have the bugs worked out that caused the hg failure? Sounds like you are pretty close.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Hey, good to hear from you Erich. Yes I think I have it figured out. It was a glaring oversight I know, but at least I learned. . I did not update the megasquirt to control spark tables too. My spark was still being handled by the stock ecm which is no good.. So I need to rewire the TFI and then update the firmware for the MS to handle the spark too. We'll see. I haven't worked on it since messing with the seats and getting the turbos back together and on the car. (After blowing the head gaskets I drove it for a while only to learn one of my chra's on my passenger side turbo was blowing all kinds of oil- Turns out it was bad- had to get another new CHRA)
So I'm confident I have 2 good turbos and a healthy block so we'll see.
I'll work on it some more tomorrow night.

'88 Stang GT Vert
post #9 of 18 Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Isn't it so much fun putting all the turbo stuff on and off to fix head gaskets? I empathize. I didn't really blow mine but had compression going into the coolant. Switched to mls gaskets plus studs and they were not sealing. Now back to graphite head gaskets and so far so good.....But have not done a total flat out run thru all the gears.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
nice now there will be a shortage of those in the jy lol

btw they do look good

post #11 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

update.

So i bought a MSD 6a for ignition and got the car running again on only fuel, just to ensure that it does infact run.
I tore back into the harness that I so carefully bundled and routed only to add more wires and reroute some wires already in place. Crap. I hate re-work.
Anyway, I got the MSD mounted on a custom mount the guy gave me when he sold me the MSD, and got that wired in. Of course, I read the wiring diagram for the V. 3 board not the V.2.2 so I wired the MSD signal wire to a pin that doesn't do anything. So now I get to dig into my harness again and reconnect it to the IAC motor wire and try again. haha
Maybe Sunday I'll get out there to do that. At least to get it running again. after that, it's pretty close. Mechanically it should be good to go, tuning is where the holdup is going to be.

'88 Stang GT Vert
post #12 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM

I'm jealous, I wish I was that close. MSDs can be a majo PITA, but they work and you'll be glad you have it. Are you having any trouble learning the megasquirt software?

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Guys I hate to post this..

but here goes.

Sadly, I've had something come up in my life.. Personal.. Nothing dramatically life-changing but I've had to make some hard decisions in my life- One of them is to part with the turbo stuff I've collected over the past 2 years to liquidate some cash. I hate to do it but I have to. I'm SOOOO Close. It really really sucks, but hey, I don't have to sell the Mustang and I don't have to go into debt. I've worked very hard to remain debt-free in my life (bad unsecured debt that is- I have a mortgage for my house) and intend to stay that way so unfortunately I have to part with the goodies. So, if any of you need to buy an MSD 6a, 2 twin turbos, (i would even sell you guys the piping if anyone cared) , a Megasquirt engine harness, or BOV, some gauges, etc. I am selling. I hate to say it, but like I said- at least I don't have to sell the CAR. I can still enjoy the car and build it better next time right?

'88 Stang GT Vert
post #14 of 18 Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 AM

That sucks for sure. But if you are so close to being done, you may not need to put that much more money into it (except if you break something). Would it really help that much to take all that off? Do you need the mustang as a daily driver? Just throwing out a few thoughts.....
Erich

post #15 of 18 Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
No! I just got finished reading all of your posts (part1&2) and I'm really sorry to hear about having to stop your project. I understand your fustration, getting close and everything almost working, and sorting through all the odd little bugs that pop up. Hope everything works out alright for you.

98 chrome yellow GT
post #16 of 18 Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I know it really sucks. beleive me. It's not the money to get it running- I know I'm actually there- I wouldn't have to buy anything more. something else came up in my life, and I needed to make a very hard decision financially. But it's ok, I'm starting to come around. at least I don't have to sell my mustang altogether. It sucks. Really, it does.

'88 Stang GT Vert
post #17 of 18 Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Ok. Then remove but don't sell the turbo stuff. Wait for a new opportunity to put it back on. Is that a compromise?
Hang in there.
Erich

post #18 of 18 Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
damn I just read parts one and two

Back in Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement