What to expect.....with the turbo Kit. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
What to expect.....with the turbo Kit.

Guys,

First glad to be back, I am excited about this new project, and I am hoping some of you can steer me right.

I am wanting to build a 'fun' weekend car, to make @400whp. I have just bought a 'stock' 1990LX 25th Anniv. 5.0, with the stock AOD tranny. Plans are to put some boost to the stock bottom-end, and then upgrade the suspension for 'light' strip duty.

What I am looking for is somewhere @400whp on the stock internals, to work the car through chassis testing, before putting the power to the car. I have another motor to go in the car later, but for now, I was looking at installing one of the HP kits on the stock block.

What kind of boost can I run on the 1990 5.0 internals, and how safe would the car be @400whp. Is this realistic, with a good tune? I have a ton of experience with boosted cars, but not Mustangs. I raced an Evo for the past 3 years (vids below), so I know how to keep them in the sweet spot, and not to go boost crazy.

Please, if there is anything I should consider upgrading on the heads, intake, etc, please let me know, but I don't want to put too much money into this motor, because I have a 358 (which used to go in circles ) to go in later.

Thanks....STF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would expect alot if HOLY S--t and alot of damn that thing is nasty probably some butt puckering and trying to get the seat cushion out of your ash. lol
But seriously the motor will take alot as long as the tune is good.
Ditch the auto in my opinion get a 5-speed
I have a hellion kit on my stock 89 5.0 and with 12lbs of boost it hit 460+ to the tire.
the kit you have is a really good kit I would get some cometic gaskets or mls ones and some studs and get it tuned just my.02

post #3 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so gaskets, what else would need to be done? I know I need to have the tranny overhauled, but I was hoping to make it last long enough so I could finish the bigger engine.

Also, with regard to tune, what do you guys do for management? What kind of A/F are you guys running on a stock engine? I used to run 10.5:1 on the Evo on pump, and @11.3-5:1 on race gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM

somebody on here is the hellion kit a a fox conv with an aod with a after market converter. at 8psi he has 394hp i think. He has a dyno sheet and such on this board. I think his afr was 11.7-11.8

1994 Turbo GT
post #5 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
check stuff out over at turbomustangs.com there is a lot of good info over there. 400 plus horsepower to the wheels is more than attainable on the stock motor and 12 pounds of boost with a good tune. good luck with your build.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
If you are running stock tires and hit the gas hard at 60 mph, you will go sideways. That 400 hp will be accompanied by about 500 ft-lb of torque at comparitively low rpm.
You can hit 400 rwhp with smallish fast spooling turbos and stock heads intake cam with 10 psi.
Like the others said, typical upgrades would be headstuds and better gaskets. If you go with mls gaskets, make sure that the head/block surfaces have been prepared to the correct smoothness or you may be making more trouble for yourself. Of course going to aftermarket aluminum heads with O-ring seals will get you a ton of power and better sealing.
For fuel-an easy way is get the lightning maf/42# injector combo from diversified and get a chip dyno tune to dial it in.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
If you are running stock tires and hit the gas hard at 60 mph, you will go sideways. That 400 hp will be accompanied by about 500 ft-lb of torque at comparitively low rpm.
You can hit 400 rwhp with smallish fast spooling turbos and stock heads intake cam with 10 psi.
Like the others said, typical upgrades would be headstuds and better gaskets. If you go with mls gaskets, make sure that the head/block surfaces have been prepared to the correct smoothness or you may be making more trouble for yourself. Of course going to aftermarket aluminum heads with O-ring seals will get you a ton of power and better sealing.
For fuel-an easy way is get the lightning maf/42# injector combo from diversified and get a chip dyno tune to dial it in.
Erich
A lightning MAF? Soo instead of a stock one I put that one.. ITs for the boost right? And a stock computer.. Were do I go to get it chipped or so they call it? Im lookin to do the same thing.. mines just a 94 GT
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good info. I am adding the Maximum Motorsports drag kit to the car, but I may tweak the ride height a touch, to keep the sleeper look. This will help with the hook some, but with 400+whp, it will be a challenge with anything less than slicks.

Also, in detail, how should I prep the fuel system for this upgrade. I got the note on the Lightning hardware, but what about fuel pump, ECU, and anything I may not be thinking of.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (25)
on a stock motor... 42lb injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a
255lph fuel pump are a must, and a t-rex inline fuel pump is optional...
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I suggest the lightning maf because it works well and is cheap (70 bucks for an 80 mm MAF). It is not plug and play tho. I think you need to modify the plug. But definately, you cannot drop in 42# injectors and a lightning maf and have the car run. The stock computer needs a chip to know what is going on. To run without a chip you need to get a calibrated maf like a pro M. This is what I did but I will wind up going and getting a chip now anyway. More power, controlled timing, safer etc. So if you are going to have someone dyno the car and burn a chip, the lightning maf is a good way to go.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Smile

Hey guys, Do i have to put a maf in my 88 gt,to run a twin turbo in it?Dose it matter, Because it's a Speed Density car.Any info would help big time..........thanks..............jim

Last edited by stangss; 01-06-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement