t76 ballbearing, what else for 500rwhp - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
t76 ballbearing, what else for 500rwhp

i am looking into getting a t76 turbo kit, just wondering what all i would need to reach 500rwhp on a 302, what heads? cam? intake? can you do it with stock heads and intake? you guys know better than me, please let me know asap

1992 Notch- sold, my pops new project
2001 Cobra- 03 swap with 2.3 whipple on the way
2002 Lightning- stage 5 steggy, k and n intake, lfp valvebody 16lbs of boost and a silly whine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The general consensus is a 76mm is a bit overkill on a 302, but it will definitely work, but may be a little laggy if the exhaust housing is large. Lots of people make near or at 500 rwhp with 76s (smaller, even) and stock long blocks. With a 76, ANY aluminum head and aftermarket intake is going to make that power a reality on moderate boost levels. A stock cam with 1.7s would do just fine.

Reef Blue Hatch HCI 302, TKO, 3.31's
DIY MP T70 .68 a/r [email protected] 2.03 60' 7 psi
post #3 of 29 Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
how about stock stuff and 42# injectors,255 lph pump 10lbs boost and then get it dyno tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 12-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Get a MasterPower T70 for 500$....can make way more than your goals for a fraction of the cost.

Also you have some serious homework to do!!

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #5 of 29 Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
+1 on eades, a t70 will more than meet your needs for a helluva lot cheaper

86 coupe, 408,glide 101mm
810rwhp pumpgas tune...........
post #6 of 29 Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Turbo Wizard

I do not care if they can support it or not, I would not get a Master Power turbo. T76 is overkill for that power goal but so long as sized properly it should run just fine. One of the 05 Mustang turbo kits comes standard with a Q-trim Turbonetics T76 and those guys do not seem to be complaining about lag or whatever else.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656 View Post
I do not care if they can support it or not, I would not get a Master Power turbo. T76 is overkill for that power goal but so long as sized properly it should run just fine. One of the 05 Mustang turbo kits comes standard with a Q-trim Turbonetics T76 and those guys do not seem to be complaining about lag or whatever else.
Why no MasterPower...believe in the you get what you pay for? Alotta sucess stories with these turbos...alot, and for the price I dont think one can complain and to top it with a 1yr warrenty (warr work might take a tooth pullin but it still comes standard haha)

I went with one of these cheap turbos (not a ebay superT70 for the record) and I have over 5k on my setup in 3mo boosting as much as 18psi...been great so far. Most turbo cars dont see 5k in 5 years even with the fancy 1000$+ turbos.
If the guy wanted to make say 600+rw I would then spend the money on a nicer turbo with a wheel that can make alotta power, but for this guys goal I still stand behinde my recc of a MP T70 P-Trim. Yeah some of these turbos have failed, as has Garretts, Turbonetics etc, and I have read on tm.com as I'm sure Snipe has that this lil ole 500$ turbo has put cars in the 9s.

Just my take, I was leary about the turbo being so cheap...but it has been a trooper under my hood so far, so thats why I speak highly of it....1st hand experience, not what is said on the internet.

I dont recc tryin to save $$ when going fast by skimping on quality..belive me...but this turbo is VERY good quality for the price. My fabricator (www.rtpaz.com) was unsure of these "Brazilain" turbos, we disassembled the turbo on spot and to his suprise the internals were almost the same as a Garrett piece in all aspects (I dont have enuff experince when disecting turbo internals but I was happy with his response) He even called Steve Cole over to take a gander, and even he was pleasantly suprised with the quality......So impressed that Rusty has now become a MasterPower dealer. Rusty is no novice by anymeans has built some well known kits such as Trent Ks, Jason Ball, and has done piping for Steve Cole, Big Jay, and BlackMagic if I recall correctly.

I hope this helps shed some light on why I recc the MPT70..there are much better turbos out there, but for someone looking for only 500rw...this turbo should be at the top of your list.

Chris

post #8 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Also the worst horror stories I have read about the MP turbos is when Brian from B&G had a few fail on intial start up and then didnt get any support with warr. work
He does not sell MP anymore I think, this situation had a long long thread on tm.com and the warr guys (Mikes Turbos) claimed they would work with him but blamed the failure on other reasons.
I know Brian likely sold 100s of these turbos before this with great results, and I have no explination for the terrible failures he was exp.

Do all your homework before you purchase a turbo, thats the best info yet. You can find a endless amount of info on these turbos on tm.com and it seems to have overall really good feedback.

post #9 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990mustanglx5.0 View Post
i am looking into getting a t76 turbo kit, just wondering what all i would need to reach 500rwhp on a 302, what heads? cam? intake? can you do it with stock heads and intake? you guys know better than me, please let me know asap
If you are just aim'n for 500rwhp, I have a brand new Garret Hybrid 60mm turbo for sale. They are good up to 600rwhp and it would probably make power sooner than the T76 due to your engine size etc.

let me know
post #10 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Sinful what are you asking?

post #11 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Turbo Wizard

Because I feel better can be had for little more money. I have two turbos sitting at home from Limit Engineering that each are good for 500rwhp by themselves and I spent a little over $600 for each at the time. I'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars and deal with better companies. I have dealt with Turbonetics and honestly would not recommend them either, I do not like their policies in regards to rebuilds/repairs. I will not deal with PTE just because of Harry, that is for personal reasons. I'd deal with Innovative but they charge out the freakin ass for their stuff. A lot of the ones Brian has sold never have been ran, I know of several just here in town he sold that never have been ran but all but one of those guys gets online and talks about how great the turbo is. When people do have issues with them and not just through Brian I have seen it not be such an easy task to get them fixed and personally I'd rather not take that risk.

What I am trying to understand though is this person never asked for a turbo recommendation to begin with so why are we even giving them.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eades5.0 View Post
Sinful what are you asking?
According to Tom from HP they sell them for $950

I'm asking $700 without the exhaust housing
post #13 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I say go for a T70, can make 500 easy and if you are going with stock block you will not want much more then that. Also remember that RPM is not your friend on a stock block application. I say go with Master Power. I know some people will say they are junk but any company has failures. If you think about the sure numbers of turbos they have sold I bet they are in line with all the other companys out there. About the warranty thing, I do not know about that. I have heard of people getting warranty and some not. Just make sure you prime it before you start it. Also, for the price, the MP T70 is a good deal. You could always go with Garrett or Turbonetics but you better double or double and a half that amount.

Eric

Black 93GT, Single Precision 7675, 308 Mexican block, F cam, AFR 195's, 75mm TB, 1.7RR, 60's, BA5000 MA, Crane Hi-6, LX-92 Coil, S/N 95 Rails, Kirban FPR, 255 inline/255 intank, aluminum radiator, Countour Fan, Police Oil Cooler, 3.31 gears and a 5 speed.
post #14 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Formerly eades5.0

I was only trying to help by recc. the MPT70, a T76 is all wrong for the combo in my eyes.

Snipe
All very good points, I guess us rec turbos in this thread is useless..hehe
post #15 of 29 Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys, im very new to this stuff i was buying the 76 kit off of here for
2k, and that included a k member, just wanted to know if it was worth it

2002 Lightning- stage 5 steggy, k and n intake, lfp valvebody 16lbs of boost and a silly whine
post #16 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Formerly eades5.0

Now thats a deal
post #17 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 10:18 AM

why would a turbo come with a k member?

Looking for Fox body Fairmont, Zephyr, Cougar, LTD, Marquis or Granada wagon
post #18 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 AM

mike, as with any tube k-member it gives more room for piping, mostly to fit a larger DP in the car.

snipe as eades said you have some very good points but it's plain fact that like any of the major brands master power turbo's are proven to work and work well. i also have about 4k on my MPt70 in a little over 2 months time{ my daily driver** and it has worked flawlessly. the 76 is overkill for his combo and will be nowere near effecient as a 66 or a 70 would be for his combo. either of these 2 units could easily split his block so whats the point of putting something larger on it that is less efficent oon his combo?

86 coupe, 408,glide 101mm
810rwhp pumpgas tune...........
post #19 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Turbo Wizard

Anything more than about a T62-1 is overkill for a stock block but it is beside the point he is buying a kit with a T76 and it can work.

--Admiral Aaron

post #20 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 PM

my bad i missed the part where he said it was a whole kit. thought he was just buying a turbo

$2K for a whole kit with k member with a ballbearing T76 is a pretty darn good price

what kit is this? home made or what? also is this going on the 01 cobra or do you have another car not listed in the sig?

Looking for Fox body Fairmont, Zephyr, Cougar, LTD, Marquis or Granada wagon
post #21 of 29 Old 12-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eades5.0 View Post
Why no MasterPower...believe in the you get what you pay for? Alotta sucess stories with these turbos...alot, and for the price I dont think one can complain and to top it with a 1yr warrenty (warr work might take a tooth pullin but it still comes standard haha)

I went with one of these cheap turbos (not a ebay superT70 for the record) and I have over 5k on my setup in 3mo boosting as much as 18psi...been great so far. Most turbo cars dont see 5k in 5 years even with the fancy 1000$+ turbos.
If the guy wanted to make say 600+rw I would then spend the money on a nicer turbo with a wheel that can make alotta power, but for this guys goal I still stand behinde my recc of a MP T70 P-Trim. Yeah some of these turbos have failed, as has Garretts, Turbonetics etc, and I have read on tm.com as I'm sure Snipe has that this lil ole 500$ turbo has put cars in the 9s.

Just my take, I was leary about the turbo being so cheap...but it has been a trooper under my hood so far, so thats why I speak highly of it....1st hand experience, not what is said on the internet.

I dont recc tryin to save $$ when going fast by skimping on quality..belive me...but this turbo is VERY good quality for the price. My fabricator (www.rtpaz.com) was unsure of these "Brazilain" turbos, we disassembled the turbo on spot and to his suprise the internals were almost the same as a Garrett piece in all aspects (I dont have enuff experince when disecting turbo internals but I was happy with his response) He even called Steve Cole over to take a gander, and even he was pleasantly suprised with the quality......So impressed that Rusty has now become a MasterPower dealer. Rusty is no novice by anymeans has built some well known kits such as Trent Ks, Jason Ball, and has done piping for Steve Cole, Big Jay, and BlackMagic if I recall correctly.

I hope this helps shed some light on why I recc the MPT70..there are much better turbos out there, but for someone looking for only 500rw...this turbo should be at the top of your list.

Chris
Master Power sucks. I don't know why so many recommend their turbos. Like Snipe said most people who bought them haven't used them yet. Sure there are a few success stories, but the bottom line is a lot of their turbo's have failed out of the box and Master Power will most likely tell you tough $h*t. There is a reason why B&G doesn't reccomend them anymore. Why gamble with the most important part of the turbo build, when a similar unit from a reputable manufacturer is only a few bucks more?
post #22 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
----- deleted -------

decided not to get involved.

Last edited by Pope; 12-10-2006 at 04:03 AM.
post #23 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

going on my 90lx i just sold the big block out and was wondering what you guys thought just want 500rwhp

post #24 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanggod View Post
Master Power sucks. I don't know why so many recommend their turbos. Like Snipe said most people who bought them haven't used them yet. Sure there are a few success stories, but the bottom line is a lot of their turbo's have failed out of the box and Master Power will most likely tell you tough $h*t. There is a reason why B&G doesn't reccomend them anymore. Why gamble with the most important part of the turbo build, when a similar unit from a reputable manufacturer is only a few bucks more?
Opins are like aholes, we all got um.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 PM

Stock cam, stock heads, 42# injectors, 255 pump, reg, tune, and pretty much any turbo 62-1 or larger will make the power you want without a problem. As far as turbos are concerned you would be suprised how many garrett's fail out of the box, and pte and turbonetics.. I rebuilt turbos for 3yrs for a company (the largest garrett distributor in the U.S)that rebuilds for several large manufacturers on the side as well as over the counter,and most of it boils down to improper oil supply and recovery, and also oil contamination. ESPECIALLY on ball bearing turbos. Clean oil is an absolute necessity in a turbo vehicle and with more precise race oriented turbos its becomes all the more necessary, I know of a few guys running master power turbos with success. I would steer clear of an xspower or ss autochrome junk however. Turbonetics would be the hardest to get parts for as they use alot of proprietary parts such as bearings and back plates, and most of those are machined off site and are hard to even get direct.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanggod View Post
There is a reason why B&G doesn't reccomend them anymore. Why gamble with the most important part of the turbo build, when a similar unit from a reputable manufacturer is only a few bucks more?
And he is not the only company I have watch drop them and all of them looks to be because of the hassles involved in getting warranty work done to them. just not worth the gamble IMHO

--Admiral Aaron

post #27 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
And he is not the only company I have watch drop them and all of them looks to be because of the hassles involved in getting warranty work done to them. just not worth the gamble IMHO
Being on the side of a company vs. a customer when it comes to turbos is often an impossible task of keeping someone happy. 75% of the time its the customers fault, rather its going beyond the turbo's limits, oil contamination, running non synthetics and no allowing idle time and having heat soak issues with oil coking. Garrett has an entire team dedicated to this, and often times the distributor is stuck with a busted turbo and eats the cost. When the garrett ball bearing gtp38r was introduced (powerstroke bb upgrade) we had a pile of roughly 30 of them, and probably 2 were manufacturer problems and niether really caused failures.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Turbo Wizard

I understand this completely but I have watched trends in how companies have handled warranty work for turbos for the end users over quite a few years now. Turbonetics, ok if in that first year but after kind of sucks, PTE almosts seems hit or miss, MP miss most of the time, Innovative usually a hit, and the only other I bothered to pay attention to was Limit Engineering and pretty much hits there too. I, a end user of the product want to not deal with miss companies because that means more hassle for me. I watched several companies drop MP because of premature failures and warranty hassles, perhaps all their customers did not know what they were doing and actually killed them(I can buy into this easily) BUT all I really care about is how it was handled by the company for a valid breakage.

--Admiral Aaron

post #29 of 29 Old 12-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I understand this completely but I have watched trends in how companies have handled warranty work for turbos for the end users over quite a few years now. Turbonetics, ok if in that first year but after kind of sucks, PTE almosts seems hit or miss, MP miss most of the time, Innovative usually a hit, and the only other I bothered to pay attention to was Limit Engineering and pretty much hits there too. I, a end user of the product want to not deal with miss companies because that means more hassle for me. I watched several companies drop MP because of premature failures and warranty hassles, perhaps all their customers did not know what they were doing and actually killed them(I can buy into this easily) BUT all I really care about is how it was handled by the company for a valid breakage.
pte replaced a friend of mines gt42r 3 times becuase of several different issues then replaced it the last time and sent braided feed and return lines because they determined it was an oiling issue it worked fine. They also rebuilt a t88 for a friend and it failed they rebuilt it the second time free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement