Wanting to turbo new car- twins or single?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Wanting to turbo new car- twins or single??

Picking up another car finally and this one is a bone stock 90 5.0. I want to move away from nitrous and go into forced induction. I have lots of fabrication experience so building my own kit won't be a super big deal (not saying a cake walk, but I can do it). Just curious as to whether I should do a twin turbo setup or a single turbo set up. What size turbo should I run for either?? I want something that as good street manners and will also allow for expansion (heads, cam, intake..as time and money allow). what do you guys suggest, also is the flip headers a viable option? done a lot of searching and would just like to hear a few opinions, especially on turbo selection.

thanks,
russ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
First off, I know this topic has been addressed before, so if you have done a lot of searching, and are interested in opinions it would have been better to list off the information you know (ie. what you do or do not understand about certain discussions, etc....) and then ask specific questions about specific areas of discussion, because frankly, most people that ask general questions have not done the searching/reading they claim to have done, this might not be the case for you, but it is how questions like this are generally viewed.

Second, turbomustangs.com has a ridiculous amount of information on this topic.

A. Single vs. Twin? - This debate rages tirelessly, some people argue it is easier/more efficient to go one way, and other argue the opposite. What it really comes down to is how well you design your kit, and how well you size the turbo(s) to the motor.

B.(1) SINGLES: 60-1, 62-1, 68-1, H-3 trim, v trim, 60 trim, T61, T64, T66, T70, T72, T76, GT35-76mm, GT35-68mm, GT37-76mm, GT37-82mm, GT40-88mm, GT40-82, GT42-94mm, GT42-102mm and various OEM diesel truck turbos are all capable of being used in a single setup on a 302, some have lots of room for growth, others would already be maxed out. The T70 is what I am building my latest turbo kit around, it will offer me more than enough block shattering room for growth; It is also very popular as a reasonably priced, very capable turbo (see TM for more details).

B.(2) TWINS: you'll have to find that info from someone else, the list is even longer than what I listed for singles, although a pair of turbocoupe turbos are said to work great.

C. Flipping headers has been proven to work in numerous occasions (see early commentary on searching)

Last edited by Pope; 11-14-2006 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
flipped headers is definitely an option....take a look at Erich's car. personally i lean towards twins, but that's just me the two are just different with different positives and negatives, you won't find a clear "winner".

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

mainly what i was looking for was pro's and cons- each one is unique i know, but I was curious as to if one proved to work better or not. Also I was inquiring about what sizes would be best given that I want to add parts as time progresses. I was looking into a T-70 but I wasn't sure if it would be too big on a stock motor. I noticed hellion kits use a t-60, so I wasn't sure if the 70 would be too big for stock components. I want good power on the low end and am not sure if that would start pulling till higher in the rpm band due to the size.

I know two small turbos will spool faster than one large one, but in reality what would the actual difference be? Twins take more plumbing in the front, but it seems easier for exhaust purposes to design. I like the flipped shorty idea because it allows you to mount where you need or want to, not where some of these ebay headers make you put it.

So mainly if each of you were to do your own kit, would you do single or twins and why? I am open for either but I want to get it right the first time. I want GOOD power with stock stuff but even better with addition of heads and supporting components.

Pope- do you think a T-70 is optimum for what I want? or will it have a lot of lag and not make power until high rpms?

hope this clears things up a little.

thanks,
russ
post #5 of 12 Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustoleumgt View Post
I know two small turbos will spool faster than one large one, but in reality what would the actual difference be? Twins take more plumbing in the front, but it seems easier for exhaust purposes to design. I like the flipped shorty idea because it allows you to mount where you need or want to, not where some of these ebay headers make you put it.

So mainly if each of you were to do your own kit, would you do single or twins and why? I am open for either but I want to get it right the first time. I want GOOD power with stock stuff but even better with addition of heads and supporting components.

Pope- do you think a T-70 is optimum for what I want? or will it have a lot of lag and not make power until high rpms?
I am by no means the most informed individual on this topic, I will help where I can.

I went with a single on my first kit, and I am going with a single now on my second as well.

single vs. dual: (my reasons)
1. single the exhaust comes together, spins the turbo, and usually exits out of the right side (passenger) of the engine bay where it it is generally open. Whereas with twins one exhaust pipe usually snakes between the engine and the master cylinder, and I did not want to deal with it, and of-course there is the added complications of the compressor side as well.
2. spool time. I have heard no reasonable explanation why two properly sized turbos should spool any faster than one properly sized turbo. rotational mass of one vs. rotational mass of two, combined exhaust flow vs. divided, etc... I am lead to believe that differences in spool time are the result of proper vs. improper sizing and piping design.
3. One oil supply and oil drain vs. two.
4. One turbo to fail vs. two.
5. Cost of one new turbo vs. two new turbos (moot point if using JY turbos)

A Master Power T70 w/ .68 a/r p trim turbine is said to be good for spool from ~2,800 - 5,700 rpm. and .81 a/r and .96 a/r turbine housings open up the option of higher rpm usage or larger displacement engines. I can not speak directly to the accuracy of this information, as my T70 is going on the kit I am building this winter, but it is based on these figures that I went with the MP T70. Also, from my understanding, the MP T70 compressor would generate a compressor map that is more a cross between a T72 and T70 than a true T70, but that is merely rumor that I can not confirm seeing as finding MP compressor maps is impossible. A T70 might be slightly large, but w/ a .68 a/r p trim lag should not be an issue.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope View Post
Also, from my understanding, the MP T70 compressor would generate a compressor map that is more a cross between a T72 and T70 than a true T70, but that is merely rumor that I can not confirm seeing as finding MP compressor maps is impossible. A T70 might be slightly large, but w/ a .68 a/r p trim lag should not be an issue.
I actually misspoke a little. The MP T70 actually has a standard t70 inducer diameter (2.720") and a t66 major diameter (3.584"), so the assumption is that the compressor map is the combination of a T70 and a T66, but an actual compressor map for a MP70 is not available, but they have a history of working well on a SBF.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info- prob gonna do a single for simplicity sake like you said, half the work overall with only one. I just really want to make sure I get the correct turbo. where did you get your MP T70 from and how much was it? I found an XS Power for about 300.00 and these were the specs Turbine A/R .84 Comp A/R .70 Comp wheel 60.5 S/W trim 64.5. that sounds kinda big to me based off what the MP specs were. Also I have no idea if XS power is garbage or not. bare with me here I am learning quickly, just very new to the turbo side of things.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I don't have any experience with XS turbo's so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't take the chance buying one of their turbo's.

Stick to the tried and true - Garrett, Precision, Innovative, Master Power, etc.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'd stick with the only one that has a warranty!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-21-2006, 08:10 PM

I got my MP T70 from DDV005 on TurboMustangs.com $520 shipped, $535 if paying paypal.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Go with a single and don't look back.I've owned two turbo stangs and gotta say the difference betweem single and twin was that the twins spooled to fast and had zero traction.The single however lets you get out of the hole and than hold on.Master power t70 rocks.Also look on turbomustangs.com under the Diy section.Too much info on that site.

T76 Mach1 "Nothing Big"
post #12 of 12 Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (31)
your in FL...??.... Twins = twice the heat!!!!!!!(2 turbos/downpipes)

I went with single so I only have 1/2 as much to go wrong/buy.lol lol

I went with a turbonetics turbo due to 1yr warranty. It was a little more in price but I feel its worth it.

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement