Suspension upgrades - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Suspension upgrades

What upper and lower control arms are you guys running? I need to get the suspension tighetened up and get my turbo stang ready for the quarter mile. Car is a daily driver, Cartech Outlaw kit with a T67, Edelbrock intake, 3.73's, 5 speed.( installing this weekend: MSd-8455, 80mm MAF, 42lbers, T-REX inline pump, and diablo sport chip) Also installed a King Cobra clutch the week of X-mas. Also, I want to put some subframe connectors on the car. Any recommendations????? Thanks for any input you all can give, and It is finally nice to have a turbomustang running.

Mighty 5.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
You want subframe connectors on there for sure. I like global west tubular full length subs. Another decent choice is maximum motorsports.

I started with a stock suspension running 4 cyl springs and bfg drag radials. Not much traction.

Recently I talked to Kevin at Baselinesuspensions.com about setting my car up better. I got his very unique upper control arm kit called ProLaunch 1. It has adjustable heim joint control arms but it relocates the mounting point on the axle to optimaly reposition the instant center when you adjust the rear ride height to his specs. So the second thing you need is height adjustable lower control arms or rear coilovers. He recommended Pro3 weight jacker LCAs from the stangnet site. So the next part of the pecking order includes adjustable front and rear struts/shocks caster camber plates. I will try just the up to the lower control arms first. I know my 60 foots always suck so improvement will be easy to see. I just put in but did not adjust the Prolaunch 1 stuff. Here are a few pictures.
This is what came in the kit. It is sort of hard to picture on the car at first. The round things go in the ears of the pumpkin and replace the rubber bushings in there.

Here is a view of one side.

Here is a view looking down the driveshaft. You cant really see the control arms but they go out and up.

Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 18 Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 PM

+2 for Maximum Motorsports.

96 GT Livernois Stroker, Hellion Turbocharged, 3 link & a few other mods.
67 Fastback Ground up custom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
u r gonna have hard time hooking up with those gears and that clutch will burn out reallll fast
post #5 of 18 Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

I want to see some results with the current combo, before I start changing things, but I also have considered going with 3.27 or 3.31 gears. Hey Erich, how much did all that run ya? I was looking at the UPR's or D&D uppers and lowers.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 AM

The stuff shown cost $250. I just ordered a set of Pro3 weight jacker LCAs with solid bearings the axle side and 3 piece bushings on the chassie for another $250. They look similar to the MM ones.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
post #7 of 18 Old 02-03-2006, 10:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty 5.0
I want to see some results with the current combo, before I start changing things, but I also have considered going with 3.27 or 3.31 gears. Hey Erich, how much did all that run ya? I was looking at the UPR's or D&D uppers and lowers.
ok i'm just trying to save you less work for later when you're replacing a clutch
post #8 of 18 Old 02-03-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input fastwhite86gt, but my t5 is on its last leg, so I'll worry about all that when it finally gives up. The 3.73s are alot of fun and the car pulls really friggin hard. Will the car still pull that hard with 3.27's or 3.31s? I know that the turbo will be properly loaded with the 3.27/3.31s. Anyways, what upper and lower control arms are you running on your car?
post #9 of 18 Old 02-04-2006, 09:39 AM

A turbo car is really a different beast. With reasonably sized turbos it does not need get up to high rpms before it starts pulling. There is so much low end torque. My car for example (which is pretty tame by turbo standards) is making more than 400 ft-lb of rwtq at 2700 rpm. I could not even get it to stop slipping the tires when it was strapped down to the dyno, much less the street. Bottom line is you go with higher numerical gears for torque multiplication. With a turbo setup, you don't need to multiply torque-it is already there. Also as you mentioned, the turbo responds to engine load so the low numerical gears will do that.
On a centrifugal blower or NA car, it is a different story-you are trying to get the car into its powerband as quick as possible.
Erich

post #10 of 18 Old 02-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty 5.0
I appreciate the input fastwhite86gt, but my t5 is on its last leg, so I'll worry about all that when it finally gives up. The 3.73s are alot of fun and the car pulls really friggin hard. Will the car still pull that hard with 3.27's or 3.31s? I know that the turbo will be properly loaded with the 3.27/3.31s. Anyways, what upper and lower control arms are you running on your car?
Sometimes the best way to make a T5 last is not to put a big bad boy clutch and instead something like the King Cobra. Back when I had read upper and lowers, I ran Southside lowers and FMS Police uppers along with stock 5.0 springs with air bags in them, I had some decent luck with that setup on the street and at the track.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
I'm running baseline adj uppers and MM adj lowers with basically stock stuff everywhere else and a tremec. Only hit it a handful of times with the 2-step but have been rewarded with 1.48-1.53 60fts when I did.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88
I'm running baseline adj uppers and MM adj lowers with basically stock stuff everywhere else and a tremec. Only hit it a handful of times with the 2-step but have been rewarded with 1.48-1.53 60fts when I did.
Nice. I don't have the ride height adjusted completely on mine yet but I took it for a spin with the baseline uppers and stock lowers. I could already tell a difference even on the street.
Erich

post #13 of 18 Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

I've never really done a hole shot with the car due to the t5, stock axles and so on. I normally ease into it, and I can still rip the tires loose in 3rd gear at 40 mph. So Erich, I'm looking to get the car into the 10s, do you think I'll be able to achieve that with any other gear other than the 3.73s. Has anyone used the UPR adjustables or D&D's stuff?
post #14 of 18 Old 02-05-2006, 09:29 AM

Normally lower numberical gears will help. What you could do is just test things. Work on your subframes, torque boxes and suspension. Get the car to the track and see how she does. Try and maximize what you have and then make a decision on the gears. The other stuff you definately need. I see alot of pretty hardcore cars running the race version upr stuff. They have a complete kit for the back. If you run solid bushings like on my baseline stuff, you WILL get more road noise in the car. The good upr stuff or any race type control arms will use them. You don't get aught for naught.
Erich

post #15 of 18 Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, Erich, I'm definetly going to take it to the track as is to get like a baseline of where the car is at, and then figure out where I want the car to be. I still need the chip for the car and I'm trying to get the funds to get the h/c/i package from TFS from Summit. I think that will definetly make a difference. Anyways, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your input.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Erich can you give me some input on how much noise the new uppers make. I am interested in those uppers for my car.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-12-2006, 03:58 PM

You hear a sort of tire "rumble". At low speeds you can't really hear it but as speed increases, so does the rumble. No creaks or anything like that. I have a really quiet exhaust on that car so I can hear the difference for sure. The noise doesn't bother me but it is a step up in NVH from OEM. Kevin at baselinesuspensions warns people that solid ends will make more noise. The question that remains is how will it be with lower control arms with one spherical bushing end.
Erich

post #18 of 18 Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I highly reccomend QA1 adj rear shocks. With no other changes these took 2 tenghts off my 60'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement