remote mounted turbo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
remote mounted turbo

i was curious if any one has one of these sts remote turbos. the turbine is monted under the car adjacent to the muffler where the muffler is removed, replaced with a pipe to run the turbo. no intercooler required. IMO i think it a great and obvious idea (are'nt the all) they dont have any available for the 5.0 but i am going to fabricate one. ill buy one for my WS6...sorry.... gut it and get to it. im going with a 66 mm since i belive that some of the pressure may be lost in the distance from the outlet to the intake. ill keep in touch

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
I honestly don't see the advantage. Even twin turbos and an intercooler package easily in the enginebay. I would not want to run all that piping. just my opinion. Good luck with it.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I've heard that they're not as efficient because of all of the piping and that the turbo lag is increased dramatically, because it takes the turbo longer to start spinning.

1995 Bright Sapphire GT

Killed the bugs...running like a raped ape.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxUSAF
I've heard that they're not as efficient because of all of the piping and that the turbo lag is increased dramatically, because it takes the turbo longer to start spinning.
Half right, a turbo spools because of the Velocity of the exhaust and when the exhaust gases goes threw your piping it cools and gets dense so the velocity isn't there. The STS is great for a true sleeper, open the hood and all you see is a pipe that goes to the intake like a cold air kit. They are also easier to install, just bolt in the turbos inplace of the mufflers and run some piping. Those kits put down some okay numbers but i'd just get a real kit for the money.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Unless you want a super sleeper look I don't see the advantage on a mustang. I can see why on an F-body it's a nice idea just because of space issues but really I don't see the benefit compared to a conventional turbo system on a mustang.

I'm just here for the lols
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2006, 08:55 PM

Hope you like the idea of 10 feet of oil line under your car. Also, the turbos will be lower than the oil pan so oil will pool up in the turbos thus entering the cold side being burned by combustion. Maybe you like blue smoke behind you all the time. So you will need an external oil pump and a reservoir - $$. You will need to run at least 10 feet of braided line per turbo - $$. You will have 4 times the amount of tubing -$$ with more places to leak and more tubing to dent, rust and crack - $$. Running a remote turbo/ turbos still creates the same heat to the cold side so you WILL need an intercooler, why wouldn't you? Your price is now a lot more than a single DIY kit. For an F-body just put a bowtie on windshield, some louvers on the back and go pick up some trashy Chevy loving load goats!
post #7 of 18 Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Turbo Wizard

Why run two 10ft feed lines to the turbos, why not one than T it off.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-17-2006, 11:01 AM

I built one on my F150, it worked but I removed it when I got into pinch with tuning and having to move. The spool thing is a farse, I could get boost @2500rpm with a .69 A/R housing, but it will not spool until the exhaust warmed up. The oil return made me uncomfortable at best. STS does it by sensing pressure and turning on the pump, you could push oil through the turbo that way..but I guess it works. I did it by mounting a vented catch can under the turbo and used a weldon pump to push it back to the motor....the pump was annoying, even wrapped in silicone couplers the hummm drove me nuts.

My system had a flaw, in that the exhaust consisted of long tube headers/2.5" Y pipe and a 3" inlet into the turbo. I pretty sure it would have been better with stock manifolds and a 2.25" or 2.5" feed to the turbo..heat and velocity would improve it a lot.

I plan to put the turbo back on, conventional setup though....

[email protected] 1.36 60' N/A 347
post #9 of 18 Old 01-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
Why run two 10ft feed lines to the turbos, why not one than T it off.
5 feet of line TO the turbo/turbos and 5 feet of RETURN = 10 feet, even if it is "T"'d. Still WAY more oil line that I'd want hanging under my car to leak, crimp, kink etc.. Anyway, that's the least of your problems with that cluster****.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-17-2006, 08:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I believe at this point it is generally agreed that yes remotely mounted turbos do work and can make plenty of power.

They also will exhibit somewhat more lag than a conventional turbo setup; however, the boost response curves I have seen from remotely mounted setups are still far superior to what is provided by a centrifugal supercharger.

It is all relative.

Enjoy.

1990 Mustang GT, Explorer shortblock with DSS MSS, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, stock GT cam with 1.72RR, ported Explorer intake and 65mm TB, PTK T66 kit @ 18psi, AEM EMS + WBO2, Alkycontrol methanol injection: All Sold

Last edited by Cld12pk2go; 01-17-2006 at 08:35 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM

STS doesn't have a remote kit, so you would need to get one of there kits, put in a fuel cell, and mount it where your stock gas tank goes I guess.

BUT, I found this.........

http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/turboside.jpg

http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/turbo%20side%2012-7.jpg

http://www.jmsproductsinc.com/turbo%20rear%2012-7.jpg

jmsproductsinc.com

I want to go turbo still, and since even with traditionally mounted turbo's you have compromises too, I kinda like this.

Some of the things I like.........
Lack of general heat in the engine bay, as well as direct to adjacent items.
Less clutter in engine bay
Not relocating things like harnesses, A/C lines, battery, etc.
Not needed a whole new K-memeber
Not having to heat wrap steering components due to heat from downpipe, etc
Keeping headers and x-pipe that already was costly.
Not having to pull headers!

Don't like............

Performance loss comparatively speaking
Higher cost
Sketchy exhaust options
Looks like you need a rear seat delete, not sure though
Having to run a pump on the return oil, but not a big deal

A long feed line is NOT a problem, won't hurt anything. A little -3 line going a few extra feet, nah. Cost, my last 7 footer cost me like $30, big deal.

On a low boost, non-dart/world/A4 set up, intercooling shouldn't be needed. Just having the air charge going the extra distance, through thin walled tubing, out of the engine bay should actually cool it some anyways.

The sleeper aspect is nice, especially in California where we have smog nazi's and CHP pulling you over based on "sound", then they pop your hood and send you to the smog REF.

Performance should be better than a centrifugal blower down low, and better than a twins screw up top, just not as good as a traditionally mounted turbo can do.

I think it's a nice option for some people who want a turbo, but doesn't want to give up certain things.

Last edited by Reilly; 01-18-2006 at 12:52 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SilverStang
5 feet of line TO the turbo/turbos and 5 feet of RETURN = 10 feet, even if it is "T"'d. Still WAY more oil line that I'd want hanging under my car to leak, crimp, kink etc.. Anyway, that's the least of your problems with that cluster****.
I think it would take more than 5ft to reach the turbo

--Admiral Aaron

post #13 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
I think it would take more than 5ft to reach the turbo
You're right, I was being conservative on the length of oil line. Gas tank replacement, rear seat delete for a turbo install? NO THANKS! I haven't seen ANY heat related issues under the hood of the turbo Mustangs I've been around. When my turbo goes in it will be mounted passenger side front corner and 8 inches from the motor. There's nothing even close to the turbo. As far as the driver's side header, not a problem. Solid steering shaft without a rag joint and securing the clutch cable away from the header, easy, cheap. Passenger side, same thing, nothing near it.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You're right, I was being conservative on the length of oil line. Gas tank replacement, rear seat delete for a turbo install? NO THANKS! I haven't seen ANY heat related issues under the hood of the turbo Mustangs I've been around. When my turbo goes in it will be mounted passenger side front corner and 8 inches from the motor. There's nothing even close to the turbo. As far as the driver's side header, not a problem. Solid steering shaft without a rag joint and securing the clutch cable away from the header, easy, cheap. Passenger side, same thing, nothing near it.

Like I said, a nice option for some people. I don't get why some people get so hot and bothered by the prospect of a rear mount though.

I will probably still go with a nice passenger front mounted single myself.

I don't want to do a rear seat delete, for some, they have already done so.

Yeah, there is a lot of underhood temps from a turbo. All of my turbo Honda/Acura's(three of them, 2 with more hp than my Stang) 6-8 inches from the engine, but it still gets pretty dam* hot under there. It gets over 100degs here in the summer, and I like to open track, hopefully it won't be a problem.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 06:50 PM

Are you saying just because the turbo is under the hood it's not a sleeper? I don't open my hood and show off at the gas station. I don't go to car shows. My car is and will be quieter than 99% of Mustangs on the road with stock hood, amber corners, no wing, no stickers etc. What is a sleeper?
post #16 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Are you saying just because the turbo is under the hood it's not a sleeper? I don't open my hood and show off at the gas station. I don't go to car shows. My car is and will be quieter than 99% of Mustangs on the road with stock hood, amber corners, no wing, no stickers etc. What is a sleeper?

No, I said............"The sleeper aspect is nice, especially in California where we have smog nazi's and CHP pulling you over based on "sound", then they pop your hood and send you to the smog REF"

My last Honda hatch was a sleeper. Teal green, barely lowered, no rice, no stickers, black intercooler, Full Race manifold, Precision SC63 turbo, 2 mufflers and a resonator, and when I rolled on 14" stock steelies, you couldn't tell it wasn't stock. Only giveaway was the idle, too deep and rough with 1000cc injectors. But it was well over 550whp and weighed 2100lbs.

That is a sleeper, as yours will be
post #17 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 PM

It would be FAR easier for turbo to have its own oil and pump, sump..Can be activated from fuel pump circuit off relay??

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
post #18 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8240
It would be FAR easier for turbo to have its own oil and pump, sump..Can be activated from fuel pump circuit off relay??
Actually, on the link I posted, they say they use a remote oil system with a pump. The standard style long feed line is an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement