tunning my turbo fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
tunning my turbo fox

i just put on a single turbo set up on the mustang and now i was wondering what is the cheapest and best way to tune my car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Details of your setup (turbo, fuel system, management etc.)????
If you have at least attempted to upgrade your fuel system in a logical way, I would go to a dyno equipped with a wideband O2 sensor and do some pulls to make sure your A/F ratio is safe. Based on the details of your setup and the results of the pulls, then you can figure what to do.
In my neck of the woods an SCT chip is going for $325 plus $100 an hour for dyno tuning with that chip. That still requires that you have a proper fuel system. Once you have the chip, you can go back for tuning at the $100/hr rate when you make changes. That actually makes alot of sense (I too wanted to save money and did not get a chip, I just used the equipment in my signature and had the A/F verified). Sometimes, you can get in a situation where you fuss so much with trying to get stuff to work that buying a chip would have been cheaper in the first place!
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

i do have the fuel system upgraded. i have 42 injectors and a high pressure 255 fuel pump. also i do have the act chip you are talking about. i just need to put it in. is my fuel system good for about 8psi on a stock long block or do i still need to upgrade it? lastly around how long will i have to spend on the dyno to tune it. oh and to i need to buy a fuel pressure regulator or can they make the ajustment through the chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Sounds like you have a good bit of things covered. 42s and a 255 lph pump should be good for more than 8 psi of boost.
Does your chip have some kind of tune on it already?
What are you doing for a MAF? If it is not calibrated for 42# injectors, you will need the chip for it to run decent. If you have a calibrated MAF, the chip and tuning will optimize your setup and make sure that you have enough fuel at wot.
If you have a chip burned for your setup, I think you could get away without the fp regulator. The adjustments would be in the chip.
Not sure how long it would take to do the tuning on a dyno.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM

i have your same fuel settup, along with a bbk fuel pressure guage and a kirban regulator... it is set for 40psi with the vaccum line off... timing is locked at 20* with 93 octane.. plugs are autolite 23's gapped at .35, that is my tune for 12psi
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGS89MUSTANGCHIC
i just put on a single turbo set up on the mustang and now i was wondering what is the cheapest and best way to tune my car
Have mine set up about like stangbro01 A9L computer, no chip, have about 13K miles on this set up. Best thing I ever did was to get an Innovate air/fuel wide band set up, that way I always know my air/fuel ratio is right, it was exactly what the the wide band dyno reading was so i know it is correct, plus the guy I dyno with said it is the only one he would trust. They have come down in price quite a bit, for me it is good peace of mind.

1993 Notchback --- HPT60 Street Turbo Kit---512rwhp/622 [email protected]
Cover/Feature November 2007 MM&FF Magazine
Feature Sept. 2008 Mustang Enthusiast Mag.
Featured April 2005 5.0 Mustang Magazine
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM

turbo tune

just something ive know, is the Excalibrator2 works awesome on my buddies twin turbo cobra, easy to use and change settings, but, thats just some more ideas, good luck!!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2006, 08:43 PM

turbo

just something ive know, is the Excalibrator2 works awesome on my buddies twin turbo cobra, easy to use and change settings, but, thats just some more ideas, good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement