tiny chip taken out of one of the fins. will this cause problems? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-11-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
tiny chip taken out of one of the fins. will this cause problems?

Just a small chip in one of the fins on the compressor side. The person i bought it from says it has no hurting on performance, had it checked out by turbo rebuilder. Said it will only make a slight whistle while spooling. Just trying to clarify thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
It will effect balance, but if a turbo shop checked it it may be okay. How small is small?

post #3 of 19 Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

well, it is about 3mm long, and about 1-2mm deep and is in the middle of one of the fins. How much would osmething like that cost to replace? could i do it myself? does that sound like it is too big of a chip to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM
jdk

Trader Feedback: (0)
When it's spinning 60,000 RPM it will be off balance enough to eventually self destruct...

Depends what type of turbo as to how much it'll cost to fix. You could replace the wheel yourself but you'd have to know how to balance the turbo yourself, which takes practice.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Balancing a turbo wheel is not something that can be done properly at home. You might call turbocity. They balanced my turbos for $35 each. Possibley, you could send them the wheel and have them sand out the chip and rebalance. Not sure if it is possible but they rebuild and balance turbos so they could give you a good call on it.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #6 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 12:27 PM

You could buy a new compressor wheel pretty cheap probably. I would not risk it! If its like most turbos, the wheels are balanced independantly, and so you can simply buy a new wheel and install it. The way to tell if it is balanced like this is to look at the nut holding the compressor wheel on. If it has grind marks, the wheels were balanced as an assembly. It the grind spots are on the wheel itself and not the nut, you can buy another wheel and just bolt it on.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockhatch
You could buy a new compressor wheel pretty cheap probably. I would not risk it! If its like most turbos, the wheels are balanced independantly, and so you can simply buy a new wheel and install it. The way to tell if it is balanced like this is to look at the nut holding the compressor wheel on. If it has grind marks, the wheels were balanced as an assembly. It the grind spots are on the wheel itself and not the nut, you can buy another wheel and just bolt it on.
Well i would do that, but i've been told by several people that i'd need to have the turbo rebalanced. Is that true?
post #8 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 PM

You should have the two wheels and shaft balanced together. They put an alignment mark on them so you can line em back up.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
post #9 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich
You should have the two wheels and shaft balanced together. They put an alignment mark on them so you can line em back up.
Erich
well if you are using the same compressor wheel as before, and mark everything and put it back together as it came apart, could i do that?
post #10 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockhatch
I dont notice any kind of grind marks on the compressor wheel. ALthough, on the exhaust wheel it looks like there is half a bolt on there.

Last edited by fastwhite86gt; 12-13-2005 at 01:06 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM

The best thing you could do is take/send it to a reputable shop. The next best choice is to just buy a new wheel, bolt on and go. Finally, you can ignore the nick, bolt it on and go. Anything besides choice 1 is risking your engine, though I would personally pick choice 2 if it were me.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-13-2005, 06:49 PM

People do mark them and reassemble. Never tried it but it should work. That half bolt is normal.
Erich

post #13 of 19 Old 12-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah, the half bolt on the turbine wheel is normal. I shouldnt say "grind" marks, because it looks more like a machined gouge in the wheel than grind marks. The very top of the compressor wheel may have a gouge mark in it right under where the nut seats on the top of it. This would be a balancing cut. Both T3s I rebuilt for my mustang had them, and the HX40 I am using for my Maverick has the marks on the compressor too.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

i posted pics on turbomustangs.com and say that i should just run they've seen alot worse and run alot worse without problems.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 AM

Let us know what happens. You will be a case study.
Over here we have to judge by description. Over there you post pictures and then report what the comments are (?) You should post the pictures here as well.
Erich

post #16 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 AM

OK, I'll help

It does look like a small chip. It almost seems like someone did file it. Is it possible that it was chipped, filed and then rebalanced? Looks like a second chip even smaller. I was just skimming your other post. How much play is there in there?
Erich

Last edited by Erich; 12-15-2005 at 08:06 AM.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Let us know what happens. You will be a case study.
Over here we have to judge by description. Over there you post pictures and then report what the comments are (?) You should post the pictures here as well.
Erich
heh ... I was thinking the same thing the other day. Personally I would run it.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

It does look like a small chip. It almost seems like someone did file it. Is it possible that it was chipped, filed and then rebalanced? Looks like a second chip even smaller. I was just skimming your other post. How much play is there in there?
Erich
There is a little up and down play, no in and out. Dave at majestic said that it should tighten up once oil gets in there.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-16-2005, 07:33 AM

That should be ok once you are not contacting anything with the fins. From the picture, it looks like its fine.
Erich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement