Modular SCed worthing going turbo? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Modular SCed worthing going turbo?

I have a well built 2v with a vortech S trim, and makes about 550rwhp/490rwtq. I want to step it up more to either a T trim or turbo set up. I am curious though for the added cost does the turbo justify itself. I'll be able to make a lot of power either way, what may or may not make a turbo worth the cash? Also for anyone with a 2v of 4v turbo setup, what kit did you use, do you like it, and would you do something different? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
I am curious though for the added cost does the turbo justify itself.
In my humble opinion, yes.........the torque factor alone is worth the money.......i think if you went to a T76 set up, you would be more then satisfied with the ultimate results........

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominghotwheels
In my humble opinion, yes.........the torque factor alone is worth the money.......i think if you went to a T76 set up, you would be more then satisfied with the ultimate results........

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
I'm new to turbos but to my understanding the bigger the turbo the longer the spool up time. What would something like a T76 respond like for street and strip conditions? The streetablity does it go down much as you increase in size similar as it would going from a S trim to a T or JT trim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM

I really don't think it is as much of a factor, as with supercharger's........It may seem like it take's a second to kick in (turbo), but once you start spoolin, hang on man, cause the ride is just insane........I think a t76 would be a great turbo size to run......

a few years ago, there was a guy at turbomustangs that was running two of em on a street car......it dyno'd out at over 1200hp.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASS96GT
I have a well built 2v with a vortech S trim, and makes about 550rwhp/490rwtq. I want to step it up more to either a T trim or turbo set up. I am curious though for the added cost does the turbo justify itself. I'll be able to make a lot of power either way, what may or may not make a turbo worth the cash? Also for anyone with a 2v of 4v turbo setup, what kit did you use, do you like it, and would you do something different? Thanks.
What do you want to do with the car? That should answer if it is worth the extra money for the extra power.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
What do you want to do with the car? That should answer if it is worth the extra money for the extra power.
I want to make a car capable of a lot of power and is still able to make a long drive without any problems. I've already made 550rwhp and went low 11s (could have went faster, that was on older set up). I would like to have a low 10 or high 9 second street car. Done laughing, ok now I'm serious.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Turbo Wizard

I bet you could reach your goal staying with the SC and saving some money, if that is really a concern since prepping the rest of the car to meet that goal is going to cost a lot anyway.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-08-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
I bet you could reach your goal staying with the SC and saving some money, if that is really a concern since prepping the rest of the car to meet that goal is going to cost a lot anyway.
The car is pretty well prepped for it. I would have to further upgrade the cage, I already need to change the fuel system a little, and other than that its pretty good shape for it. I can have a used JT trim for cheap and thats the route I'm thinking of going, not sure how streetable that will be though.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Turbo Wizard

Try it out if it is cheap, worst case you just end up selling it and going turbo or something else.

--Admiral Aaron

post #10 of 12 Old 12-08-2005, 04:29 PM

I changed my 2000 from a vortech sq to a gt40 turbo kit last year. I'm happy with the switch, but I'm still working out some bugs. I ran 7.19 with the vortech in the 1/8 at 12#'s and 7.15 with the turbo at 9#'s and at about 100 lbs more weight(new cage, etc). The turbo makes full boost at 3000 rpm but power starts falling off earlier than with my vortech. I'm still working on fixing it.
My engine is still stock w/off-road h-pipe and magnaflows.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy4.6
I changed my 2000 from a vortech sq to a gt40 turbo kit last year. I'm happy with the switch, but I'm still working out some bugs. I ran 7.19 with the vortech in the 1/8 at 12#'s and 7.15 with the turbo at 9#'s and at about 100 lbs more weight(new cage, etc). The turbo makes full boost at 3000 rpm but power starts falling off earlier than with my vortech. I'm still working on fixing it.
What gears do you have? If 3.73 a swap to 3.27 will pick it up.

91 GT w/AOD w/red clutches,2800 Street Edge 9.5" lock up converter,Baumann shift kit, hooker equal shorties, BBK X,Flows, Ported E7's w/3 angle v-job. 9.30 in 1/8 w/2.73 gears and 2.1 60ft pedalling for traction!
post #12 of 12 Old 12-18-2005, 03:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy4.6
It's exhaust valve float! Put in some springs/shims in on the exhaust side that will put you around 100#'s of seat pressure and it'll pull farther than your Vortech. Tim @ Modular Powerhouse has done several turbo 2V's and they all fell off up top, until the valve spring switch.

Basically the backpressure between the heads and the turbo (typically 2:1 manifold pressure to exhaust backpressure, sometimes it's even worse) works against the exhaust valve, and when the piston is back on it's way down for the intake stroke the exhaust valve opens and dumps gases into the intake charge, killing power.

2004 Redfire GT...PTE billet 71mm Turbo/Forged Alum. shortblock, custom cams, P51****sold to fellow Corraler****

2014 SGM A6 GT [email protected] CAI, Tune, off-road X, 19" DR's. Twin turbos coming for the fall of 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement