Boost control question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-30-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Boost control question

Well, I've decided to go with an HP turbo kit for my DSS 357 powered mustang. It's got Victor Jr. heads, GT-40 intake, and a custom turbo cam. I spent an hour on the phone with HP and I have some questions regarding boost control. I'm running the factory EEC-IV, and I was told that only three settings could be programed for three boost settings. I was thinking about a 6, 10, and 12 pound settings. Does this sound right to you turbo guys? Also, I was told that the 6 pound setting wouldn't work because of a spring in a waste gate- that's sorta wierd to me. I was just looking for some sort of a lower setting for usual driving and then something I could turn up for some serious fun- without cracking the motor since it's a super pro bullit with two bolt mains and a girdle.

Any suggestions for traction- I've got a tremec TK600 in the car now with a new SPEC stage III clutch. Thanks for the help- just want to avoid as many mistakes as I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM

With a boost controller, you can only turn the boost up from what the spring in the wastegate is rated at. For example, I have a Tial wastegate with a 9 lb spring. With no boost controller hooked up, I see about 9 lbs. With the boost controller, I can turn it up to 15 or more if I want, but not below 9 (peak). The wastegate spring determines your "lowest" peak-boost limit, if that makes sense. FWIW, the Hellion kit we're installing on a friend's car came with a Tubonetics Evolution wastegate, and I noticed it had 5, 7, and 9 lb. springs with it.

04 Mach 1
SLP Catback, PHP Spacer, K&N
Black, 5m, IUP, 40th Anniversary

89 GT
MP T70 Intercooled Single Turbo
Tremec TKO, GT40 Intake,
Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads, F303 cam
post #3 of 16 Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 AM

well said boosted89.............

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm......so any particular setup you would suggest as far as boost settings? Like I said, I was just looking for something streetable that would sorta hook for regular driving on street tires and then something that I could turn up for slicks. What boost ranges would you suggest?
post #5 of 16 Old 12-02-2005, 01:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
get something you can adjust from what the wastegate spring is for and 25 psi. I'm not saying you'd go that high, but thats just a good number, IMO.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Any type of air pressure regulator will work as a boost controller. I got mine from Home Depot. Run the 5 lb spring. You can run anywhere from 5 lbs to whatever the turbo will put out with it set up. You could even run the lines up to your ashtray, and have the little fun knob right at your fingertips.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (61)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
Any type of air pressure regulator will work as a boost controller. I got mine from Home Depot. Run the 5 lb spring. You can run anywhere from 5 lbs to whatever the turbo will put out with it set up. You could even run the lines up to your ashtray, and have the little fun knob right at your fingertips.
Hell yeah iam with you...the air regulator is the cheap and very effective boost controller..i also like the ashtray idea!!!!
Erik
post #8 of 16 Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You could even run the lines up to your ashtray, and have the little fun knob right at your fingertips.
That is where i have my manual boost controller sitting........

post #9 of 16 Old 12-03-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

That sounds like the plan.......that was sorta what I was looking for anyway was an in car adjustable boost controller.

Everyone I talk to around here is insisting that my turbo setup with a tremec is a bad idea........say I won't enjoy driving it. I just can't bring myself to put a C4 in the car. I guess I like shifting with a clutch too much. Any suggestions as far as tires/suspension? I would like to continue running my Tokico 5 ways. Anyone else doing this?
post #10 of 16 Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I dont want to hijack this thread but i do have a quick question. I was told by a member with manual boost controller you have to run it from the top port on the wastegate(there is none on mine). However, then another member said i'd have to run it from the lower port. Can someone clarify for me please?

post #11 of 16 Old 12-03-2005, 08:04 PM

run your manual from the side port........

just picture in your mind, a hose running from your turbo coldside (there should be a little port hole there) and then the hose to the lower port on the wastegate......your boost controller will just plop into the middle of this line........then, when you want more boost, you just screw in the control knob.......but it will never fall below, what your wastegate spring pressure rating is.......

and to the other post on the tremec.............they are off base a bit if you ask me, i am running an x2cmotorsports v.2 5speed and i love the **** out of it........i personally think that an automatic would take some of the fun out of driving my twinturbo's mustang......

just my .o2

post #12 of 16 Old 12-04-2005, 01:31 AM

Is your 357 351w based? If so make sure HP sends you the right kit. I have one of there kits but they must have sent me a 302 kit. My invoice shows I ordered the correct kit but it didn't fit worth a dam and after waiting 6 months to get it I was not about to send it back. Luckily my friend owns a machine/performance auto shop and after a week of working on it we got it to fit. (Lots of cutting and welding) Also their instruction manuel is wrong in a few places, I think they made changes to their kits after the manuel was written but they never updated it.

I have the same 5 way shocks you mentioned and they work fine although I have not made it to the track yet.

I wish you the best of luck and you will have fun once it is installed.

P.S. start looking in ways to redo the PCV system, as of now I keep blowing the PCV valve out of the intake which sprays oil all over the engine bay.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-09-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. As far as the PCV valve, I took all the emissions stuff completely off the car and put two breather caps on the valve covers. Hopefully this will eliminate a bunch of stuff. I got a little carried away and even cut the emissions stuff out of the harness.....to the point of removing the connector pins.

I am gonna break the motor in N/A while I wait on the kit, so hopefully things will seat and break in alright before the turbo.

I'll have to post some pics when it's all squared away.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-10-2005, 03:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
You can reference your controller from the side port and top port of the wastegate. Works much better this way. Helluva lot more stable.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'll have to post some pics when it's all squared away.
look forward to seeing em......
post #16 of 16 Old 01-22-2006, 08:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted89
With a boost controller, you can only turn the boost up from what the spring in the wastegate is rated at. For example, I have a Tial wastegate with a 9 lb spring. With no boost controller hooked up, I see about 9 lbs. With the boost controller, I can turn it up to 15 or more if I want, but not below 9 (peak). The wastegate spring determines your "lowest" peak-boost limit, if that makes sense. FWIW, the Hellion kit we're installing on a friend's car came with a Tubonetics Evolution wastegate, and I noticed it had 5, 7, and 9 lb. springs with it.

I need a little schooling.
why the differnt springs then?? why doesn't everyone just start with the lowest spring and use a boost controller to crank it up to whatever ??
or does each spring limit you to how high you can go??

1993 Notch: Mexican 347 Hellion TFS heads/GT40 intake/Custom Cam Tremec 3550
1992 GT Convert: Green/Blk interior, 10th anniversary cobra's mostly suspension mods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FB users please, PLEASE click "like" button. Thanks!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CaliNotch n MI; 01-22-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement