Which Turbo? Size & Brand - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Which Turbo? Size & Brand

After a night of Hell raising in my friends 700HP Turbo 92 LX, I have decided to nix my plans to build a car around a T-trim an go with a turbo setup. So, being the "small town white trash" person I am; I want to build my own Turbo setup. I have seen a lot of nice kits on the web and have done a lot of reading on Turbomustangs.com but I still have some questions mainly focused around the turbocharger itself. First, what size turbo? I am building a installing it on a 98 4V which will be running up to 7500 rpms. I was thinking T-66, but a few people say it is too small. I am looking to be at 650-700rwhp. I looked at a T-68 and a T-70 compressor maps and I think all three will do the job but, the bigger ones will do it obviously more efficiantly. This brings up another question, If I get the T-70 which A/R do I go with to get it to spool up fast but not create excessive pressure in the exhaust?

Once I get this all figured out, which brand of turbo do I buy? The Turbonetics and Garrett stuff looks nice but what makes them so much more money? Then there is Precision Turbo and Master Power. These Turbos are cheaper from what I have seen. If I go with one of these, What am I giving up in terms of quality?

Also If anyone has any good TIG welder info or links please pass them along.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

-gt40mkII's sig pretty much sums up working in a union shop- "People who do things badly are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well." -Journal of Personality and Social Psychology-

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI

Last edited by 97GT FREAK; 11-25-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Master Power.
good turbo..........will cover your need's and last along time.......

Hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

post #3 of 22 Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Master Power endorsement, can you tell me anything about the other questions I have?

Tim

-gt40mkII's sig pretty much sums up working in a union shop- "People who do things badly are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well." -Journal of Personality and Social Psychology-

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Limit Engineering also makes good turbos, they use Garrett parts for them and have a good reputation for standing behind their product.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (172)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT FREAK
Thanks for the Master Power endorsement, can you tell me anything about the other questions I have?

Tim

Do yourself a big favor and put a tubular suspension under it first. A t70 is plenty for what you are wanting to do and can be obtained inexpensively. Stay with master power unless you can find a garret or turbonetics for a decent price. Precision is also a good turbo from what I have read. If you are wanting to turn 7500 and still see full boost, try a .81 a/r exhaust housing. That should put it in there! Your car is similar to mine, but I have a 97 gt (2v) with a little 60-1. Here is a link to my DIY:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...?topic=50196.0

If you have any questions about anything specific on the car PM me.

99 4V GT VERT
post #6 of 22 Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks autosay97,

I have seen Master Power turbos on ebay pretty cheap. Anyone else have anything to say?

tim

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
post #7 of 22 Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Master Power is a decent brand for the money. The only bad thing I can say about them is that if you ever do happen to have a problem with it, they aren't the easiest to deal with getting them repaired directly from MP. Otherwise, they are good turbos.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
get a precision gt4067 or gt4088 turbo. It will kick the **** out of a MP T70.

Last edited by Eric88; 12-10-2005 at 03:29 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 AM

If you are serious about a master power's turbo, stay away from ebay. Check in with joe at boostedsystems.com , not only does he probably have some of the best price's on the net, he will help you if it fails.......joe is great people to deal with.

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
post #10 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 09:35 AM

Yeah, there are definitely better turbos and probably one in a Garrett that would fit your application a little better, but as said before, if you're stuck on MP, then they aren't that bad if you can deal with the crap from the manufacturer.

post #11 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt93mustang
Master Power is a decent brand for the money. The only bad thing I can say about them is that if you ever do happen to have a problem with it, they aren't the easiest to deal with getting them repaired directly from MP. Otherwise, they are good turbos.
So otherwise, you get what you pay for. I know someone here in town that got a MP T70 a year or so ago, his outlook on it from the get go was if the thing ever fails he will probably just trash can it because it was so damn cheap to begin with. Although I think they went up a good bit in pricing since he got his.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 PM

Yes, you get what you pay for with MP. However, they've gone up so much in price in the past year that it almost doesn't make sense purchasing an MP turbo because of all the hassle that's involved.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Thats cool your being honest about the turbos Joe and not being a sheeple herder like the rest of the TM vendors. Not that I'd expect any less from you.

I never told you but I talked to two turbo builders both of which have rebuilt a handful of the MP units and they both told me the same thing. The parts are 'ok' but the end seal is crap and thats usually where they have to put one of their seals in upon rebuild. Not only that, Charlie brought up that using p-trims beyond a certain wheel size bring you diminishing returns. Thats where GT turbos shine so well. Each one is a seperate turbine trim matched for that wheel or group of comp wheel trims. Thats why no one really sells, and INFORMED turbo communities have already figured out, p-trim beyond T66 is just not worth it. Performance only marginally goes up at the cost of spool. Hell, theres imports making 650+whp with GT40s, they are the same price as T70s, make rediculous power under the curve, yet no potential or current TMers even blink an eye at them. Amazing
post #14 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88
Thats cool your being honest about the turbos Joe and not being a sheeple herder like the rest of the TM vendors. Not that I'd expect any less from you.
Well, I still like the turbos, It's just that I liked them alot better when they were $150.00 cheaper. Now it doesn't make sense to purchase an MP 60-1 for $700 or $750 with a .81 or .96 a/r housing when you can get a Precision SC60 series turbo for $50.00 more, and be confident in the warranty and the service you'll get if/when the turbo needs to be rebuilt.

Quote:
I never told you but I talked to two turbo builders both of which have rebuilt a handful of the MP units and they both told me the same thing. The parts are 'ok' but the end seal is crap and thats usually where they have to put one of their seals in upon rebuild. Not only that, Charlie brought up that using p-trims beyond a certain wheel size bring you diminishing returns. Thats where GT turbos shine so well. Each one is a seperate turbine trim matched for that wheel or group of comp wheel trims. Thats why no one really sells, and INFORMED turbo communities have already figured out, p-trim beyond T66 is just not worth it. Performance only marginally goes up at the cost of spool. Hell, theres imports making 650+whp with GT40s, they are the same price as T70s, make rediculous power under the curve, yet no potential or current TMers even blink an eye at them. Amazing
I never heard back from you on yours. Did you get it taken care of. Is there anything I need to take care of on my end?
post #15 of 22 Old 12-10-2005, 07:50 PM

We're golden....check your PMs though
post #16 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I liked them alot better when they were $150.00 cheaper. Now it doesn't make sense to purchase an MP 60-1 for $700 or $750 with a .81 or .96 a/r housing when you can get a Precision SC60 series turbo for $50.00 more, and be confident in the warranty and the service you'll get if/when the turbo needs to be rebuilt.
That's absolutely right.......i hadn't realized that mp's had gone up that much in price. Kind of shocked to be honest with ya...You still may want to shoot joe at boostedsystems.com an email and see what he can do for ya....i bet not many people could be his price's on turbo's..
post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88
with GT40s, they are the same price as T70s, make rediculous power under the curve, yet no potential or current TMers even blink an eye at them. Amazing
I blinked a eye in that direction a year or so ago and have two bookends made to match my blinking.

--Admiral Aaron

post #18 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 02:52 PM

I really don't think GT40's will make as much power as a MPT70, even with the P-trim wheel. I've seen MPT70's make 750rwhp on a mustang, while I think the most I've seen (or read) about a GT40 making in a single application is around 680-700rwhp. I could be wrong on this though.
post #19 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

OK,

Back to my original post, I was also kind of looking for some opinions on what size of turbo to use.

Thanks for all of the discussion, please continue to do so. Also, I was looking at some small (for twins) Mitsubishi turbos with internal wastegates. I was looking at these on www.boostedsystems.com's site.

I doubt that I would go with twins but who knows?

Thanks,
Tim

1998 Cobra MPT76 @ 16PSI
post #20 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 PM

If you build a single setup, go with a PT76GTS. I wouldn't go with anything smaller then a T76 wheel on a 4V motor because they can consume tons of CFM.

As far a quality of Precision, you're going to get the same quality as with a Garrett, because Precision uses Garrett parts to build the turbos.

As far as a TIG welder goes, you can't go wrong with LINCOLN or MILLER. I have a MILLER and LOVE it.
post #21 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Oh, and if you do decide to go twins, I'm partial to the GT32's because of their size (small size, big power potential). However, a good T3/T4 hybrid will get you where you want as well.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Another vote for the PT76GTS or PT76GTQ. From what I read GTS with .96 A/R and GTQ with .81 A/R. Either way, either one will get you to your goal with good efficiency. Try a search on turbomustangs.com and you'll get even more great answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement