What else would i need to go turbo. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
What else would i need to go turbo.

Supposed to be buying a complete kit w/ a t-72.
Right now im running 100k+ factory shortblock, stock slightly ported heads, RPM2 intake, B-cam, 75mm tb, afm powerpipe, msd cap/rotor/coil/wires. Also have a 255 lph hp fuel pump, adj fpr, 42lb injectors, 75mm pro-m, PMS. Then i have a t56, spec stg 3, 4.10 gears.

What else do i need? I think my fuel system will be enough at 1st, and the PMS is ok for tuning i just have to take it somewhere to tune it. But is my igntion setup enough, is the B-cam a bad match. I dont expect this motor to last long so messing with changing the cam isnt really worthwhile i dont think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2005, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Also forgot i have just changed my headgaskets to graphite felpro's w/ arp bolts. My heads were warped and wouldnt hold when i sprayed it.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2005, 07:40 AM

Looks to me like you pretty much have everything covered....i would say the b cam may be fine. It seems too, that you understand boost may end up hurting that engine down the road, so for now, don't run your boost over 10psi, atleast i wouldn't......that will still be bad ass......

later, hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, couple more questions.

My pro-m is for n/a, would it work in a blow thru setup or does it need to be sent back and recalibrated, What about draw thru, same question would it need to be recalibrated? I ran it on a mostly stock motor w/ 42lbs and a huge dry shot and it was all around great, so i know its calibrated right on as it is.

I am completely new to turbo's just messed around w/ nitrous before, How does the car sense to the extra fuel according to boost. Do you "spike' the fpr like a dry kit or does my mam take care of it all? Just trying to figure out all the details, and a base tune for once its runnning.

Sorry for the newbie stuff just want a better understanding. After these i'll be ok i promise. Just like nitrous just takes some time before you really understand what all is going on.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-26-2005, 10:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Definitely get rid of the B-cam and put back in the stocker. There is a thread on turbomustangs somewhere where a guy gained 30hp by switching from the B to the stocker. I have the stocker and it drives pretty good. You will also have to get rid of the 4.10 gears. I would plan on a set of 3.55 or 3.27's. Many turbo guys are running 3.27's because turbo's are torque monsters, especially with the stock cam. You should not need to rev beyond 6000rpm. Keep it under that, avoid detonation, and you will be good to go. The fuel injectors are good and the MAF is good too. I actually have a PRO-M 75mm calibrated for a supercharger on mine. You will want to run the MAF as a blow thru. The fpr will compensate for boost. It will increase fuel pressure 1 psi for every psi of boost it is subjected to. Good luck.

1993 LX hatch
Incon 800TTi, AFR heads, Holley intake, stock cam
11.21 @ 124

480 whp, 520 wtq (10 psi)

Last edited by Steed93; 11-26-2005 at 10:19 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, that clears up alot for me. This kit runs the mam as a draw thru in the fenderwell, im gonna redo the turbo to tb pipe so i can put it in as a blow thru i guess. I need to mock it up so i can get a better idea of what though.
How much hp will the 42lbers support?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
How much hp will the 42lbers support?
I would say, 550 to 600 hp, give or take a few hp's...........
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed93
Definitely get rid of the B-cam and put back in the stocker. There is a thread on turbomustangs somewhere where a guy gained 30hp by switching from the B to the stocker. I have the stocker and it drives pretty good. You will also have to get rid of the 4.10 gears. I would plan on a set of 3.55 or 3.27's. Many turbo guys are running 3.27's because turbo's are torque monsters, especially with the stock cam. You should not need to rev beyond 6000rpm. Keep it under that, avoid detonation, and you will be good to go. The fuel injectors are good and the MAF is good too. I actually have a PRO-M 75mm calibrated for a supercharger on mine. You will want to run the MAF as a blow thru. The fpr will compensate for boost. It will increase fuel pressure 1 psi for every psi of boost it is subjected to. Good luck.
I am a little confused, are you saying if the mass air meter is calibrated for a pull through blower setup, you dont have to re-calibrate it to use it as a turbo blow through. Just wanted to clarify cause i have the same style setup in my coupe.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed93
I am a little confused, are you saying if the mass air meter is calibrated for a pull through blower setup, you dont have to re-calibrate it to use it as a turbo blow through. Just wanted to clarify cause i have the same style setup in my coupe.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I am not sure on that. Hopefully someone else will chime in on the answer. My meter is a blow-thru unit because it has the raised ribs to hold on the tubing attached to it. The calibration on the meter says it is calibrated for 42 S/C.

1993 LX hatch
Incon 800TTi, AFR heads, Holley intake, stock cam
11.21 @ 124

480 whp, 520 wtq (10 psi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement