Please Help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Please Help

Ok guys i need some advice here,Im talking to a fella about trading my 86 notch (naturally aspirated)for his 92 gt (with a turbo). I have always wanted a turbo car because i have seen the power you guys are getting out of them. I dont much about turbo's so im hoping your advice will steer me in the right direction.Ok here is what he has ,92 gt with a holset HX40 turbo with jet hot coated pipes,billet blow off valve not sure of brand,gt40 heads ported,vic.jr. intake,e-cam,750 holley modified for blow through,cometic head gaskets,mallory comp 140 pump and #10 teflon lined braided line,world class t-5 tranny with king cobra clutch,4-10 gears out back, 6al msd,manual boost regulator and is getting 14 to 18 lbs of boost. When i spoke to him today he said that it had 30 over forged pistons and a studde block for the heads instead of bolts and also says he has another turbo that im going to try to get in on the deal ,i think he said it was a t-65 or something like that.Does this car have the potential to be a pretty fast car or should i stay away from it .Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated

tryintokeep^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Why would he want to make that trade? Is your 86 a show car or something-or is the 92 an unfinished project? One thing to consider-that 92 won't get thru emmissions with a carb. I would do a leakdown or compression test on that motor and make sure it is in good shape. But if all the turbo stuff is set up and working and the car is in good shape and your 86 is pretty much a regular but nice 86, it sounds like an interesting deal. Those gears won't be the best for a turbo car but no biggy. Any pictures?
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
My biggest question is why does this guy want to do the trade.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Well the coupe is in good shape and it is a low 11'sec car on motor running pump gas .The guy told me he likes nos motors and that he got the turbo gt in on a trade he did with another guy ,Im a little skeptical my self thats i was wanting advice on the turbo set up.From what i have read on the net the holset HX40 is what they put in the dodge trucks so i dont know if its something that someone thru together or if its something that you can make work good with the car .He did tell me when he got the car he dynoed the car and it had 300hp to the rear but it had a cracked header ,a small fuel pump and line and the timing was set at 16deg.and it was real lean and was only getting 9 to 10 lbs. of boost.Since then he has added the mollary pump and teflon braided line,fix the header and bumped the timing up to 24 or 25 and its getting 14 to 18 lbs of boost but he hasent run it on the dyno or track so has no idea of a time or hp. Thanks for the feed back guys ,being new to this i dont want to screw my self and get rid of my baby for a car that i have to start from scratch with.Oh be the way the car came from Fl. and he said the carb has a stamp on it from a machince shop there called Real Speed Performance.Here is a couple of pics. of the motor and thanks again guys

Last edited by tryin2keep^; 11-19-2005 at 01:30 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 06:57 PM

If your notch is already a low 11 sec car and it is in nice shape, I would pass on this one. That is a DIY turbo setup for sure. Not that there is anything wrong with that but from your description it is not nearly running right and maybe has already been beaten up (300 hp and running lean on the dyno and putting the timing up etc. etc.) sounds like major trouble potential. For a 92 it would be more appropriate to have an injected turbo setup anyway. If the car was nice and for sale for a few K, that is a different story.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
post #6 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 08:36 PM

I have to agree with erich on this one...........i would pass for now and if you truely want to do a turbo car....then let's do a set up on the 86, which can be both show and go........
Quote:
why does this guy want to do the trade.
i would bet money that there are problem's with this 92........either motor or driveline...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Well guys thanks for the feed back ,I think i will tell im gonna pass,I really hated the thought of getting rid of my notch anyways.Its no show car but it runs good and you cant beat the way a notch looks with some big's and skinneys on it rumbling down the street,O'by the way he said he would sell it outright for $5,000 Thanks again guys
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2005, 02:11 AM

great decision................

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM

You dodged a bullet on this one.
Erich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement