thinking about going turbo! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
thinking about going turbo!

been debating on going with a turbo setup, i just dont know where to start.

my has has some mild mods, but most will need to be changed if i go with a turbo.

where do i start? basically no nothing about turbos, a little but not much.
been lookin at these turbos, wonder which would be best. i plan on turbo'ing my 302 then building a bigger motor and that will end being turbo as well.

can i just get one turbo and just swap it to the new motor when its done? also, wanting a pass side mount kit, so i dont need to relocate battery, and going with a kit for ease of install.

here are the turbos:

T-64
T70
HX 40
PT 6876

(i just did some ebay browsing and saw some turbos i thought might work)

1992 Ultra Blue GT sold
1991 Bright Red GT sold
-searching for an Ultra Blue-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (172)
The t-70 would probably be your all around best bet, you can go smaller like a TO4B 60-1, 62-1, but a t70 is big enough to support some serious hp on a 302 with good heads and intake. It is also big enough to do a good single for a 351 based motor. You can use a t70 on a 302 based motor with good heads, cam, and intake and make some sure enough power, then turn around and build a 408 and bolt the t70 right up to it. There is a lot more than meets the eye to just bolting on a turbo kit, you got compressor maps, hot and cold side a/r's, turbine wheel sizes, and piping diameter. The best thing that you could possibly do for yourself if you are serious about doing a turbo is visit www.turbomustangs.com and look around.

BTW, you can save a couple grand if you know a good welder who can put some pipes together for you.

STAY AWAY FROM SOME OF THE EBAY TURBOS LIKE XSPOWER, THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS IN THE PAST THAT MAY HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND AT LEAST BUY A GOOD HEADUNIT LIKE A GARRETT, TURONETICS, OR PRECISION.

99 4V GT VERT
post #3 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

right now im just gonna see how much power i can make out of the stock heads and stock cam. kinda just turbo the 302 for fun and really build up the 351w

i have been over to turbomustangs and honestly dont care for it too much at all. just a lot of little BS things that i dont like that aggrivate me.

i figured the T70 would do the job just wanted to make sure
whats a good price for a good condition used one?

i plan on buying a used kit with all the piping already done so i dont have to mess with it. got all winter to do this, so hopefully i can find some good deals.

few questions though assuming i will be using a T70 turbo.

whats the min. fuel requirements?
i currently have 24's, pro m 77mm, 65mm tb, 255 in tank
also an adj. fuel press reg.

1992 Ultra Blue GT sold
1991 Bright Red GT sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Get some 42# injectors w/ matching calibration and that should hold you until around 600-650 fwhp, you may want to get a t-rex pump to assist that intank. The pro-m you have should be fine (new calibration for the 42's of course) for a draw thru setup, but if you plan on going with a blow-thru get a procharger style mass air. Your tb is OK, could be bigger, but a 65 will definitely work for now. I am going to go ahead and tell you that the t70 is going to be pretty big for a basically stock 302, don't get me wrong it will work, but you may end up having to have smaller compressor and hot side turbine housings in order to get proper spool at a decent rpm. The t70 will kick ass on a 351 based motor or 331/347 though!! I haven't really priced them lately, but I think you can get a brand new one from precision for like $760 (I think.)

Dude, turbomustangs is the ultimate site for info. There are definitely ********s on there, but there is an overwhelming amount of info on that site.

99 4V GT VERT

Last edited by autosay97; 11-10-2005 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

definately tons of info. but i just feel like a complete moron when i browse that site. and hesitate to ask questions because i fear that most there will alienate me because i am completely new to the turbo scene even though you have to learn somewhere!

there is a lot of info and knowledgeable guys there, just dont feel like i fit in with them.

what you said directly after the turbo being big, got me lost lol. but i guess i should expect that knowing pretty much nothing about this.
so how do i make the turbo work accordingly on the 302?

also, what about headers? i have bbk shortys now and was told i can
flip them around and they would work.
if i do it that way, what should the rest of the exhaust setup be like.

1992 Ultra Blue GT sold
1991 Bright Red GT sold

post #6 of 13 Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Basically the compressor (cold/intake/boost) side and the exhaust turbine side both have an interchangeable housing, they are both rated by what they call a/r. Housings are something you really have to experiment with, you may talk with someone who is actually currently using a t70 on a mostly stock 302 and find out what a/r's they are using and go from there. I will be honest with you and tell you that I am a 4.6 2v guy and I am currently building my own kit http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...;topicseen#new , I can't tell you what headers to use on a 5.0. I know for a fact I have seen mac's flipped and work fine, so I would think the bbk's would work just as good. The bbk's are actually a better design to me because they have the solid flange instead of individual port flanges. You would have to merge both headers into a single pipe with a t4 (4 bolt rectangular) flange on the end of it to bolt your turbo to. Then route your downpipe wherever you want to.

99 4V GT VERT
post #7 of 13 Old 11-13-2005, 01:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (35)
I'm new to the turbo world as well. right now I'm having problems with turbomustangs and their moderators. they keep deleting my info and for sale threads. and they sure do have an attitude
post #8 of 13 Old 11-13-2005, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
[QUOTE=bdub_02]been debating on going with a turbo setup, i just dont know where to start.

my has has some mild mods, but most will need to be changed if i go with a turbo.

where do i start? basically no nothing about turbos, a little but not much.
been lookin at these turbos, wonder which would be best. i plan on turbo'ing my 302 then building a bigger motor and that will end being turbo as well.

can i just get one turbo and just swap it to the new motor when its done? also, wanting a pass side mount kit, so i dont need to relocate battery, and going with a kit for ease of install.
I have also thought about going with a Turbo for my stock 5.0.Like you,I am planning to Turbo the 302 and then later buy a 351W.I don't know alot about turbo's but the T-70 will not bevery nice to drive on the streets with a stock 5.0.I would rather go to a 62-1 that can put out 450- 500HP.It will spool much quicker and be funner to drive esp[ecially on the street.It depends on how long until you get the 351W.Whenever the 351 W is done you could sell the smaller Turbo.It may be a while for me though.A 60-1 or 62-1 is in the block splitting category and its either going to be that or a Twin Turbo setup for me. I wish Incon was still in business .The problem is that my car is a 5 speed and 99% of Turbo Stangs seem to have automatic Transmissions.It might be harder to fabricate with my Tremec 3550 transmission.Not sure on that.

Last edited by 5ltrStallon; 11-13-2005 at 04:48 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM

Why would it be harder to fabricate with a manual tranny? Mine was easier to fab up with the manual, there is more room with the manual and there aren't any tranny cooler lines in the way. I have a 3550 tranny behind my 4.6, and I am thinking about proshifting it to be able to full throttle shift.

99 4V GT VERT
post #10 of 13 Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just buy a kit and bolt it on.
I bought a kit from a turbo company and when they didn't ship it by the date they said they would I cancelled my order, and bought a used setup off a guy. It worked pretty good for about 3 weeks on my old 126K mile worn out engine car.
I guess that means it is time to upgrade.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-14-2005, 03:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Let me know if I can help out, with fabbing up a kit ( single or twin) or if you have any questions.. been there/done that
post #12 of 13 Old 11-14-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

poostang, are you talking about for a fox or modular?

im sure once it gets going i will have tons and tons of questions. right now just researching and saving

1992 Ultra Blue GT sold
1991 Bright Red GT sold

post #13 of 13 Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Either or.. anything from 87-04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement