Anyone runing turbos? How much PSI are you running? (Thread moved from 94/95 Tech) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Anyone runing turbos? How much PSI are you running? (Thread moved from 94/95 Tech)

Just wanted to know if anyone is running turbos and how much PSI they are running and what kind of block do you have? Basicaly i am trying to deside if realy need the R block or should i just settle with the sportsman block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 01:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I'm running up to 14 psi in my 1994 GT convertible, with NO intercooler (although I use 104 octane unleaded gas for the track). The car picked up 2 mph once I removed the intercooler (in other words, the Turbo Technology kit sucks...but so does any other kit that comes with that intercooler). My engine has an Explorer upper, GT40 lower, slightly ported GT40 Y heads, and a bone-stock, original 100,000 mile bottom end (block, crank, rods, pistons, rings). The turbo is a Turbonetics 60-1 hifi. Best ET, with a race weight of about 3750 lbs, is 11.65 last month at NMRA Bradenton. For my next engine I'll be using a B50 Sportsman block, which should be plenty.

-Mark

post #3 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 02:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I had 20+ psi with the turbo tech street kit, T04b turbo, canfield heads, stock cam, victor 5.0 intake, 3.55's, TKO, 3700+ lbs, stock short block, 10.8 @ 126.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking of getting the turbo design concepts turbo kit. any of you guys had experience with them, are they any good or do you know of better companies i should go with?
post #5 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 07:16 PM

I love turbo technology. Cartech will take you 3 years to get your kit, I think the TDC kit is ok, except their kits seem to have a downpipe right over the spark plugs, which turns me off.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

yeah i was thinking about the TDC kit but if there is better i would like to know. I want to make high 9's street car on street tires I know it sounds bit out there but hey thats my dream and i am gonna try getting it.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 09:10 PM

With all the stuff thats offered today, an 8 second street car on radials is possible.... its just up to you to put the puzzle together.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

but where should i go? i am thinking of going with dss engine and use the R block but what engine 306/331 or maybe a stroked 351, maybe i shouldnt get a stroked one at all. which is the best turbo, who is gonna do this for me in VA?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 09:36 PM

Stay away from DSS first of all, i've personally seen some motors royally screwed from them and would never go to them again.. They mass produce motors and dont take the time for quality. I'd recommend getting a rough idea of how much you want to spend, what you want to run, and then contacting Turbo People, they are in NY and would set it up real nicely. I'd stay with an R302 and small cubes, 331 is plenty.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

hopefuly not much more then 20k for engine and turbos without the work. oh forgot to add i wanna run 9's on street tires.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 10:06 PM

If you go twins, it shouldnt be tough. Single will take some work to fit a race kit in there with a good sized turbo.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

so you are saying i need to spend more then that to get what i want.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-04-2002, 11:11 PM

Stick with a 302 size motor if you want to run street tires. Turbo's make tons of torque, and if you add stroker torque to it, then its a nightmare on traction.

Anyway, I had a 93 GT, Box stock TFS TW heads, Box stock Cobra intake, 70mm tb, small blower cam (not really the best choice of cams, but it worked) T44b turbo (small) Stock computer no program and the car ran 126mph hitting the 6000 rev limiter 100' before the end. The auto trans was shot and the the converter was being overpowered. This was 15psi on stock block.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-05-2002, 12:52 AM

More turbo info (long)...>>>

So, you "only" have $20K to spend, huh? That's gonna evaporate quicker than you think, especially if you have someone else do the labor.

I'd recommend that you stick with a 302-based engine. You will blow a ton of extra money just putting a 351W-based engine in your car. The extra deck height of a W block will further complicate turbo installation. Keep in mind that I'm saying all of this from the viewpoint of a car owner who also does all of his own labor (why make it hard on myself?).

Cartech: I haven't personally had any experience with them, other than a few helpful phone calls. However, a buddy of mine ordered an intercooler from them a while back. Let's just say that I could have guzzled several truckloads of beer, melted down the cans, an built my own intercooler from scratch in a fraction of the time that it took Cartech to build his. Good stuff, but have patience. Also keep in mind that Cartech's founder, Corky Bell, published an excellent book called "Maximum Boost." Spend the $35 and pick up a copy.

Turbo Technology: Even though I have one of their 60-1 hifi kits on my 1994 GT, I have never been able to get any useful information from them over the phone. Maybe it's because Tracy is the guy who answers the phones there, and he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed (although he thinks he's being helpful -- he would prefer to attempt to answer your question with a vague answer than to give the call to someone who might have the correct answer). I have been able to get some useful information from them, but it sure wasn't from Tracy.

TDC: Their SN95-specific twin turbo kits appear to be new, I think. For quite a while, I thought they only offered them for the Fox cars (but I could be wrong). TDC told me about 2 years ago that you could put a Fox kit on an SN95 car "simply" by running Fox accessories (water pump, alternator, PS pump, AC compressor, and brackets). BTW, I dont know how an R12 Fox AC compressor would work with an R134a SN95 system. But like I told Turbo Dan, if you don't mind ditching your SN95 PS and AC, it would be easy to run Fox brackets and accessory eliminator pulleys. A big problem with the SN95 is the accessory locations. All accessories sit much closer to the block (further back) than Fox accessories do, which can make header and turbo intake fitment a real adventure.

Keep one thing in mind: for the most part, all that these "kit" companies actually manufacture is PIPE. That's about it. Maybe a custom FMU here and there (but with proper injectors and mass air meter, there is no need for an FMU). The intercoolers are pretty much comprised of generic Spearco cores with end tanks welded onto them (again, generic as well). The turbos are usually sourced from the main manufacturer (Turbonetics, Garrett, etc.), so the turbo quality has nothing to do with the kit manufacturer. In other words, most of the turbo kits contain equivalent hard parts...it's mostly the tubing and little stuff that varies.

I know that this reply will probably generate a lot of flame mail, but I'd say that I know what I'm talking about. While I'm not exactly an old-school veteran, I have been working with my own turbocharged setup for well over 3 years (and a supercharger for 3 years before that)...that's a lot longer than the average person who just jumped on the turbo bandwagon!

-Mark

BTW...I'm in the process of building a "junkyard twin turbo" setup for my 1987 LX 5.0. My goal is for the car to run low 10s/high 9s (maybe) with a relatively stock bottom end, and keep it comfortable for street driving with good manners, quiet exhaust, and functional AC (hey, I live in Florida, it gets hot down here), although the PS may have to "take one for the team." For now, I'll be using stock Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Garrett T3s, but in the future I may upgrade to a pair of T3/T4 hybrids.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-06-2002, 11:15 PM

Cool ttt

ttt
post #16 of 16 Old 04-08-2002, 04:31 PM

My buddy has a TDC stage 2 twin turbo kit on his car putting out 800 hp he used a block out of a 69 mustang and is putting out 15 psi on pump gas and 25 psi on cam 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement