converting from n2o to turbo possibly - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-20-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
converting from n2o to turbo possibly

im looking to convert from a nitrous to a turbo setup. i am currently in the process of building the shortblock, and i want to decide before i order my pistons. what would it require me to buy to convert from the carb to efi, and would i be able to go in the mid 8 second range with this setup.

i have pat musi ported high ports, along with a 408, all 4340 internals(in a stock block for now). i was looking into ordering the pro turbo kits drag radial kit. now a few questions i have are 1) will the intercooler keep me from being able to have a passenger? 2) can i put a mild tune in it to keep me in the 800-900 hp range? 3) how street friendly would this setup be?

im new to the whole turbo setup, so it would be great if those who know it will share their info. thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 08:00 AM

Your specs are close to upper limits of street ...
Drop compression to 8.5 ....

1991 XR8 Australian Falcon TFS induction
2014 Falcon GTE Supercharged Coyote

85 Lb inj Custom cam ,P 2000 Haltech ecu...4x's 2 coil wasted spark ignition.Twin SC 61-2s with Dart block, 330/4340 Crank, Oliver rods,7.9/ comp c C.P pistons.. 482 rwkw/ 646 rwhp..A.P 4 pot brakes...TKO
post #3 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your response. I have decided against using the 408 and building an r block 331 or a dart block 358. I may even go with the 306, who knows as of yet. I just want to make sure whatever i build can and will be driven on the street to car shows and the like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnacatchya99
thank you for your response. I have decided against using the 408 and building an r block 331 or a dart block 358. I may even go with the 306, who knows as of yet. I just want to make sure whatever i build can and will be driven on the street to car shows and the like.
Well in all honesty, a 900 horsepower car isn't really a street car anymore. With todays gas prices, its gonna hurt.

You can still have a intercooler with your car and keep a passenger. (Depending on the type of intercooler you want). I'd recommend a air-to-water intercooler. You can put the tank in the back seat area of the car. (Its still a long distance, but make sure you put the charge core really close to the throttlebody). For drag style cars I only recommend air-to-water. For Road Racer types, I recommend a air-to-air.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Do you think with a mild tune up in the car i still won't be able to street drive it? cost not being a factor (pump gas tuneup). im new to the turbos and any help is appreciated
post #6 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnacatchya99
Do you think with a mild tune up in the car i still won't be able to street drive it? cost not being a factor (pump gas tuneup). im new to the turbos and any help is appreciated
Yes, you can easily drive a 900 HP turbo car on the street. It'll use gas when you get on it, but you can still tune a 331/347/358 to get good mileage. If you're doing a dart block with all forged internals go a minimum of 331 inches, it doesn't cost you anything more than a 306 but helps out with turbo spool and mid range torque.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 08:57 PM

Numbers in sig. Exactly how it is driven on the street...no problems and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2005, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

thank you high school phenomenon and 1 quick 6. your input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement