S-Trim or Junkyard twin turbo setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
S-Trim or Junkyard twin turbo setup

Well i'm in the process of changing from a nitrous to boost combo. The motor will be a 306 stock rods, crank, block, and blower pistons, custom cam, afr 165s, performer intake and a tremec. I like the idea of just being able to bolt on a blower and be done with it. But i also wouldnt mind buying a hotside and pair of t3s and going from there. I want about 12psi of boost, 450-500rwhp, not more than that because of the stock block. Shooting for low 11s or high 10s. Opinions?

90 White LX Notch...no motor for now
Old Combo- 10.90 Blown 306
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
If you want easy, go with the blower. Your 4.10s will match that and not the turbos.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Turbo Wizard

I second just going with the blower, it is capable of meeting your goals and simple to put on.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Dac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlackGT
Well i'm in the process of changing from a nitrous to boost combo. The motor will be a 306 stock rods, crank, block, and blower pistons, custom cam, afr 165s, performer intake and a tremec. I like the idea of just being able to bolt on a blower and be done with it. But i also wouldnt mind buying a hotside and pair of t3s and going from there. I want about 12psi of boost, 450-500rwhp, not more than that because of the stock block. Shooting for low 11s or high 10s. Opinions?
Just bolt on a S-Trim and be done with it, it will get you where you want to be and they are really easy to install in a afternoon.

Turbocharging is also a good option, but I recommend against JY Turbos. (You'll have to get them rebuilt, have all the tubing made, etc.. which will generally end up costing you as much as a new kit in the long run.). However with your 4.10 gears, you probably should get the Supercharger over a turbo. (Turbos like higher gears, while superchargers like mid to low gears.).
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

The gears will most likely be changed to 3.73s or 3.55s when i add boost because i run out of gear as it is with the nitrous and want to see a little bit better highway mileage.

90 White LX Notch...no motor for now
Old Combo- 10.90 Blown 306
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
It depends on what you want....blowers are easier but turbos can make more hp do to less parasitic loss. If you are good at fabrication, then I would go turbo. Alot of guys are building JY systems for less than half the cost of a blower. I am in the process of building a single turbo system and have already bought my turbo, intercooler, mandrel bends, maf, injectors, battery relocation kit and misc fittings and have only spent $850.00.

But the most important reason to go turbo....they just sound cool!

88 GT-11:1 302, 5.4 rods, mahle dome pistons, ported rpm heads, custom cam, 75mm pro-m, 24lb inj, 70mm tb, 3.55 gear, T-5
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2005, 09:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I'm on the fence as well. Trying to decide between an S-trim or a DIY Single turbo setup. The S-trim would be much easier to install, but I like the numbers that the turbo guys are putting down. I've been looking into the B&G manifolds and crossover kit, then buying a new Garrett GT-40 turbo (can get a great deal on one), buying an intercooler and then just fabbing up the piping. Don't think it will be that hard to do. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the single turbo, cause like 5.0 in OK said, "they just sound cool!"...lol and not many Stangs in my area are turbocharged.

99 Tahoe - DD/Tow Rig
81 Fairmont Wagon - Long-Term Project
83 Fairmont 4-door - For Sale
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Dac

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by untchabl
I'm on the fence as well. Trying to decide between an S-trim or a DIY Single turbo setup. The S-trim would be much easier to install, but I like the numbers that the turbo guys are putting down. I've been looking into the B&G manifolds and crossover kit, then buying a new Garrett GT-40 turbo (can get a great deal on one), buying an intercooler and then just fabbing up the piping. Don't think it will be that hard to do. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the single turbo, cause like 5.0 in OK said, "they just sound cool!"...lol and not many Stangs in my area are turbocharged.
Just because Magaizines say you'll be pulling X amount of horses, doesn't mean once you put the turbocharger on your car, it will pull that power.

Fabbing up the pipping is not as easy as you may think. Been there Done that and let me tell you, it will get OLD FAST. Its amazing when you look at your car and say, the turbocharger will fit here FINE. Guess what, it never works out that way.

Heres my experience.

I decided on a Single T-63E Turbocharger. I decided to turn the shorty headers around and mount them on the opposite heads. I then would run a pipe from the passenger side header, down infront of the front sway bar and then back up to the driver side. The turbo was to be mounted where the battery was located. I then would run the exhaust out under the drivers side header, between the steering shaft and to a Y connector so I could retain the factory dual exhaust look.

Sounds easy right?

Wrong.

Making the pipe that goes from the passenger side to the turbo's inlet Y pipe was not easy. You're better off putting a flex pipe in the middle of it so that when you go bolting it up, if your slightly off, it will bolt up. If it was a straight piece like I had and barely off, it wouldn't align correctly after a couple heat cycles (When you removed it, it wouldn't go back on).

Also routing the downpipe wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. This was a NIGHTMARE.

Also the cold side wasn't easy also. I had it routed from the turbo, to a front mounted intercooler, then from the intercooler to the BOV, MAF Meter, then to the throttlebody. I got so frustrated with the piping from the intercooler to the throttlebody, I ended up just calling Cartech Racing and had them BUILD me one. Working in tight spaces its hard to measure the correct angles you need.

After I got the Cold side/hot side done, I discovered another nasty flaw in my thinking about a week later. Driving down the road, the car just died. No power.

Popping the hood, I discovered that my Turbocharger placement was great for accessibility and keeping the stock accessories, however if you put the turbocharger where the stock location of the battery is, make sure you put heat shields around all your wiring. The Turbocharger radiated enough heat, to make a fuselink soft and melted away part of the insulation. The wire then touched the inner fender and you can guess what happened (Burned fuselink)

Like I said, if you think its going to be easy, you're in for a real education.

I'm not trying to discourage you from a Turbocharger, just saying, its not as easy as the magazines say.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Dac, I 100% agree with you. I fully expect the turbo build to be difficult. The B&G turbo manifolds eliminate the hassle of having to get the manifolds and crossover piping to line up correctly and it also places the turbo in a appropriate location (passenger side) to limit the amount of wiring that could be damaged from heat. Fabbing up the cold side will be challenging, but I don't think that it would be extremely difficult. I don't trust the magazines at all, hardly even read them anymore to tell the truth. I have been doing all my research here and on TurboMustangs.com

99 Tahoe - DD/Tow Rig
81 Fairmont Wagon - Long-Term Project
83 Fairmont 4-door - For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement