twins or singles? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
twins or singles?

Thought this might make an interesting thread...

What do you guys think makes for a better turbo system on a 5.0, twin turbos or a single? What do you think are the positives and negatives to each system when compared to each other?

1986 5.0TT Tribute Car
2010 Ranger 4.0
1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2005, 09:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Ran a single 60-1 turbo on my 5.0 and loved it. Twins= more complication & more expensive,but yeild more horsepower if the turbos are choosing right,with not having to upgrade on the turbo like a single. Faster spooling time (see last sentence). But than again it all depends on what the engine combo is and what you want your goal to be.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Twins are nice if you want to make some huge power levels and still keep some street going items under the hood. Once you step past the T76 or PT88 I guess you end up having trouble fitting it all in there. Of course it depends on what you want to keep in the first place.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
It's a matter of preference......I chose twin's for my car and enjoy the heck out of em....have a friend that just did a single turbo on his car and is using a 101mm turbo.....just my .02

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2005, 07:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I wanted to keep mine a true street car (AC, power steering, full stereo, etc.) so I went with a single turbo because in a '94-'95 car you couldn't go twin without losing things like AC as there is no room to move under the hood! I've heard about the turbo lag, but with each passing day lag becomes less and less of an issue as the technology keeps improving.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxfiveo1994
I wanted to keep mine a true street car (AC, power steering, full stereo, etc.) so I went with a single turbo because in a '94-'95 car you couldn't go twin without losing things like AC as there is no room to move under the hood! I've heard about the turbo lag, but with each passing day lag becomes less and less of an issue as the technology keeps improving.

Wrong. Twins on 94-95's are possible with the right headers. And turbo lag comes from not choosing the right turbo to match your combo. You can have a turbo that will spool off idle if you want...but it will die by 4-4500rpm probably. Its about a package...not just turbos. Not just technology.

And its a toss up which is cheaper. I think twins have a easier "hotside" but a more complicated cold side. But if you get a dual in single out intercooler, then the twin cold side just became as easy as a single cold side. BUT that nice IC is more expensive than a regular single in/out IC. So its more money there. But if you go twins, you can most likely find the smaller turbos in junkyards or something for cheaper than 1 bigger single turbo so u save money there. lol see...it goes back and forth. It depends on what you want to build.

Do what i did. Map out each direction with costs and see where you stand. Dont forget that "twins" have that cool factor But either way, you cant lose. Just spend your time on turbomustangs.com reading and make good choices. Cant go wrong with a turbo(s).

-Nate
'95 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement