Wastegate? dumptube or to downpipe? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (61)
Wastegate? dumptube or to downpipe?

Hey guys, i have a question about Wastegate exhaust gases.
Iam building a single turbo 347 with a turbonetics t-88, with there Newgen wastegate..anyway what do u recommened, should i have the wastegate blow the hot exhaust gases thru a dump tube (seprate from downpipe), or should i have the wastegate blow the hot exhaust gas into the downpipe thru the exhaust system. I understand it would be quieter to run the wastegate thru the down pipe due to it running thru the intire exhaust system...BUT iam only going to have a downpipe to a straight thru bullit type muffler out the side of the car..so its not really going to be a quiet exhaust anyway..
Is there any performance agains for running a dump tube from the wastegate or thru the down pipe?
Is it just prefrence?
Any info would be great
thanks
Erik

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
It is more preference than anything although I do believe their is a slight performance gain to dump it to atmosphere. I personally think that sounds like ass and would do it into the downpipe even if my only muffler was a bullit.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 04:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
it just prefrence
yes....if you can, dump it into your downpipe and be done with it....the gain to the atmosphere would hardly be worth it in my opinion...

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys i figured it was just prefrence..i see all these imports with just a dump pipe off there wastegate...it dosnt sound all that good when the wastegate opens, but i never heard a dump tube off the wastegate on a V8...
thanks
Erik
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Turbo Wizard

exhaust dumping to atmosphere on a I4, V6, V8, W8, V10, V12, etc ... all sounds like ass in my opinion

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

This is writing by TwinTurboGT on Turbomustangs.com

Wastegates work on a pressure differential, so dumping it to atmosphere controls boost much better, and it reduces backpressure and turbulence in the downpipe. I had my wastegate (tial 44) routed back into the downpipe about 6 inches off the turbo and I was having trouble controlling boost. Plugged that up and tried a dumptube routed out of the engine bay, I picked up about 20 RWHP and boost was actually controlable. With it routed into the downpipe it would hit your preset boost target, then creep like a mofo. If I wanted 18 psi I set the boost controller to 12, it would hit 12 by 3000 and then creep up to 18 by redline. Takes away a lot of the advantage of that big mid range boost hit with a turbo. With the WG dumped I set it to my boost target and it holds it. Dump the wastegate and put a muffler on it if you want. If you don't muffle it or run the dumptube back more towards the rear of the car it sounds like a giant exhaust leak, because that's what it is.

Makes me start to think about it know....looks like there could be a "performance" gain.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Turbo Wizard

There can be a performance gain and even a big one but it also depends on how the thing is routed back into the downpipe and as to the size of the wastegate for the application. I have seen guys max out T76 turbos in their power rating and just using Tial 38mm gates and routed back into their downpipes then I have seen guys with the same wastegate unable to control boost with just a T60 on a stone stock motor. It is all in how the complete system is designed as to what will cause you to gain performance or lose it.

--Admiral Aaron

post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
There can be a performance gain and even a big one but it also depends on how the thing is routed back into the downpipe and as to the size of the wastegate for the application. I have seen guys max out T76 turbos in their power rating and just using Tial 38mm gates and routed back into their downpipes then I have seen guys with the same wastegate unable to control boost with just a T60 on a stone stock motor. It is all in how the complete system is designed as to what will cause you to gain performance or lose it.
Yeah iam using the Turbonetics T-88 with there NewGen wastegate...the wastegate is there newist design and states it a flow upto 1,000 hp..It is the flap door style not the popet valve...I guess ur right on how the intire system is designed (postion of parts and piping).
Erik
post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 PM

yeah i thought one of the nice things about turbo cars was how quiet they are, when you dump it to atmosphere it sounds like an open header car everytime you hit the gas, which IMHO sounds like ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement