Turbo Emissions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Turbo Emissions

I was thinking about getting the helion kit for my 89 fox since they have a cat option but then it says its still for off-road use, so whats the point of the cat option? I dont have emissions in my town yet but I get the feeling it will be coming soon since Atlanta is expanding so rapidly, I just dont wanna drop 5 grand and have to trailer the car. Would you guys just find another power adder or is there an easier way around this problem? I gotta say that nothing sounds better than that turbo spool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-21-2005, 06:49 PM

lol as your name is catless wonder

post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Still for offroad use is probably there because technically you are not supposed to deviate from the factory 4 cat setup. Yet look at how many people get by just fine with long tubes and a pair of cats. It definately is a call you have to make yourself, but chances are if/when they go to tests in your area you will not fail the visual but will need to pass the sniffer part itself. If really worried, I'd just go with an SC.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-21-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

lol, gtman I guess you got me there, yeah my cobra is catless, but doing a pipe swap versus pulling all that piping from a turbo off to make it pass emissions is what I meant. Im probably going to pull the Dr. Gas pipe off anyways and go with SLP catted, my emissions ticket paranoia owns me.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Turbo Wizard

I share the same paranoia, back before they were even doing the tests here I got a ticket for no smog pump and it put a world of hurt onto my pocket book.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Oklahoma dropped ALL testing like 4 years ago, i'm still waiting for the emissions testing to come back in CARB form (yay!) Which is why i still have my smog pump (no cats though). You could prolly call hellion and ask them if they've actually done a sniffer test on their system with a cat, and if worse comes to worse you could just add cat(s) after your downpipe couldn't you?

91 lx hatch. Performer heads, Performer 2 intake, 1.7rrs, tfs 1 cam, pullied a-trim with power pipe, long tubes, orx pipe, and a magnaflow catback, [email protected] on 17" Nittos.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Turbo Wizard

You can get cats with the hellion kit and they are done post downpipe.

--Admiral Aaron

post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

yeah, Im gonna shoot them an email tomorrow, and honestly I think the Helion kit retains the smog pump, so as long as it would pass the sniffer, there shouldnt be anything to stop me.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Turbo Wizard

Several kits let you retain the smog pump. The only ones that I think do not allow it are HP and PTK/PTS. I think you have to modify your smog lines some to make them work with the smog pump and the Hellion kit but I am sure it is nothing major.

--Admiral Aaron

post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2005, 10:03 AM

i kept my smog pump on my hellion kit.also ordered the cat from them as well.had to reroute the smog pump hoses but it was no big deal.used one of the factory smog hoses as a sample and matched up the bends with some hoses from napa and went from there.works great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement