Best "bolt-on" complete turbo kit?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-08-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 264
Best "bolt-on" complete turbo kit??

I have an 88 LX 5.0 and that is basically stock and i was wondering if there is a small turbo kit made that is a complete bolt on, including the turbo, all hardware, fuel upgrades and intercooler that is sold and makes adding a turbo to a 5.0 easy. Also, if any of you have used it, how well did it work for you?? How hard to get 380 rwhp out of a stock 5.0 with a turbo??

MWymard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWymard
I have an 88 LX 5.0 and that is basically stock and i was wondering if there is a small turbo kit made that is a complete bolt on, including the turbo, all hardware, fuel upgrades and intercooler that is sold and makes adding a turbo to a 5.0 easy. Also, if any of you have used it, how well did it work for you?? How hard to get 380 rwhp out of a stock 5.0 with a turbo??

www.turbomustangs.com

they have a list of turbo kit makers.

Hellion power systems has to be the hottest oen right now. THere is also a place called turbo time in IL near where i live that has a hidden turbo system.

I dont anything bout them yet.!!! going to see the shop hopefully i a week or so.

but check out the above website. they can tell you alot more.

Fivocapri is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 04:53 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivocapri
www.turbomustangs.com

they have a list of turbo kit makers.

Hellion power systems has to be the hottest oen right now. THere is also a place called turbo time in IL near where i live that has a hidden turbo system.

I dont anything bout them yet.!!! going to see the shop hopefully i a week or so.

but check out the above website. they can tell you alot more.
If I were in the market for a turbo, I would definitely go with Hellion. In stock, on the shelf kits ready to ship...everything needed down to the zip ties, and supposedly really good instructions. Even comes with a tubluar front suspension.
TomballGuy05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
93FIVEOH's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballGuy05
Even comes with a tubluar front suspension.
That's for the newer cars with the modular engines. The fox-body kits don't come with the tubular suspension. What I like about the Hellion, is that you don't have to cut into your engine bay to route the kit.

Kevin
93FIVEOH is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93FIVEOH
That's for the newer cars with the modular engines. The fox-body kits don't come with the tubular suspension. What I like about the Hellion, is that you don't have to cut into your engine bay to route the kit.

another thing is that his kits come with a turbocharger. I have seem some kits that claim the same thing as john does with his but when you go to see what the price is you have to add in a turbo. which bumps the price to well over a 1k over what hellion is selling their systems at.
Fivocapri is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Turbo Wizard
 
snipe656's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Posts: 4,289
Turbo Technology Inc(TTI) also sells complete street turbo kits for that car. With it being an 88 you might want/need to convert the car to mass air. Turbo Time is ran by Ivan who used to get onto online mustang turbo forums a lot. I have never had the chance to see his kits in person but do know he is a very picky indidual so they probably are not lacking in quality.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snipe656 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
Turbo Technology Inc(TTI) also sells complete street turbo kits for that car. With it being an 88 you might want/need to convert the car to mass air. Turbo Time is ran by Ivan who used to get onto online mustang turbo forums a lot. I have never had the chance to see his kits in person but do know he is a very picky indidual so they probably are not lacking in quality.

thats is good to know. Turbo time is only hour away from where i live. I hope to visit the shop next week.
Fivocapri is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Registered User
 
93FIVEOH's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 5,117
How long has Turbo Time been established?

Kevin
93FIVEOH is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Turbo Wizard
 
snipe656's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Posts: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93FIVEOH
How long has Turbo Time been established?
I think a few years now, I vaguely remember when he started R&D and "broke ground" to build a shop. I know he had been doing turbo kits prior to that but it was resell/install if memory serves me right.

I like the idea behind their kits a lot and if I were doing a Fox body car again I would definately be considering between them, Hellion and TTI. I have never seen one of Turbo Time or Hellion kits in person though so I can not vouche one way or the other about their quality.

Fivocapri, the owner of Turbo Time has a low mileaged black coupe that he tested their first single and then twin low mount kits on, maybe he keeps it at the shop to be seen. Have you called and talked to them? Their kits are pricey, especially the stainless one, big contributer is that they do them in 321 stainless and that stuff is far from cheap.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snipe656 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
I think a few years now, I vaguely remember when he started R&D and "broke ground" to build a shop. I know he had been doing turbo kits prior to that but it was resell/install if memory serves me right.

I like the idea behind their kits a lot and if I were doing a Fox body car again I would definately be considering between them, Hellion and TTI. I have never seen one of Turbo Time or Hellion kits in person though so I can not vouche one way or the other about their quality.

Fivocapri, the owner of Turbo Time has a low mileaged black coupe that he tested their first single and then twin low mount kits on, maybe he keeps it at the shop to be seen. Have you called and talked to them? Their kits are pricey, especially the stainless one, big contributer is that they do them in 321 stainless and that stuff is far from cheap.
I called turbo time yesterday. I like to talk in person, so hopefully in a bout a weeki am going to go visit. The kits are not that pricey if you stop and think about it. $3695 with the mild steel and $4995 with the 321 stainless. Turbo time's price is right inline with Hellions price.


Last edited by Fivocapri; 08-09-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Fivocapri is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Turbo Wizard
 
snipe656's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Posts: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivocapri
I called turbo time yesterday, I like to talk in person. The kits are not that pricey if you stop and think about it. $3695 with the mild steel and $4995 with the 321 stainless. Turbo time's price is right inline with Hellions price.
True, although some would like to argue that Hellion kits as well as TTI ones are too much money as well. Let us know how the shop visit goes. There is also something to be said about being able to go with a company "local" to you.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snipe656 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 08-10-2005, 03:11 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
True, although some would like to argue that Hellion kits as well as TTI ones are too much money as well. Let us know how the shop visit goes. There is also something to be said about being able to go with a company "local" to you.

I didnt even know they existed untill a few days ago. lol

but yeah it is very nice to have some one local that is easy access. I close on my house hopefully on the 15th. I want to get down there by the end of next week. Will definately keep yah informed on the visit
Fivocapri is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 08-26-2005, 10:10 AM
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 12
hellion.................
4406 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Turbo Wizard
 
snipe656's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Posts: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivocapri
I didnt even know they existed untill a few days ago. lol

but yeah it is very nice to have some one local that is easy access. I close on my house hopefully on the 15th. I want to get down there by the end of next week. Will definately keep yah informed on the visit
Did you ever make it up to their shop?

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snipe656 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 08-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered User
 
Untchbl's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 1,017
And just for the record, my stock 132k mile long blocked car with a 67s and an older PTK kit put down 380 something at the rear wheels and 490 ft/lb's of torque at 10#'s. Useing 42# injectors, and pro-m univer and a 255lph intank pump.


So yes it's not that difficult to make that much power

91 Strawberry Coupe
Untchbl is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Registered User
 
Blackfive0's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (62)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Midlothian,VA
Posts: 2,108
I got my kit from Hp performance. There web address is www.turbochargedpower.com
I think it is a very nice kit and it came with everything that i needed, even zip ties. and you should beable to get 380hp out of it. You can even give them a call and ask them all the question that you want, they helped me out all the way. If you want pics of one on a car they have them on the web sit and i can send you some just pm me
Blackfive0 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Registered User
 
93FIVEOH's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (13)
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 5,117
Did you install the HP kit yourself? I have seen a few warning threads about them. But different reactions will always be had.

Kevin
93FIVEOH is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 689
I am quite happy with my PTK kit...
Cld12pk2go is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Registered User
 
badasst7's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coral Springs/Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 424
I am trying to put a group buy together on pro turbo kits.. Let me know if you are interested or subscribe to my thread in the group purchase section!

04 Mystic Cobra, 08 Dodge Ram HEMI
In Memory 9.11.01
Champ 9-12-03 Im gonna miss ya bud!!
"If everything is under control, you are going to slow"
badasst7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome