Proshifted 5spd or Auto for my new turbo set up????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Proshifted 5spd or Auto for my new turbo set up?????

i find my self in a position to purchase a Tremec pro shifted TKO trans rated to 900hp CHEAP!!!!!....i am new to the turbo scene and have been banging gears with my old Nitrous set up for the last 8 or 9yrs, i love 5spds!!!! i am wondering however...what would be better for the track, a built C-4 or a Proshifted 5spd with SUPER light parts for my new turbo set up....

by the way, i drive the car like i hate it!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
definately go with a powerglide theyre the absolute best tranny to use with a turbo set up, I tried the manual thing with turbos you just break too much stuff and the launch is way softer with a glide so you dont blow the tires away under boost or shoot the nose straight towards the sky, glide all the way I'll never use anything else on a turbo car.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphiejantz
definately go with a powerglide theyre the absolute best tranny to use with a turbo set up, I tried the manual thing with turbos you just break too much stuff and the launch is way softer with a glide so you dont blow the tires away under boost or shoot the nose straight towards the sky, glide all the way I'll never use anything else on a turbo car.
Idunno....Lentech AOD's are pretty badass..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

just the thought of going auto makes my head hurt...i think if i go auto it'll be a lentech
post #5 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVBadBoy
i find my self in a position to purchase a Tremec pro shifted TKO trans rated to 900hp CHEAP!!!!!....i am new to the turbo scene and have been banging gears with my old Nitrous set up for the last 8 or 9yrs, i love 5spds!!!! i am wondering however...what would be better for the track, a built C-4 or a Proshifted 5spd with SUPER light parts for my new turbo set up....

by the way, i drive the car like i hate it!!!!!
What will you use the car for? What will the power goals be? 5-speeds tend to not last well in very high hp turbo cars but then again either do C4s in most of them.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

the car would be used, kinda like a weekend warriar, i dont have time to be racing all the time and i'm not much of a cruiser type of guy, as of now, the trans would be used on a pretty mild 306 probably a little over 500hp (who knows its not tuned YET) it MAY see its share of street use....cough...couch...streetracing....cough.... i am getting ready to build a 347 on a mexican block, w forged internals, Victor jr. heads and a parker funnel web intake with Accel DFI and #72....so i dont know what power i'd make with that....hopefully 700hp....in truth, i hate the idea of going auto and really want to use a 5spd, i just want opinions..
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Turbo Wizard

Getting a 5-speed to last around 700hp is sometimes easier said than done. You end up having to spending some serious $$$ on clutches that do not tend to be the longest lasting things and beyond that most of the transmissions it seems to be a shooting match as to how long 3rd gear will last. Then keeping it in between the ditches becomes a lot more challenging as well. I'd probably try out the pro shifted 5-speed at that level, my buddy had a pro-shifted TKO in his car making 620fwhp and it lasted for ever but was a total PITA to drive fast. He upgraded his turbo setup and probably was around 700fwhp and it was at that point damn near impossible to really race it so he eventually downgraded his power level instead of going to an automatic.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

yeah, the 5spd im talking about is a proshifted Tremec TKO w/ hardened internals, my friend paid like 3 grand for it, he said its rated to 900hp.... i will be using a Spec Stage V clutch or a QuarterMaster 8.5" racing clutch.... either way, i plan on sparing NO expense on the clutch/flywheel/driveshaft cause i already bought the trans from my friend....too good of a deal.....another question i am running into is, should i use a billet steel flywheel or a billet aluminum....i dont know...i hear good things about both....
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Turbo Wizard

You need to run whatever flywheel is recommended for the clutch you pick.

--Admiral Aaron

post #10 of 14 Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe656
You need to run whatever flywheel is recommended for the clutch you pick.
yeah, i hear you, but like i said, if i run a spec stage 5 cluth i can use billet steel or billet aluminum....what would be better for drag racing, steel or aluminum.....

by the way snipe, hows the racing up in Houston.....i live in McAllen Tx which is about a 7hr drive south of Houston...... Texas is home to some fast mustangs..

post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2005, 10:24 PM

to see some "scary" yet awesome videos of a high HP turbo Mustang + a manual, go to www.turbochargedpower.com and watch the "street fighting" videos. There are two of them, the first is better than the second by a little

'90 coupe sold
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -Mark 8:36
"Nietzsche is dead" -God
post #12 of 14 Old 08-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Hi guys, do you all prefer automatic tranny in any turbo or just past a certain horsepower number...500, 600, 700? Thanks. I guess I have always had a thing about my cars needing to be manual (maybe I am compensating). Of course, there is the power the auto leeches as well. This gets worse at higher HP, right? Do manufactureres list the efficiency of their trannies? Am I done asking questions? Yes!
post #13 of 14 Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Turbo Wizard

I'd say a good bet for most people is if you make enough power in your turdbo car to split the stock block then chances are the auto is the best route to take and no not to prevent the block from cracking :P

--Admiral Aaron

post #14 of 14 Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Agreed. Anything past about 500 RWHP and the fun factor decreases exponentially with the standard. I'm looking at a built 4L80E + big stuff 3 or a glide with a gear vendors for my new turbo setup.

Black 1991 Notchback
Grabber Blue 2012 GT - HID's, Brembos, Nav
Red Metallic 2011 F350 Lariat CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement