Selecting a turbocharger... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

Trader Feedback: (12)
Selecting a turbocharger...

I was just curious on how somebody would go about selecting a turbocharger for a particular application....

Would details on my intended application be useful to anybody trying to help give me an idea on what size turbocharger to use? I'm going to aim for upwards of 700 rwhp, and this is going in a fox coupe. I'm planning on working with a 302 based engine, (to keep everything low-profile)....

Also is stand-alone engine management mandatory? I'm hearing different stories from different people. I'd personally like to keep using my A3M processor, and keep in mind this is a car that is primairly driven on the street....

Thanks,
-Anthony-

00' Lightning -- Basic Bolt-ons. DD For Now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hi Anthony,

What kind of rpm will you spin the engine to? How much boost? What transmission?

You can get away with using a PMS if you need to. However I highly recommend getting a FAST or BS3 system with wide-band so that you can get your tune right in.

Thanks,
Brian

87 Mustang Coupe YS-trimmed R-306 w/23lbs. of boost, Edelbrock heads, custom cam 233/241, Performer 5.0 intake, 75lb. inj., best et: [email protected]
94 Lightning
Kenne-Bell Supercharged
78 Trans Am
400 w/nitrous
post #3 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

I intend on using a hyraulic roller cam for this particular setup, so I'll probably be spinning this engine somewhere in the 6,700 rpm range....

Boost level - depending on what my machinst recommends for a compression ratio; Probably somewhere in the 8.0 to 8.3 to 1 range. I'm aiming at using a mix of around 1/2 pump gas, and half 104..... Maybe somewhere in the 18-20 range????

Transmission - I'll probably be using either a Tremec TKO-600 or a G-force 5-speed.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
dont use a manual tranny with the turbo go with an auto it will work much better, and the stock computer set up is not gonna work with that much power it will be good up to about the 550-600hp level but I could not get mine tuned right after I went over 600hp, so I went to DFI its expensive but a hell of a lot better and a lot safer as far as a good tune. I hope you plan on using an aftermarket block also, good luck and for the turbo if you want to do a single a t70 with somewhere around a .96 A/R should do the trick or it you want to do twins a set of of t04 hybreds will work also.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

.96 A/R....what do you mean by that?

FAST would probably be the route for me. From what I hear, it's somewhat user friendly to use. I need to use engine management that I can learn to tune myself, so that I won't have to depend on somebody else all the time to make any changes....

A 5-speed is going to stay in the car, and I'll probably be using an SVO block...

Last edited by Blu92GT; 07-22-2005 at 01:45 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

ttt

post #7 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue93Trunk
A 5-speed is going to stay in the car, and I'll probably be using an SVO block...
Why? I just ditched my X2C TKO for a glide and it's the best thing I've done for the car in terms of it being fun to drive.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

I just have fun doing the work on my own...

Like I said before, the engine will be 302 based (347 = 4.125'' bore, 3.25'' stroke). I'll probably be using a set of TFS R's, with a super victor EFI manifold....

I'm just clueless as to how to pick a turbocharger for an application.... I know there are alot of variables to consider, and since I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of this project, some pointers would be pretty helpful...

post #9 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I just have fun doing the work on my own...

Like I said before, the engine will be 302 based (347 = 4.125'' bore, 3.25'' stroke). I'll probably be using a set of TFS R's, with a super victor EFI manifold....
You actually get to enjoy the acceleration and how fast your car is, rather than dealing with clutch slip, broken trannies, and only having one hand on the wheel half the time so you feel like you're gonna plow off the road. Take my advice as someone who's been there, done that. Buy a modest glide or a C4 instead of sinking all your money into a tranny, I was all hardcore rah-rah 5-speed before I got into that **** and realized how scary it is on the street.

Quote:
I'm just clueless as to how to pick a turbocharger for an application.... I know there are alot of variables to consider, and since I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of this project, some pointers would be pretty helpful...
I'd run a PT76-GTS and give yourself some room to grow in the future. I don't think 700 RWHP on pump gas intercooled from a 76-GTS would be too much of a strech either.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

PT-76GTS....

Where would I find some more information on one of those, and what should I look for in manifolds/headers?

post #11 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

ttt...

post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 05:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Blue93Trunk, check out www.turbomustangs.com
Look at the knowledge base, in particular, the Turbo Bible.

Happy reading!
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2005, 08:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
yeah definately check out turbomustangs.com a ton of good info on there, and take my advice and everyone elses go with an auto whether it be a glide or C4 or TH400 or even a really built AOD, turbos just dont work good with manual trannys and you end up breaking a lot of expensive stuff, its so much better to build boost off of the trans brake and the launch with a glide is so perfect, I dont see why you wouldnt go that route, I have a 10 sec N/A 67 chevelle thats a 4 speed car I love stick cars but they simply dont work well with turbo's.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Blue93Trunk

appreciate the information guys...

post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 AM

This may help you some...

Turbo selection help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement