Turbo shoots oil. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Turbo shoots oil.

I recently got my turbo setup completed but I've noticed alot of oil being shot out of the compressor side of the turbo. It's shooting out where the pipe hooks up for your engine intake. Is it a blown seal or is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
Had similar problems. Here are some possibilities.
1) Too much oil inlet side of the turbo-what size lines are you using, and are you using oil restrictors?

2) Too small on the oil drain side of the turbo. Most people use at least -10AN line.

3) Your oil drains are not pointed straight down.

4) your oil drain line has a kink, sharp curves or has to run up hill into the oil pan. The drain is by gravity, not pressure.

5) your pvc system is not set up correctly. It is usually a good idea to vent your valve cover with a breather.

6) your turbo itself is messed up-bearings, ring seal etc.

7) your motor has alot of blowby. Comression from the engine is pressurizing your crankcase and oil drain which is forcing oil out of your turbo. A leakdown test will help here.

I spent alot of time on 1-6 AND rebuilt and balanced my turbos only to find out that:

a) There was no real problem with the turbos don't have a real oil seal per se (at least mine). They have a mini piston ring-like a compression ring. The ring is there mainly to keep the exhaust out of the intake. They have bearings. And my turbos were not that bad at all. They are perfect now but I doubt all that I did was necessary.

b) I improved the oil lines and restricted the feed but that did not solve the problem

c) I put a breather on the valve cover. All the above together seem to help but not cure. I did blow the breather out of the valve cover at one point. That was a hint....

d) the motor had lots of blowby (leakdown test) and a blown headgasket. A clue is if you are getting oil out of your dipstick.

Bottom line is check the above carefully and think everything thru. I'm sure there is other stuff to check as well.
Erich

97 Laser Red GT-248A Wingless model, Built Lincoln Mark VIII motor-Procharger D1SC, 3 core IC
2012 Black GT-Saddle, 3.73s, Brembos, Shaker1000

Last edited by Erich; 06-28-2005 at 07:56 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
2) Too small on the oil drain side of the turbo. Most people use at least -10AN line.
that line needs to be atleast 5/8"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the list of possiblities. I'll have to keep lookin
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Make sure there is nothing blocking the drain flow wherever it was plumed on the oil pan.

Thanks, Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement