Is my tune to conservative? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2005, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
Is my tune to conservative?

Well, I'm currently running 8lbs of boost with 18* timing (locked) through the intercooler. I run 92+ octane with no hint of detonation. Also, the fuel pressure is stock (non adjustable).

A week or so ago I accidentally put 87 octane in her (old habits die hard). I detected no hints of detonation whatsoever.

I'll be checking the plugs again today to make sure everything is fine with the current tune.

Anyways, with the gt40p heads and the intercooler…would you guys see a problem with running 12-14 psi on pump gas (besides lifting the heads)?

I'm also curious if you think my tune is currently to conservative. Ultimately…I know it will be on me to find out the limits…but I'd like to know a good starting point and a the areas which people start having difficulties (in regards to timing, boost, pump fuel etc.).

2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Prior Cars
1989 Mustang Notch - Twin Turbo - 500RWHP, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 1994 Mustang GT Vert - 408w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, last night while hanging out with some friends a guy with an svo (very quick) approaches and tells me he has a g-tech pro. Naturally I am very curious as to what it will run currently, so we take it out and test it.

Let me first say I know that g-tech's are not allways very accurate. He tested his out at the track and found it to be ~.2 slow in the e.t. and 2mph fast in the 1/4.

Well, after a decent burnout I let her rip. The results were a 2.0x 60' and a 1/4 time of 12.56 @ 113mph. I was somewhat pleased with the results, but was hoping for a bit quicker mph. I know that the home made turbo filters desperatley need to be cleaned which felt like it was causing a bit of bog in fourth gear. Anyways, I'll still be screwing with the timing and boost to see if I can best that time. Ultimatley I'll have to take it to the track after this summer to be able to really spit some solid numbers out. Right now the best I can hope is the g-tech is fairly accurate.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Your timing seems a bit low. So, either bump it up to about 21/22, or bump up your boost level. Obviously, do this slowly. 1-2 psi at a time, make a test run. First hint of detonation, get out of it, and back it off some. 12psi will probably be the most youll get out of it on pump, but you can certainly try for more. It's your car

92 GT
[Pro Turbo Kits T-66]
[X2C v1.0 TKO]

04 Lightning
[Bone Stock]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2005, 10:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
when you say you have your timing locked, does that mean you took out the spout connector or does my question is really stupid

when you say 18-21-22 of timing, is is retarded isnt it?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesarina
when you say you have your timing locked, does that mean you took out the spout connector or does my question is really stupid

when you say 18-21-22 of timing, is is retarded isnt it?
I pulled the spout connector, set the timing and left it out. The computer now cannot advance timing past what I set it at. You sacrifice a little bit of idle quality and part throttle drivability for some peace of mind. If you get a dyno tune or have a tuner (i.e. tweecer) then there is no need to leave the spout out.

18* of total timing is advanced. Stock timing is 10* and I believe the computer adds 16* at w.o.t. on top of that.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Based on what others have done and your 87 octane results, I would say you have alot left in your combo.

If you want the most power then up the boost 1 lb at a time until about 12 PSI. Then try to add 1° of timing until you find the onset of detonation. Just be very slow and conservative on how you increase each of these.

When you find the first onset of detonation, I would pull 2° and keep the current boost level.

Then make damn sure not to put anymore 87 in there!!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cld12pk2go
Based on what others have done and your 87 octane results, I would say you have alot left in your combo.

If you want the most power then up the boost 1 lb at a time until about 12 PSI. Then try to add 1° of timing until you find the onset of detonation. Just be very slow and conservative on how you increase each of these.

When you find the first onset of detonation, I would pull 2° and keep the current boost level.

Then make damn sure not to put anymore 87 in there!!
I hear ya on the 87!!!

I did up the boost. I now am running 10-11 psi on 92-93 octane with no signs of detonation. I'll still have to pull the plugs and check em out. As soon as I get my electric fan working again (different story) I'll try it again. If I can run 10-12psi of boost safely…and daily I'll be a happy camper.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i run 7-8 # and my timings locked at 21* with the fuel pressure at 38 on 42# injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement