Help me understand about routing a turbo... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (14)
Help me understand about routing a turbo...

I'm very new to the whole Turbocharging idea, Used to have a S-Trim on my stang but am now looking at turbocharging a 4.2L V6 I have now in my thunderbird.

First off,, I want to run a single turbo setup with low boost numbers between 7-11PSI.

Do I have to run both exhaust manifolds into the turbo? or can I simply route one manifold into it?

I figure a Single turbo off a 2.0-2.3L if its run off only one side of the engine would work would it? anything bigger and it would suffer from lots of lag.

I'm currently looking at either a stock T3/t4 turbo from a 2.3L ford or a stock GrandNational turbo,, mainly for there price and availability.

Does the internal wastegate act as a Blowoff valve?? or will I need a wastegaste and a blowoff valve also?

Excuse my ignorance please but I couldnt find this in a search.

Thanx,
Brad M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2005, 08:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
A wastegate and a blow off/bypass have nothing to do with each other.
HowStuffWorks.com has some info.

For optimum performance you'll want to route both manifolds to the turbo. Routing only one side would be a waste of good energy.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbofaq.php read this site.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Do I have to run both exhaust manifolds into the turbo? or can I simply route one manifold into it?
yes you need to run both exhaust manifolds in to 1...

i think you might find that 1 of the turbo's you are looking at by itself will be to small.......atleast look at a t3/t4 hybrid or something like a t64........a wastegate is used to dump the excess exhaust out of the manifold section on the hot side of the turbo......a bov is on the cold side going to your intake and is basically used to help ensure your turbo doesn't spin backwards and to quickly relieve the boost going to your intake when you don't need it........... hope that helps friend, hotwheels of insanemustangs.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement