Turbo problems/help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Turbo problems/help

This is
in regards to my 5 liter single turbo car. I built the motor, rebuilt the turbo, put
the car together and the thing smoked oil. By chance the oil pump locked up (a
HVolume) and we decided to change it with a regular one as we thought it
possible that the high oil p. (at least 80 at idle) was the cause of the smoking
problem. The change did the trick, no more smoke. Anybody else had this
problem? No I just have to get all the oil out of the pipes (it's clean under part
throttle but under heavy acceleration it puffs out). Also, I have Flowmasters on
the car and like a lot of people I am kinda tired of hearing them...also I heard
they rob power on turbo cars..true? I was thinking Dynomax Superturbo or Borla
mufflers. OK I'm almost done BUT I need to find a place that sells Dynabat
batteries as I have the battery in the trunk and I'm having charging problems so
I want it up front and small and lightweight as possible...anyone running one and
where can I get one? Lastly...I might swap out my Turbo Technologies IC for
another one but that means fabbing up some piping...anyone using high temp
PVC pipe (or something else) and wide clamps and diesel hose pieces? I
appreciate any responses..this site is great..thanks!

P.S. Running the bypass's hose directly to the manifold is OK, right? And there's
a hose barb on the front of the compressor itself that's blocked off..is this for
running BTMs or something? Whew..I'm done..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2002, 04:41 PM

Wow...

Anyway, it sounds like the HP oil pump was flooding the turbo with too much oil. They don't require huge amounts of oil just an adequate amount of cool, clean oil.

Turbo's also prefer as big an exhaust as possible to break the swirling of the exhaust gases as they leave the turbine. This allows for a quicker change to linear flow which results in higher exit speeds.

On mufflers, turbo's prefer a straight-through type muffler like a DynoMax Ultra-Flow or Race Bullet muffler. Reverse flow mufflers like the Flowmaster are known to reduce power on turbo cars.

Yeah some people run PVC piping and other low-buck stuff if they do a lot of mods for testing. But if you want a reliable system you'll do well to use steel as the plastic becomes brittle due to heat. But if you're just experimenting, plastic will do for that. HTH

Parker
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Do you think ditching the tailpipes would help? How about no mufflers at all? I know that sounds dumb but the turbo quiets things up obviously so it might not be too loud (with tailpipes).

GT40Capri: How much for the SVO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2002, 10:01 PM

A turbo car would want no exhaust at all if you could get away with it. There's no ram tuning to speak of with the turbine in the way unlike N/A or Supercharged cars. So it'll be whatever you can stand. Don't forget that the wastegate increases the noise considerably when it opens since it basically allows exhaust to bypass the turbo

On the SVO I've set a price of $1000 firm. The car runs good, drives ok. Looks mediocre, just stay 20ft away LOL. I bought the thing for a toy to go experiment with and tear up, but it has been replaced by the LX. I will be straight forward on this, it will never be a nice car without a total restoration and there are too many other SVO's for sale to waste time on this one unless you're just going to beat on it.

Parker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement