Any of you guys have soot spitting from your tailpipes? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Any of you guys have soot spitting from your tailpipes?

Not sure if this is related to my turbo or not, but it didn't start happening till I put on the turbo kit w/the Borla catback. When the car is cold and idling I can put my hand behind the tail pipe and some little specs of black liquid spit up on my hand. Doesn't smell like oil or gas. The top part of my rear bumper above the tail pipes will also start to turn black after awhile, doesn't get really bad for a couple days if I don't wash it though...is this something to worry about? Car seems to be driving ok. I am running pretty rich, hoping to lean things down w/the PMS pretty soon...what the heck is the stuff spitting out of my tail pipes though?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Sounds like it is just the rich condition you know you have. I have had NA cars do that before and that was all it was.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2003, 02:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
What does it feel like? I was having a similar situation when I was having oil blowby issues with my turbo.

Could never smell oil(because it wasn't all burning just shooting through the exhaust), but you could tell it was oil because it was slick.

Any smoke at start up?

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2003, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
I'll probably screw w/the PMS later on and see what I need to do to trim everything down. I searched and found that boost leaks can also do this...not sure if it's that though b/c I can only reproduce this at idle.

No smoke on startup, just that crap shooting out. I did get quite a bit of it on my hand to see what it felt like, it wasn't really slick though, not like oil...just kinda 'rubbed' away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2003, 04:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Probably just rich like Snipe said then....if it was oil, you'd know it on touch even though it wouldn't be your first thought.

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement