Turbo Supplies for 4.6L? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-12-2003, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Turbo Supplies for 4.6L?

Hi. I'm just trying to learn about all the specific pieces there are to a turbo system, and where you can buy all the parts individually? I'm considering having a customized system fabricated for a 4.6L DOHC, but I'm a Nitrous guy and I know a little about Superchargers, but practically nothing about turboes, so if someone could help me out and throw some info my way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

97 Cobra
Forged 4.6L DOHC
Vortech Supercharged (S-Trim - 10.5psi)

AIM Name: Razrback16
Homepage: http://home.columbus.rr.com/razor/home.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Turbo Wizard

Honestly would be best just buying a tuner kit and then getting the parts you want to complete that. Or is this a 4.6L in something other than what the factory originally intended it to be in?

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by snipe656
Honestly would be best just buying a tuner kit and then getting the parts you want to complete that. Or is this a 4.6L in something other than what the factory originally intended it to be in?

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

It's a '96 GT that's getting a '96-'98 Cobra motor.

My mechanic does pretty much everything when it comes to fabrication. He's built quite a few turboes before and can fabricate the headers and plumbing for the turbo...what I need to know is more specifics about the different turboes (Garrets, Greddy, difference between T-66, and T-88, etc.). As well as blow off valves, wastegates, boost controllers. The whole shpeal. My mechanic knows the differences between all these things, but he's excessively busy so I figured I would learn from some experienced people on here and look around for myself, and when I'm ready to buy the equipment run it all by my mechanic and see what he thinks. He's already checked out the engine compartment of my girlfriend's '98 Cobra so he knows what the room is like, and doesn't feel a twin turbo would be a problem, much less a big single...

Where's a good place that sells pretty much every turbo part you could think of?

Thanks.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Turbo Wizard

Any turbo kit place will sell just the parts, especially the ones you are looking for. You could get your turbo, wastegate, and BOV from any of the big turbo places such as Turbonetics, Innovative, Precision, or Limited Engineering(one I am trying for my latest turbos).

--Admiral Aaron

post #6 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Alright I just went to turbonetics' site and was looking at all their turboes, and it looks like a T4 would be what I wanted for a SINGLE TURBO application, but what about a twin setup? Would the T3 be more applicable?

Thanks.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Turbo Wizard

You are correct, the T3s would be more applicable for a twin.

--Admiral Aaron

post #8 of 24 Old 05-21-2003, 06:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is the benefit or difference of going twin vs. single? I see singles on the new 99-03 2Vs but yet I have not seen twins.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-21-2003, 06:50 PM

Benefits of a twin :

Can be made CARB exempt
Possibly can spool up quicker
Looks cooler

About it.

The problem with a twin setup is placement. Incon was having oil drain issues on the 4.6 kits and those who are finishing their kits are putting pumps on (as are the GM guys). The companies that are developing twin kits are locating the turbos in front of the motor behind the radiator and there is a lot of debate on the soundness of that location.

If you NEED to stick with emissions exempt equipment AND that company is willing to PAY for a CARB EO and you're willing to wait (they were both due out months ago) then it's worth it.

As for spooling issues, that is why I wanted a twin....I was able to find a single that can support the power I want and not have lag issues.

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

March 2004 Feature Car

post #10 of 24 Old 05-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Turbo Wizard

I think it boils down to what the kit would have to sell for and ease to make it, a single will sell for less generally speaking and it will most likely be much easier to make than a twin on those cars. The spooling times between the two are almost pointless in mentioning, if the turbos are sized right a single setup can spool just as nicely as a twin.

--Admiral Aaron

post #11 of 24 Old 05-21-2003, 11:03 PM

Yeah someone mentioned that the spooling would be a lil faster on a twin setup but yeah Aaron they do have singles that spool just as quick. snkypete you made the right choice
post #12 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 12:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally posted by LS1s LikeMyTailights
snkypete you made the right choice
You have to admit though, the Incon setup would have been badass and VERY stealthy to boot.

2000 GT
MAC O/R H, Flows, Pulleys, Pro 5.0 Shifter, MM Full Length SFC's, H&R Super Sports, Brembo Cobra R's
13.73 @ 101.44 mph - 2.114 60'
Screwed by Incon
post #13 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 08:29 AM

Yep...I had a deposit on one for 18 months...and waited and waited and waited. I was the last hold out through SHM for the Incon kit.

I personally think the companies currently making twins are going to have issues....just my $.02.

I have an Innovative GT61BB - liquid cooled, dual ball bearings....full boost by 2600....who would want it any lower? It's basically instant.

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

March 2004 Feature Car

post #14 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by snkypete
I have an Innovative GT61BB - liquid cooled, dual ball bearings....full boost by 2600....who would want it any lower? It's basically instant.
Holy shiiatz Full boost @ 2600RPMs damn! Man just thinking about having a single turbo makes my mouth water
post #15 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 11:55 AM

I think the twin kits that were or are being developed look hideous! Pipes going everywhere, they will look like a refinery or pump station.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by lou'sblk01gt
I think the twin kits that were or are being developed look hideous! Pipes going everywhere, they will look like a refinery or pump station.
That would be pretty cool, like running around with a Mad Max car?

--Admiral Aaron

post #17 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 02:41 PM

Thumbs up

hahah that would be funny ...
post #18 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LS1s LikeMyTailights
Holy shiiatz Full boost @ 2600RPMs damn! Man just thinking about having a single turbo makes my mouth water
Yeah well you didn't have to pay for it LOL LOL LOL But I would do it again in a heartbeat....definitely worth it. And I can step up to a GT66BB with a small loss of full boost but a significant increase in hp capability.....we'll see if I max out the 61 first.

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

March 2004 Feature Car

post #19 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 03:41 PM

razor, don't forget to look here... www.proturbokits.com
post #20 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by wesleythomas77
razor, don't forget to look here... www.proturbokits.com
If looking for just prices, I would not go there assuming their online pricing is right for turbos and such. If you look around there are quite a few other places just online that sell head units and such for much less and a PTE64 for example is going to be the same damn spec'd / built turbo regardless of where you buy it from.

--Admiral Aaron

post #21 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 06:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally posted by snkypete
I personally think the companies currently making twins are going to have issues....just my $.02.
I agree, I'm not a big fan of the mounting positions I've seen so far. Incon had the right idea and for the price I got directly through Incon it couldn't be beat. The rest is history. I could really use the $$ I lost for the TP kit. I'm extremely interested in the TP kit. Hopefully the addition of recent competition will bring the price down a little.

2000 GT
MAC O/R H, Flows, Pulleys, Pro 5.0 Shifter, MM Full Length SFC's, H&R Super Sports, Brembo Cobra R's
13.73 @ 101.44 mph - 2.114 60'
Screwed by Incon
post #22 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Turbo Wizard

One thing to compare about pricing is what you get for the price and what you might have to add. I forget what site I saw it on, but someone actually broke down what all you get with say a PTK kit and what all you got with a TP kit, they then added up the added costs to each to make them equal, if I remember right the TP kit still came out cheaper. Now the ITS kit I am unsure what its pricing is or how it compares, I have noticed their first couple of customers appear to be rather unhappy with their kits and at least one of them is trying to sell his. I think pricing needs to come down some regardless in order for them to bought and installed by people, a lot of times people just look at cost and not even what all they get for that price. They will sometimes be more prone to buy ABC for XXX and then be willing to buy XYZ to complete it all and be able to run it, where as they could have just bought something complete elsewhere for less than what it all adds up to. As soon as some of the 4V guys get their kits dyno'd from TP or at least some of the SN95 guys, I plan to do another GP for them since a lot of guys/gals had interest in them for this time of the year when I did the last one at the end of last year.

--Admiral Aaron

post #23 of 24 Old 05-22-2003, 11:19 PM

Im in ... Im in ... Aaron what do you think the ETA of that GP will be?
post #24 of 24 Old 05-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Turbo Wizard

Not sure, want to see if some of these cars get dyno'd soon but if it does not happen in the next couple of weeks, I will just go ahead and do the GP without that information. Check your PM's.

--Admiral Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement