Need EGR/evac ideas - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Need EGR/evac ideas

I have a blow through set up. ATI recommends that you enlarge the EGR port on your lower for blow by. I have experimented will all kids of evac methods and determined that I need to do this unless I just want to vent to atmosphere and choke on my engine fumes in the winter when the heat is on (NOT)

Anyone have a link or details about how they did their ie: what size port, what grommet, pumbing, ect. I think im gonna open it up to 1", find a grommet, eliminate the EGV valve, and plumb it to the top of my K&N via a home make oil catch can.

Ideas welcome (FWIW, I did the Southern performance valve thing but it shuts off at WOT when you need evac the most thus puching oil out of every seal)

Got 10s? [NA]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 01:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
WTF? blowby won't go past the *PCV* port on the lower, it goes out the hose on the valve cover, and into preblower air.

And of course you aint gonna get evac at WOT with the stock PCV system, hello, you're under boost, so theres no vacume!

Your post is strange, edit it or something.

95 street sleeper
post #3 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone who know more than that guy and had a blow through set up have a modified EGR/evac system?

Got 10s? [NA]

Last edited by Fordman50; 04-30-2003 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 03:29 PM

You don't know me, even if I don't have nearly 3000 freakin posts, I know a few things OK? Check out my sig, I assume you know what that means.

What exactly are you trying to do here. Your post is unclear. I assume you desire a blowby venting solution on your 95, correct? What has this got to do with the EGR?

The only affect having a blowthrough setup has on crankcase venting is that the vent hose needs to be plumbed inbetween the MAF and TB. If you can't do that then you might as well just run the hose into the fenderwell and vent it.

95 street sleeper
post #5 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vegastang
The only affect having a blowthrough setup has on crankcase venting is that the vent hose needs to be plumbed inbetween the MAF and TB. If you can't do that then you might as well just run the hose into the fenderwell and vent it.
Running a hose to the fender is still making my eyes burn. tried the SP one way valve to the plenum but of course under boost the valve closes which allows NO venting at the EGR which cause oil to blow out from everywhere. Plus the diameter on the hose from the restrictive EGR valve is too small from serious venting needed for 15-20 psi of boost. Even ATI tells you that in their book.

Got 10s? [NA]
post #6 of 18 Old 05-01-2003, 12:50 PM

If thats making your eyes burn with the PCV hooked up then you have some SERIOUS blowby problems.

Its the PCV man, not the EGR, the EGR has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and "bore out" your EGR.

Leave the PCV situation behind the intake as stock. You can add a check valve if you want back there. It doesn't matter, theres no crankcase ventilation under boost back there.

Hook a 3/8 hose from the nipple on the oil fill tube to a nipple between the MAF and TB. If this isn't enough ventilation, then you are going to have to add another hose from the other valve cover, or just run open breather and deal with the fumes.

95 street sleeper
post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2003, 12:52 PM

i reiterate, the check valve between the intake and PCV is so that boost doesn't fill up the crankcase. The ventialtions occuring from the oil intake nipple to betwwen the maf and tb. now you know why so many people run open breathers.

95 street sleeper
post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2003, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

OK I dont know why I said EGR. Yeah PCV. Your solution dosnt work for me with 16 psi. Been there done that. Its a lot of blow by BUT normal for that kind of boost. My engine is in good condition. When the check valve closes under boost, oil come out the of everywhere. Oil breathers fixes the problem BUT burns my eyes with choking fumes esp in the winter.

Procharger say to enlarge your PVC port for better venting under boost. You are wrong in saying that the oil vent is only where venting takes place. Good venting is needed with boost for propper ring seal and to decrease back pressure which increases HP too. Thats why pro cars run evac pumps.

Got 10s? [NA]

Last edited by Fordman50; 05-01-2003 at 02:13 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-01-2003, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Fordman50, you answered your own question, breathers work, but you don't like the fumes. Your other alternative is an evac pump - get to it.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 PM

Answer me this... How does the PCV work under boost? IT DOESN"T! You don't have an evac pump, you have a ****ty PCV valve, so comparison to the pros is pointless.

Under boost the PCV is NONOPERATIONAL! Under boost, breathers work just as well as the PCV system! Your only concern under boost is to let blowby vent!

This involves two choices: Breathers, or enlarging the hose or adding an additional hose.
You cannot "port" your PCV vent, because its just a nipple on the oil neck. Porting the intake PCV port will do nothing for you, I promise! Unless your blowby is over 16psi!

Get valve covers with breather holes and then run open breathers, or run breathers that go to hoses and out the bottom of the car, or buy the carb style PCV valves and plug your lower intake.

95 street sleeper
post #11 of 18 Old 05-02-2003, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Well ATI keeps insisting that I must port my lower's PVC hole then let it vent to atmosphere, but with a fat hose running right up next to the air filter.

Here is a question; Why do cars have the one way PVC valve? Why are they restricting air that might flow into the block? Im thinking vent it to atmosphere without any valve since its a restriction and I have a LOT of velting to do

Got 10s? [NA]
post #12 of 18 Old 05-02-2003, 04:02 PM

man it DOESNT vent though the PCV valve! Read that. Memorize it. Live it.

All the PCV system is for is to circulate fresh air from the intake pipe through the crankcase, out the PCV and into the upper intake. At WOT its nonoperational.

Why is there a valve there? Well lets see. If you take that valve out... 16psi will blowinto your crankcase and cause some real hell.

I offer my advice one more time: run breathers, or modify the VENTING system.

95 street sleeper
post #13 of 18 Old 05-03-2003, 01:31 AM

Oh stop the maddness!
post #14 of 18 Old 05-05-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vegastang
man it DOESNT vent though the PCV valve! Read that. Memorize it. Live it.

All the PCV system is for is to circulate fresh air from the intake pipe through the crankcase, out the PCV and into the upper intake. At WOT its nonoperational..
Dude your wrong, OK? PCV=Positive Crankcase Ventilation system!!!!! Yes the valve cover vents help too but the PCV system is the main system for evacuating normal blow by. My Q about the valve is for stock NA cars not blown.

NEXT

Got 10s? [NA]
post #15 of 18 Old 05-05-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
My Q about the valve is for stock NA cars not blown.

NEXT
What the hell are you talking about, the whole context of this discussion is BOOST and WOT!

You obviously don't know crap... which is apparent to anyone that does...

NEXT

95 street sleeper
post #16 of 18 Old 05-05-2003, 05:14 PM

by fresh air circulation i meant that the pcv is used to suck normal blowby for emissions purposes(at cruise/idle), and replace with clean air. this shouldn't be confused with the blowby that we are talking about here, that is, the kind that blows dipsticks out.

this is stupid. i'm not replying anymore. port your "EGV"

95 street sleeper
post #17 of 18 Old 05-05-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

LOL

Got 10s? [NA]
post #18 of 18 Old 05-07-2003, 12:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Fordman- I'll bet your smell is in the tune. My crankcase is vented to atmoshpere, and I was having the very same smell with my car(oh, did I mention it was drinking gas, gas was polluting the oil, and it idled like it had a huge cam in it). I recently bought a tweecer, and began with the maf tranfer. I had to lean the curve almost by half to get the computer to take over. To make a long story short, now I have the maf correct, my computer is functioning like it should, the smell is gone, stock idle and drivability are back and I just checked my mpg. 19 with the egr system off. You can't beat that.
If I'm not mistaken you get your car tuned by a pro. I'll bet if you aren't running an fmu your car is very rich in normal driving situations.
Just a thought.

Jerry K- 92 GT 14psi p1sc with 2core intercooler,75mm mam,42lbers, 65 tb, explorer u/l, gt40 irons, stage 1 cam with 1.7rr, shorties, xpipe, 2 1/2 exits, msd 6al ignition with msd coil, Tweecer R/T, c springs up front, Steeda 5-link rear, strut brace, k-brace, polys all through, 5lug and rear disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement