Building a 351W motor need some help. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Building a 351W motor need some help.

Hello,

I am ready to put some power to my 1988 Mustnag GT project car. I Plan on using a 351 Windsor. I am have a huge problem finding someone to talk to. here's bascially what i would like to do.

I want to TUrbocharge it.

I was looking at the Mustang Outlaw Twin Turbo System (87-93)
SKU: CT-MST-OL-TT-TK Kit from www.turbodepot.com

I want to build a LOW compression motor around this kit.

Here's where i am lost. Would a 351 windsor be a smart choice?

What Heads and cam would you recommend?
What Rods/rod bolts do you recommend?
What crank Should I use?
Is it possible to find a brand new 351W block?

I am looking to stroke the 351W to a 377, would that be a good choice?

Sorry for all the questions but to simplify it, What setup would you reommend for a Turbo motor that will be driven on the street and and a goal of 700 RWHP on race gas? I want to boost around 15-20 psi is this possible?

thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-27-2003, 02:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Well, since no one else is jumping in and I am doing absolutely nothing right now I'll say what I "think". Just my opinion.
First you can buy new blocks. I am told they are weaker than the old 69-70 something blocks. The new ones, Lightning, do have provisions for roller cams, I think. As for you powergoal, I'm sure you could split that block in half with just twin turbos and 351 cu in. 700 hp isn't that hard to achieve with twin turbos and a few cubes. I do think 700 on a 351 can be a bit risky without some addition strenghth items such as hardblok and maybe a girdle, which is still in debate. Scat is making some great, cheap, and strong stuff for the Windsors. Give them a look over. Cylinder heads, well how much money you got? Seems all the companies are making some great off the shelf stuff, AFR and Edelbrock seem to be what everyone is running. I don't think you would need race gas with 700hp, but it would be good insurance. Maybe a mix of 91-93 and race gas. I'm curious to see what others have to say about this.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-03-2003, 11:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would not recommend using a 351w based model for your turbo system.

I built a 377 stroker motor myself for my 1993 Cobra. I extensively dynod tested it over 100 times and I can tell you this. These motors are not made to run in the high RPMs.

351w based engines are basically truck motors designed to get massive amounts of torque, for their size, at small rpms.

My rwhp and rwtorue dropped significantly around 5600 rpms. Now, this could be my setup for the motor, but at the time when I did this, mid 1990's, there where not many kits that allowed high RPM 351w based motors.

If you still plan to go along with this idea, you will want to look into strengthing the bottom end a lot.

Talk with some conversion outfitters and you will see most turbo charged cars use a stroker 302 based engine. This assumes you need to stroke it all.

Hope this helps,

Nocode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement