can turbo's pass emissions? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
can turbo's pass emissions?

those in emission tested area's, can you get your car to pass emissions with a turbo and no cats?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2003, 12:02 AM

When I checked the tail pipe emissions on the dyno at my shop, it was running about 1% CO & 100 ppm HC, which is passing. But it will fail the visual inspection because of no cats or smog pump. So if they only check the tail pipe emissions, then your answer is yes.
Hope this helps, Bill

post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2003, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

it helps and thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 02:17 AM

Twin Turbos can pass emmissions....i beleive (correct me if im wrong) that only twins can get a CARB # in california which just happens to have the toughest emmission laws in the US
post #5 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

well, I went through emissions today with no turbo, because the DMV told me that I could do it now, even though I'm not due until Oct. When I got there, they checked the car ahead of me, but when it came my turn, they just drove my car through and gave me a sheet that said pass... something in my gut is telling me that if I tell them there could be a 50 dollar tip to just get me pass form, then it might be less of a headache than some ghetto set-up just to pass emissions.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 AM

Incon is the only turbo kit that has a CARB exemption. The cast manifold design keeps the downtubes and cats in exactly the same location as stock.

I believe all other designs lengthen the piping and cool down the exhaust gases too much to pass NOx standards, at least in theory. The turbos by themselves should not affect emissions beyond the cat temperature, but the related supportive systems might- things like larger injectors, cam changes, changed timing curves, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2003, 02:40 PM

thats what i thought, only incon had carb approval, however, incon is also where??? ..... sucks. .... i wanted one of their kits for my ws6.

Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement