OK. I want to build my own turbo kit. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2003, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
OK. I want to build my own turbo kit.

Hey:

I've got a chance to pick up a 4 cylinder mustang for a good price. Its a 90 Mass Air Car.

I've been browsing around the web a lot and it seems like everyone that does this sort of thing just puts in a TC or SVO engine. I don't want to do that.

I figure, 5.0s are mass air cars, so why shouldn't I just be able to build my own turbo kit and maybe get a chip burned or get a standalone or something.

THe problem is I'm sort of turbo ignorant.

It looks like 2.3 turbo manifolds intake/exhaust are fairly easy to come by (though I could definitely use a recommendation on a turbo). Plumbing looks like it would have to be sort of fabbed but I have found some places that can probably sell me the stuff I need.

What I am really interested in are the nitty gritty turbo parts, and what is the best place to get them. Wastegates, boost controllers, that sort of thing. Does anyone have a sort of "parts list" for adding a turbo to a non-turbo car? Maybe even a "parts list" for an existing commercial turbo kit?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-25-2003, 04:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
As for your first question, you could throw together your own kit but power and reliability would be questionable. You would have alot of bening and welding to do just to make your piping, not to mention the headers and collectors to the turbo itself. Parts you would need would be a set of headers to cut on so that you could get them in facing forward, then you'd need to fab up a crossover pipe to which ever side you were going to mount the turbo on. Then from there the intercooler piping and most likely a blow throgh maf. Bigger injectors, fuel pump, and fuel pressure reg.. You would also want to buy an intercooler from some place which would run anywhere from $600-$1000 by its self.

As for your second question: The HP Performance kit comes with everything you need to do a turbo. Headers, crossover, wastegate, Blow-off valve, injectors, a bigger maf, fuel pump etc. All the intercooler piping, intercooler and everything is JetHot Coated including the exhaust housing of the turbo. They can also pretty much get you what ever turbo you want for your setup. Base kit has a 60mm and the most popular upgrade is a T-66.

Chris
99 Procharged Cobra sold
95 Cobra single turbo. [email protected] stock block.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 01:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I just built together my complete system for $400- 2 turbos- non intercooled-

I did a design mockup on the bends using flexable air duct from HOME DEPOT. Then I brought the pieces I mocked up to a muffler shop and had them bend it exact.

I spent around $10 per bend on 2.5" MILD STEEL.

$5 a bend on 2"- mild steel, used for "intercooler" piping.

I had the muffler shop do my complete exhaust(downpipes) for $150-

Dont worry if it seems impossible, it aint, I thought I was never going to have the car TURBOCHARGED!
GOODLUCK!
PETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 02:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The reason people put SVO and TC engines in is because you are looking at the complete package. The internals of the engines are different and therefore stronger. The stock 4 cylinder isn't as strong as a Turbocharged one. I think The TC and SVO ones have forged pistons and other better parts. I'm not a SVO expert. I honestly think you would be creating far more work for yourself than just finding a complete engine and computer harness for you mustang. Keep in mind, the factory computers are quite finiky(sp?) when doing major stuff like this, esp. the speed density stuff. I'm told it likes changes far less than the Mass air computers. Your trying to make Lemonade out of a rotten orange.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2003, 03:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
What's the correct wiring harness for a 2.3L Turbo Coupe engine going into an 84 v6 Mustang? Can strip harness out completely and swap for anything. I need to know if my dash harness is compatible with the recommended harness. If not, what dash computer, fuel inj, etc will I need?

Also, the air box on the TC car I got the motor out of had wires going into it and some sort of flap as if to control airflow. Is all this needed? Is there a mass air in this thing? Or am I just over examining it?

Can I use anythingout of TC as far as wiring harnesses? Need help fast! Thanks, "The Pimp"

- 90 Red LX Hatch, 408 with 550 HP Tubular K Member Tubular A's, Weighs in @ About 2850

- 88 Red LX Coupe 347, Daily Driver, 6.70 @ 107 MPH w/ 150 Shot,[email protected] MPH ALL MOTOR RW Dyno: Motor: 329/344 Nitrous: 455/511

12 Second Fun Ford Weekend True Street winner Bristol, TN 08/02/2003 (all motor)

2004 NMRA World Finals 10 second 3 run winner 10.71 @129 ,[email protected],[email protected] wild street.

THE COMPETITION!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2003, 08:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (-1)
built my own turbo kit here also!!! goto turbomustangs.com or turbofords.org...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2003, 08:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Dude... Its totally doable. Look on ebay and get yourself a T3, and an "E6" turbo 2.3 exhaust manifold. The intake manifold you have now will be fine. The **only** difference between the SVO/TC internals and the NA 2.3 internals are forged pistons and slightly better rods. No, you won't be able to blow over 25psi as I do in my TC, but 10 will be fine. You have the dual plug head, but no big deal, the E6 manifold will still fit. ALL 2.3 blocks at least have a boss on the side of the block for the oil return line. MOST 2.3's already have it tapped. The NA 2.3's just have a plug in it. You will need the oil return line from an SVO or TC to use it. As far as electronics, if you have a 90 LX, I'm nearly certain that you can repin your EEC harness and just bolt in a turbo 2.3 computer. The PE is the most desirable and go for about $150 on ebay, but an LA3 or LA2 will work **just** fine, and can be had for $50 on ebay. Of course, if you run into one of these cars at the junk yard, you can gank all the parts for cheap. By the way, I'm nearly certain you can repin the connector on 2.3 stangs until 91. After that, you will need to get the entire harness from the TC and lay it in alongside the stock harness. If, and ONLY if you are very serious about doing this, PM me and I'll get you more info about the repinning of the EEC harness. You will be wasting my precious time if you aren't serious though. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement