ProTurboKits...Anyone use them before? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-07-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question ProTurboKits...Anyone use them before?

Need some help from you guys!! I have been looking around for a single turbo kit for my stock '92 engine on an '87 mustang. But I run into a lot of deadends with these turbo companies, either they can't follow up on their promises or their website are down or they dissapear like TDC. So I spoke with ProTurboKits, and they gave me a great price for T-60-1 with all the goodies for about $2800 and promise 21 day delivery. Has anyone done business before with them, and if so were you happy with your results?! Let's hear what everyone has to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
....might want to try a search, i see several threads on this page with ptk in the title at just a glance...not sure if they contain the info you need though...just a thought

post #3 of 18 Old 04-07-2003, 09:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I've dealt with PTK.

go to this thread on turbomustangs.com: Click Here

And you'll see a few things on PTK.

My dealings are recorded in this thread: Click Here

My general dealings was overall good. It was frustrating at times (shipping mixups), but all in all, I got my product before the promised date. The quality of the kit seems to be good, welds look very nice, fit seems to be good so far. I haven't had the kit installed long enough, or enough cash to really push it to the limit to give a full opinion yet. I'm still chasing down some exhaust leaks, so I'll keep the above thread updated and let everyone know how things work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-08-2003, 01:30 AM

I recently installed a PTK T66 kit on my 95GT. It looks like a very nice kit, high quality. I'm still working on some tuning issues with my car, so no numbers yet. I'm very happy with the kit itself. I was just up at Pro Turbo the other day. They have a lot of their stuff in stock on hand. The folks that I have dealt with over at PTK are a good group of guys. Give Gregg a call and he can answer any questions that you have about the kit. The only disappointment that I had about the kit was that I had to yank my air pump off. I wasn't using it anyway, but it was nice to have the option if a had a problem with my inspection. I would recommend PTK and their kit to anyone. It's also nice to see that their customer service doesn't stop after the money changes hands. I say go for it.

Mike

Mike Hedgepeth
95GT with 347 stroker, PTK single T-66 turbo kit, Greddy Profec B boost controller, 3.08's, T-56, AFR 185cc heads, Holley Systemax II intake, FTI custom turbo cam, Pro M 80, 75mm TB, 1.6 RR, Dr Gas X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback, 55 lb inj/dual 255 lph inline pumps with fuel system, Maximum Motorsports suspension, underdrive pulleys, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Tweecer RT, Romac balancer, aluminum driveshaft, Bullitt brakes, Torque thrust II's,
372.5 rwhp/ 381.9 rwtq N/A
1/4 [email protected]

Turbo numbers so far:
12 lbs bleeding down to 9 lbs of boost 517 rwhp/576 rwtq.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-08-2003, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback, it really is necessary to hear from others about their dealings with PTK. It is a toss up between them and Brad from totalperformance, especially with the price difference between the two. I'll let you guys know who I chose in the near future. Thanks for all the help.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Turbo Wizard

Is Brad making a Fox kit? I know he makes a SN95 kit and is in the process of designing/building a twin Fox kit(on my car), but thought he had no singles for the Fox cars as of yet, although really it probably would only take minor mods to his SN95 kit to make a Fox. I'd give TTI a call, you would be hard pressed to find a bad thing said about their product and customer support. They will be more expensive though since they use stainless steel for one. I am surprised you were looking into TDC, they never made a single turbo Fox kit(just twins) and if you have interest in twins then I would look into ITS as well(they have a GP going on now in the GP section of the Corral). I know of a small company in the Chicago area making low mount turbo kits for $3495 retail, so more money, BUT they come with two stainless steel headers(down to the flanges), stainless downpipe, stainless crossover, even stainless clamps are used, fmu, fuel pump, ic, turbo, oil return pump, etc. The guy(Ivan) doing these kits has years of experience with turbos and has tried to use the best of parts for these kits, he has two sitting on the shelf now.

Keep in mind when you price out kits that you also better get the mild steel ones coated, the stainless do not require the coating, coating helps prevent cracking and allows the things to last longer(again more so when mild, not when stainless). I would also keep in mind what kits require you to get rid of certain parts and which do not. The Fox PTK kits I have seen required you to get rid of the passenger side bumper support(sucks if in a wreck), required the smog pump to be tossed, required the charcoal canister to be tossed, and the sway bar could not be mounted(unless somehow shimmed up or spaced out).

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 02:18 AM

the pasenger side bumper suport is NOT removed.. its replaced with a part that is meant to crush on impact..

it is still efective in protecting the car in a colision.

Tossing the charcol and smog pump mean nothing in this case because not a single turbo kit out there that is a single is smog leagal and never will be because it removes the pup cats..

So any place that removeing the smog pump would be noticed IE that does visual inspections no single turbo kit will pass PERIOD even if the smog is hooked up and working since the front cats are gone.

as for power potential

I made 1080 flywheel horses with the ptk street kit with a t-76
post #8 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Turbo Wizard

Sigh, we have been through this how many times and how many other people have said in their regions it is legal just as long as the equipment is there? Your definition of "smog legal" is confused with CARB, not all regions of the US require CARB. That is why aftermarket H-pipes are legal in a lot of regions, you know the pipes that just have two cats on them instead of four. Now in Cali those h-pipes are technically illegal, but not in all other places. Fact remains you will pass without troubles in some regions of this country if you retain the smog pump and it is functioning over other areas where if you do not have it you are SOL. Heck even in a region that requires all four cats to be there, you have a MUCH better chance of them over looking that part over the fact that the smog pump and charcoal canister are completely missing off the car. Then there is the issue of some areas the tickets you get for no smog pump are much higher than no cats, I have gotten more no cats(none at all) tickets than I could count in Texas and they were all classified as defective exhaust(like $75 usually) then the one time I got one for the smog pump(which was on the car with a belt on it, just no lines on it) it was a few hundred dollars from a State Trooper.

I have seen what goes in place of the bumper support and no one can say it is not more flimbsy(sp?) than the real thing and this in cars that are known it get in a lot of wrecks, hense why insurance rates on them have always been so high. It will crush, but it ain't going to absord then crush like a factory piece would, which means same impact on that piece vs stock, will do far more damage to the car. I actually thought this was a design that was going to be done away with or already has, which is why I said the kits I have seen had it, basically just presenting something for the customer to check into if it is even a concern for them.

Not sure why you feel the need to state how much power you made with your kit. Most would know unless a complete idiot designed the kit, that it is more the turbo, IC efficency and motor combo/tune that determine max power to be made. Half the time the turbo could be sitting on some PVC and still make great power(yes PVC is an exageration). You state that number, but you leave out all the other things you have mentioned like the pistons being mirrors of the combustion chambers on the heads, the huge heads and so on, your car makes great power because you have a very well laid out setup, I dare say a TTI Race kit with the same turbo and same upgrade intercooler would make rather similar power numbers or a Turbolocity kit or a Cartech Outlaw kit and so on.

BTW, if you cut out something it is REMOVED, I just failed to mention the little metal piece is welded back in, I just ASSumed someone would realize that something goes in its place, I was just pointed out it will be weaker than how the factory designed the car to be. Like I said prior, I was just pointed out how the ones I saw in person were, so he would have things to question if he had concerns and decided on that company over the other. I did point out what I have seen from the other company he is considering, that being that I think they do not even make a Fox kit. Total Performance is building a twin kit presently, but not even sure if a single is in the works or not, probably would take a customer wanting a single and willing to part with their car for a month or so for it to be designed on.

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 11:36 AM

it dosn't matter if u have 4 or 1 as long as it passes, no law states that here. here in pa if your out of the city limits, run what u want. no emissions

Last edited by got twins; 04-10-2003 at 12:36 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 12:43 PM

Smog and CARB are completely different things.

As for cats, it is illegal to remove a functioning catalytic converter with under 50k miles NO MATTER WHAT....period. But as for it needing 4, 2, 1, none - that comes down to your local county or township laws. This topic is beat about as much as putting 315's on 9" rims.....there is a big difference between smog legal and CARB approved.

You CAN get a Fox-3 single, with two cats, to pass smog. Smog is just a visual check and a sniffer. If you can pass, you pass. If you throw an X/Y pipe on that is CARB approved you will pass the visual.... What you cannot do is get a EEC-V with a single to pass CARB. Doesn't matter anyway as the cost for CARB isn't cheap and most small turbo companies cannot make that investment.

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT ~

:

Tuned by ChrisSK @

November 2003 Feature Car

March 2004 Feature Car

2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
2004 SeaDoo RXP : 2003 Yamaha Grizzly
post #11 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by snkypete
As for cats, it is illegal to remove a functioning catalytic converter with under 50k miles NO MATTER WHAT....period
Isn't it 50k miles or 5 years?

--Admiral Aaron

post #12 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 01:41 PM

i thougt it was 100k or pluged up u can remove them.

Last edited by got twins; 04-10-2003 at 01:44 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Turbo Wizard

haha ... who knows maybe it is

--Admiral Aaron

post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 PM

or run some turbo blue (leaded) that will plug them up
post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 06:36 PM

either way my point is the same....

if you are in a area where you will pass your smog without the pup cats.. then they will pass it without the pump as long as you can pass a tailpipe sniffer.

places that require the smog for the visual I gaurentee you wont pass any single turbo stang even with the smog there.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by twinturbosaleen
either way my point is the same....

if you are in a area where you will pass your smog without the pup cats.. then they will pass it without the pump as long as you can pass a tailpipe sniffer.

places that require the smog for the visual I gaurentee you wont pass any single turbo stang even with the smog there.
See I know you are wrong in that assumption. Just last year(or maybe the year before) a buddy of mine here in town put a T72 Cartech SS kit on his car. This is a area that requires a visual and the sniffer as well. He took the car to one of those "Mr Sticker" type places, did not know someone there(meaning no "buddy advantage" that we all try to have), they passed the car, but it lacked the "pup cats" for obvious reasons but did have the smog pump and all other emissions controls on the car. He then failed the sniffer part, I believe it was a bad EGR, what ever it was they diagnosed it and repaired it at some huge fee(common to those places for the obvious reason of they make money off hopeful repairs). That is just one example I know from actually being there, I know others online have chimed in with similar examples where they had everything smog related and on a single turbo car and in areas that did visuals and sniffers. Another example actually is my Thunderbird, it lacks the "pup cats" and has been to 3 inspections like that, it has ALWAYS passed the visual with just that one joining cat under it, but has ALWAYS failed the sniffer part of the state inspection, its exhaust is obvious when you look at it "homemade" and not factory so they can't be getting confused or anything.

I'd think any place that does sniffers, does visuals, visuals are usually always there.

Anyway, 87lxproject if the smog is a mute point in your area then no worries, if you think it might matter then check into it with multiple sources to see if it is and check into the 2-4 cat thing as well, because if that is a issue for you then ITS is the only kit out there than will let you keep 4 cats. Only state I have ever heard of with a problem with 2 cats on a Fox is Cali, but I am sure there are other places, I just know Cali because my Saleen came from there and has 2 cats on it(prior owner was griping about the state on that issue).

--Admiral Aaron

Last edited by snipe656; 04-10-2003 at 07:57 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 05:55 AM

if you pass the sniffer what is the point of the visual?? seams like it is missing the point eh??
post #18 of 18 Old 04-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by BoOsTnUp!
if you pass the sniffer what is the point of the visual?? seams like it is missing the point eh??
I ask that same damn question every year, to me all that should matter is the passing the sniffer part and who cares what is used to get there, but for what ever reason the law just don't see it the way I do.

--Admiral Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement