Sorry, another ? on this TTI kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Sorry, another ? on this TTI kit

Do waste gates make any noise when under boost? I'm getting a sort of hard fluttering sound under boost, it doesn't sound like detonation, more like 2 thin peices of metal clapping up against each other (almost like a loud lifter clap or exhaust leak)...I double checked all the exhaust links and didn't find any leaks. This noise comes on when I start to hit around 5+ lbs of boost under heavy load...if I gradually take boost up it's there, just not as loud. Someone told me the waste gate could be making noise?? I'm hoping this isn't something bad, I've never had a turbo before though so I'm pretty clueless on this one.

If it relates, I am getting oil blown out of my dipstick, and valve cover I'm still running stock crankcase ventilation lines...I'm on my way to get a breather cap to help this out, not sure if it's of any relation to the noise though. WHat about the PCV lines in the back of the intake, I've heard mentions of deleting/capping these off??...any comment? Is just running a breather neck ok?

Lastly, my car is hard to start when it's warm, ever encounter this?? This wasn't happening till the kit went on...I know that there is oild being thrown into the intake tract via the vaccum line that runs from the valve cover to the intake tract, is it possible that there is excess amount and causing a hard warm up start for the car? When the car is cold it sparks right up w/no probems.

Any help or comments are appreciated...thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 03-21-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-22-2003, 02:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
have you put the car on an wideband air/fuel monitor? its very hard to tell the differences in sound over a computer. i couldnt hear my wastegate on my TTI kit. it was a deltagate mark 4.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-22-2003, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

No not yet, I'm going to call Murillo Motorsports tommorrow to schedule a dynotune as soon as I can. I'm quite certain it's not detonation...or atleast I'm not inclined to believe it, are you thinking I may be leaning out? I checked the plugs on the driver side, all look EXTREMELY well, I asked if 35 psi was a bit low for fuel pressure, the plugs looked so good I'm thinking about turning it up a bit just to be abit more safe. Even 7 and 8 looked really great...I figure if any cylinders were to detonate or show negative effects it would be those, right? I'm going to pull off the down pipe and get to the pass. side plugs tommorrow...that's the side closest to all the turbo material...is there any reason why that side might be taking damage while the other plugs (on driver side) look almost perfect? I'm hoping the plugs on that side look as good as the driver side plugs. Thanks for the reply man.

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-23-2003, 10:05 AM

I wonder if your exhaust bypass is opening early? That is easy to check if you have an air compressor and a pressure regulator.

Rig a line from the regulator to the boost reference line on the bypass. Turn the regulator all the way to zero. Slowly turn the air pressure up, observing the valve and seeing how much air pressure it takes to start opening the valve.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-23-2003, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply, that has me thinking now...I'll see what I can do to check that out. What exactly is the exh. bypass and what is it's function?

Update on the crank case pressure issue, I just ran a breather cap on my vc and capped off the nipple on the inlet side of the turbo and the nipple on the filler neck, kept the pcv on the lower intake as is (connected) and no more issues...seems to working ok for me so far.

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."
post #6 of 17 Old 03-23-2003, 12:13 PM

Assuming you have the one-way check valve in the PCV (you DO, don't you?) you may be hearing the common "choo" sound of the turbines slowing when you lift or back out of the throttle.

Sometimes when in the right rpm range you may hear this sound alternate between turbos, common to the Incon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

89 GT conv., Incon 800 turbo
post #7 of 17 Old 03-23-2003, 01:35 PM

Exhaust bypass=wastegate

You should have a vacuum line running from the turbo to the wastegate. I call it the signal line. As the boost build, the diaphram in the wastegate starts to open. If you have a weak spring, or the gate isn't set correctly, the bypass can open earlier than you want. It makes what I call a "farting" sound. The problem with mechnical wastegates is that they open gradually, so you don't have precise boost control. I have heard (never seen) of electric controllers that are more precise.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-23-2003, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I've heard of a one way check valve being added w/the PCV...I just left the thing alone in addition to what I mentioned above, just think of the PCV in the back of the intake running as it would in stock config, nothing added, and nothing capped off there. Seems to be working much better for me.

Ok, so you were talking about the wastegate. I do have a 3-5# spring in there, I talked to the guy that sold me the kit and that's supposedly the weekest one for the Tial's that he could find...Can I just tighten the thing down more (if it can be) and see if that helps?...or should I loosen it some? If it's opening early than would the vavle constantly flutter back and forth causing this loud sounding exhaust leak?? Another thing I was wondering...the chambered mufflers I'm running now shouldn't be making any funny sounds like this?? Thanks y'all.

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 03-23-2003 at 04:02 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Turbo Wizard

Trader Feedback: (1)
Re: Sorry, another ? on this TTI kit

Quote:
Originally posted by SN95LEEN
Lastly, my car is hard to start when it's warm, ever encounter this?? This wasn't happening till the kit went on...I know that there is oild being thrown into the intake tract via the vaccum line that runs from the valve cover to the intake tract, is it possible that there is excess amount and causing a hard warm up start for the car? When the car is cold it sparks right up w/no probems.
Starter maybe getting hot and dragging or is it a different hard to start when it's warm symptom?

--Admiral Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Snipe it could be that actually, since the co pipe and dp run pretty close to it, I had LT headers on b4 and they were pretty close to though, never had a problem then.

It's strictly when the car is warm, but the starting is not slow or lagging, same speed and sound...I just wind up having to give it gas on start up to get it to fire up. I checked all the plugs and they look fine, maybe a bit on the rich side, but that's what I want till I get it tuned...maybe when that's done things will be working a bit better?

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."
post #11 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Turbo Wizard

Oh, then did you have those 42s on it before the install? Might just be that, you still lack a custom chip or a piggy back, correct?

Like the Avatar, saw some stickers like that once for sale in a Summit catalog.

--Admiral Aaron

post #12 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks...I actually chopped that one up in a few minutes, there's a much better photo shop version of it I'm using now. My brother made some stickers of the same thing (small, probably 3 in. X 3 in), I don't really want to put one on the car though...I love having a turbo but I don't want people thinking I'm trying to flaunt it, they are definitely unique though.

The 42's went on at the same time the turbo was in...I had 24#ers and was N/A before, did the turbo install and went w/the 42#ers. No tuning or chip yet, I was going to get that taken care of this Thurs. but Murillo wants $600, some freinds got theirs down at Houston Performance for around $350 - $400, which is about what I had budgeted for a dyno tuned chip. Not really disputing the price, many people have said Murillo is the man w/turbo apps, so I'll just wait a a bit more, that's all. I'll be posting dyno #'s and pics afterwards...thanks for your help man.

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 03-24-2003 at 03:03 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Turbo Wizard

Did Houston Performance do a chip on a turbo car? I had someone ask me about them for doing a turbo mod car the other day, just did not seem like the best option for a turbo mod car to me since I figured they probably had next to no experience doing chips for that rare of a beast.

--Admiral Aaron

post #14 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Man that's the thing, personally I don't know if they've done one for a turbo app. The freinds I know have centrifugals on their cars and have had great luck at HP...one of them at the time was also building a turbo'd 89 and he mentioned that Steve had said (I know, 'he said she said' type thing) that they did have a fox turbo coupe they've tuned out before. I was just throwing their prices out there as a comparison, I'm not sure if I would be willing to take them as my 1st choice either, of course, nothing against HP.

BTW, off topic, but I called and talked to Murillo today (b4 it was via email)...awesome dude. He talked my ear off and thoroughly explained his answers to all my quesitons...very patient and nice guy to talk too.

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."

Last edited by SN95LEEN; 03-24-2003 at 05:56 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
BTW, off topic, but I called and talked to Murillo today (b4 it was via email)...awesome dude. He talked my ear off and thoroughly explained his answers to all my quesitons...very patient and nice guy to talk too.
Yeah he is, I used to use him years ago when Texas Jam first came about. A good friend of mine used to race against him at a lot of the FFW events back then and they too became good friends.

I live in Houston and would go with him over Houston Performance, not to bad mouth that shop since I have never dealt with them, but to compliment Murillo in that I would be willing to tow the car to him before them.

--Admiral Aaron

post #16 of 17 Old 03-24-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I've had a few friends deal w/Houston Performance like I mentioned above. Hayes (usename: Hayes97Cobra) has one of their built shortblocks...they tuned his on a conservative tune to around 460+ to the wheels, TQ was around the 400's...but that's just the nature of the mods. He praises they're shop quite a bit, but I'm sure when you spend 7+ close to 8K (blower, motor, other goodies) at they're shop they're going to treat you pretty well. One of my good freinds Jason didn't like 'em at all...said they treated him like he was stupid and he swears they're d*cks. I'll be headin' home after a couple weeks to put on this

Borla cat-back...what kinda gains have you seen from going from a chambered muffler to straight through?...I've heard around 15 - 20 at the wheels, but more importantly faster and strong spool-up...any comment?

Quote:
"...your sig sucks..."
post #17 of 17 Old 03-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Turbo Wizard

Quote:
Borla cat-back...what kinda gains have you seen from going from a chambered muffler to straight through?...I've heard around 15 - 20 at the wheels, but more importantly faster and strong spool-up...any comment?
I have heard of more than that at some times. I have a buddy who put Borla XR-1(?) mufflers on his turbo car and actually lost some power. It should help the spool-up, I have never done a comparisons from one to the other though. Actually, most of the turbo cars we did years back had flowmasters on them of all things. Clement made a interesting comment when he went from flowmasters to straight thrus with his TTI kit, I believe he said the boost would peak and be steady but when he swapped to straight thrus he would see either some gains or drop offs, I forget which it was(it was not a bad thing) and perhaps he will see this and chime in.

--Admiral Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement