I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to turbos, got an exhaust question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Question I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to turbos, got an exhaust question.

How would one go about tieing a turbo powered cars exhaust into sidepipes? The reason I'm asking is because my next project is going to be an AC replica and I'd really like to put a single turbo 302 in it.

Thanks
Mike

now voters are starting to wake up and hope there is no change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-22-2003, 10:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
i'd think you'd just need to Y out the exhaust from the single turbo's downpipe and go down to the sidepipes...

Ralph - Armchair politician: I may not be a market analyst, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
91 GT - SOLD missed!
02 ZX-6E - SOLD
04 Acura TL - trans cooler
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2003, 01:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
My buddy is doing the same project. He's building a Factory Five Racing AC Cobra with a GT40 motor and a single 62-1 turbo. It's almost finished too. It's the same power pland as my car so I've been helping him out.

Here's how we did it.

The shorty headers are turned forward and down (as per Factory Five's instructions), then we constructed a "Y" pipe from the headers to the turbo which is mounted front and center with the compressor inlet facing the passenger side and the downpipe facing the driver side. The down pipe comes out of the turbo and turns down where we constructed another "Y" and ran one pipe out the driver side into the side pipe, and the other circled back under the turbo and over to the passenger side pipe.

If that makes any sense. Anyway, it is possible.

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Why not exhaust to only one side pipe? The Cobra pipes I've seen are large diameter and are probably large enough to support the entire exhaust load. That approach would make the project a whole lot easier, lighter, and avoid a lot of unwanted underheat heat from the y and crossover pipe.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2003, 01:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
The extra "Y" is no big deal really. There isn't enough there to siginificantly increase under hood heat. Not to a noticable point anyway. Also, I don't know if you've seen show cars with non-functional sidepipes, but it considerably decreases value and oppinion. One of the lamest things I've seen was while standing next to a pretty badass 'vette with sidepipes and upon startup the only roaring of exhaust was coming from the hidden rear exit tailpipe. I chuckled and walked away.

We looked at this as if it wasn't even an option to run the downpipe to just one sidepipe.

The sidepipes are 4", so yes, they would flow plenty to just run it through one, but come on.

05 GT
85 ASC McLaren Capri
79 Pace Car
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2003, 05:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you're that worried about esthetics, do it right- get 2 turbos on that sukka... and then run duals!

FWIW, I run side exit exhausts on my Incon-charged Cobra with Dynomax Ultraflows, it looks a lot like the Cobra R- works very well but definately is not stealthy. Keep in mind that it is very important to use only mandrel bent pipe and good straight-through mufflers.

Last edited by 2turboz; 03-24-2003 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2003, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Any chance I could get some pics of your friends set-up 19COBRA93?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement