what turbo on stock motor? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
what turbo on stock motor?

i have a 94 gt and i'm looking into putting a turbo on the stock motor. all the car has is a k&n and american thunder mufflers(this is the way i bought it.) anyway, i was looking into a cheap/jy single turbo setup and was wondering what turbo you guys would reccomend that i could find at a junkyard. also, how much extra stuff(fuel system, pistons, etc.) would i have to do to get the motor ready for 8-10 lbs. of boost? i want to do all this as cheap as possible because i'm on a pretty tight budget. thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2003, 08:06 AM

Cartech and ITS offer systems for stock applications. I bought my Cartech system used, so they are available. I built most of my current set up with used parts. I figure with the turbo kit, short block, heads, intake, cam, clutch, and fuel components included, I have about $5000 in the car. For the type of power it is capable of, that's fairly cheap. Hell, I only paid six for the car.

Mike Smith
1990 LX Coupe 5.0 5 speed w/ 2000 Exploder GT-40 engine, P heads, mystery cam (F cam per previous owner) 3.73, and not much else. In the parts pile - UPR tubular K member, CC plates. Future plans - Megasquirt & On3 turbo system.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2003, 12:22 PM

Re: what turbo on stock motor?

Quote:
Originally posted by rintin
i have a 94 gt and i'm looking into putting a turbo on the stock motor. ....... anyway, i was looking into a cheap/jy single turbo setup and was wondering what turbo you guys would reccomend that i could find at a junkyard.
Unfortunately, you're not going to find a turbo that will support any good boost or power for your V8 powered car. The turbos you'll find are on 4 cylinder cars that are really only good for 4 cylinder motors. Now, if you were to get 2 of those turbos, so each one sees 2.5 liter (half of 5.0), then you'll be all set. That's why JY turbo systems are almost always twin turbo installations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-02-2003, 04:04 PM

what about the powerstroke diesel turbocharger and intercooler?? I'v seen a couple websites where a single-turbo 5.0 has used one of those.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-02-2003, 06:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Unfortunately, you're not going to find a turbo that will support any good boost or power for your V8 powered car

Woops misunderstood.

But there are junkyard single turbo guys.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jyturbo/
www.turbomustangs.com

2012 GT Magnuson, Velgen, AED, BMR, MGW, ST, Borla
2017 F150 S-Crew 4X4, 3.5 ecoboost/10speed
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
1994 GT Vert- Work In progress!

Last edited by JF90GT; 04-02-2003 at 10:15 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2003, 08:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
he was referring to the fact that you won't find any turbos big enough for a V8 in a junkyard - for doing a single turbo kit...most jy turbos will be small ones off of 4-cylinder cars...he wasn't saying there aren't kits for the V8's b/c we all know that much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement